It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Clinton says 'Make America Great Again' is racist

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Context is everything. If you say "Make America Great Again" while promoting jobs, infrastructure, equal rights for everyone and a living wage - then it isn't related to anything racist.

If you say "Make America Great Again" while promoting ripping 11 million undocumented immigrants out of their homes, banning anyone who worships Islam from coming into the country, and claiming you subscribe to a hard-ass cop who says he knows how to get rid of the Chicago "black problem" in 10 days.... well.....

Exactly. This issue is all about context.

Seems that such a simple concept is hard to digest.

Seems like an even simpler concept like a campaign slogan is also hard to digest.
What was the contextual difference between Reagan's campaign slogan and Trump's campaign slogan?

Campaign policy ideals and rhetoric.

So we're back to YOUR interpretations again to define the context of a campaign slogan as being racist or not. Gotcha.
So you like the candidates policies - ok, you don't - racist!

I did not say they were racist. I said they may appeal to racists, considering the context of their campaigns rhetoric and tactics.

This shouldn't be so hard to understand.

Why would the same language appeal to racists in one case and not the other? The context is exactly the same. Two men running for President and using the same slogan.
Again, the only reason can be your interpretation of the candidate.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Did Bill say he was going to deport all undocumented immigrants and their children who were born here? Did Bill say we should ban all Muslims from coming here? Did Bill say he knew a cop that could get rid of the black problem in Chicago "real fast"?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Did Bill say he was going to deport all undocumented immigrants and their children who were born here? Did Bill say we should ban all Muslims from coming here? Did Bill say he knew a cop that could get rid of the black problem in Chicago "real fast"?

Can you source any of those? Word for word?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Bill said I did not inhale and I did not have sexual relation with that woman. Bill is a Liar how do you put any stock in what he has to say?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: burntheships

Well, did you?

Damn, you guys are so lazy when it comes to debate.

So, exactly what is the valid point again?

Trump's campaign slogan, in context with his campaign-style, may appeal to white racists/bigots.

We can clearly see that in its proper context Hillary Clinton used racial slurs and was promoting Make America Great Again. What, No comment on that again?

Was that statement used to propel a campaign based on racial overtones?

There is not denying she made that statement, but was her campaign in part based on the same premise?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Context is everything. If you say "Make America Great Again" while promoting jobs, infrastructure, equal rights for everyone and a living wage - then it isn't related to anything racist.

If you say "Make America Great Again" while promoting ripping 11 million undocumented immigrants out of their homes, banning anyone who worships Islam from coming into the country, and claiming you subscribe to a hard-ass cop who says he knows how to get rid of the Chicago "black problem" in 10 days.... well.....

Seems like an even simpler concept like a campaign slogan is also hard to digest.
What was the contextual difference between Reagan's campaign slogan and Trump's campaign slogan?

So we're back to YOUR interpretations again to define the context of a campaign slogan as being racist or not. Gotcha.

I did not say they were racist. I said they may appeal to racists, considering the context of their campaigns rhetoric and tactics.

Why would the same language appeal to racists in one case and not the other? The context is exactly the same. Two men running for President and using the same slogan.

The context is not the same. Policy ideas and rhetoric is different.

Did Reagan ever stump on immigration policy and say Mexico is sending their rapists and murderers?
edit on 7-9-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Well, did you?

Trump's campaign slogan, in context with his campaign-style, may appeal to white racists/bigots.

We can clearly see that in its proper context Hillary Clinton used racial slurs and was promoting Make America Great Again. What, No comment on that again?

There is not denying she made that statement, but was her campaign in part based on the same premise?

This is America everything is based on racial overtones. They said the exact same thing I mean cmon you guys are so gullible.

Do you even hear yourself LMAO?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It's awesome watching the lefties squirm over this. I personally love the "microagression" approach of " I think Clinton meant it this way, but trump means it this way"

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: imsoconfused

Well, did you?

This is America everything is based on racial overtones. They said the exact same thing I mean cmon you guys are so gullible.

Do you even have a valid point to make?

Again, being lazy.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Bizarre. I guess crappy campaigns for crappy candidates. If we keep going at this downhill rate, the next election will be between Britney Spears and Courtney Love.

Personally, I think the slogan "Make America Great Again" is anti-American, pessimistic, embarrassing, shameful, and demonstrates a complete and total lack of perspective and knowledge of history. I'm one of those oddballs who thinks America is great already, despite the best efforts of Democrats and Republicans over the past 50 or so years. Sure, I'd tweak a few things, but overall, it's great here.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

One of the greatest tools Hitler and Goebbels used was patriotism...ultra-nationalism.

It can be very dangerous.

So did FDR and Truman.

and JFK and Johnson.

Oh and of course Ike.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

The context is not the same. Policy ideas and rhetoric is different.

So I think his policy ideas are great and I see nothing wrong with his rhetoric. Certainly nothing racist.
Therefore, at the end of the day the words in the slogan are the same and all we are left with is an opinion about Trump.
My position does have the added benefit of the fact that the words are 'Make America Great Again'. I am on pretty safe ground I think to suggest they are not racist or a dog whistle to racists.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

hey this would great in the back window of your truck as well.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Peanut butter may appeal to racists.
Let's ban it. It's obviously racist.
It's all about context. I bet Trump likes peanut butter. Racist.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: imsoconfused

Well, did you?

Do you even have a valid point to make?

Again, being lazy.

My point is you are being deliberately obtuse. If its racism for Trump its racism for Clinton you cant have it both ways.

link   

I posted the video of Bill saying it himself. Did you listen to it?

What does the racial slur "Super Predator" mean?

Hillary Clinton wanted a wall herself, deportation of illegals,
no jobs for them, no drivers licenses.

So yes, exactly the same if not more so

Hillary Cinton Wanted a Wall, Deportation of Illegals, No Jobs etc...

edit on 7-9-2016 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: imsoconfused

Look it up. He screams "NO AMNESTY!" He says Mexico intentionally sends all their criminals to the U.S. He says we shouldn't let any more Muslims in "until we get this thing figured out" (whenever that is). He wants to monitor Muslim neighborhoods. He said he talked to a cop who told him he knew how to solve the Chicago problem in 10 days and he thought that was great. Racists and bigots love this stuff.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I've given this some thought.

I an see how some would consider the phrase racist.

The same people that find, "Make America Great Again" racist, also find "brown bag lunch" racist.

So weak minded people who are looking to become whiny victims will see the above phrase as racist.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman" .....

Pretty much anything he says is mouth boogie. And his opinions are suspect as well. Besides 'Racist' has been just about worn out and meaningless, used for any time a discredit is intended.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Nothing wrong with deporting illegal immigrants - and certainly not racist.
Banning Muslims is not racist - though of course that position has been clarified significantly since then. If you want to go back in history then good old Bill has some cracking statements and actions to account for.
As for the last point, didn't Bill actually send black people to jail in droves through his policies? A bit worse than saying you are going to 'sort out the black problem in Chicago'.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join