It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Votes to Leave EU

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Apparently that's why they were given 90 days notice. That's all that is required for a no fault release I guess. They have already lawyer'd up.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: SprocketUK

if you think Scotland resents England for a decision made by power hungry greedy lords hundreds of years ago you are wrong.

I think everything that's come and gone since has to be added to the ever growing list of reasons Scots resent England.
When I say England I mean the lords and Mp's who make the most ridiculous laws which impinge upon our freedoms
and subjugate us as a people.

Well they do that to us all, so if you can use your nationhood to effect a change, then good on ya.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Vienna dependent on having lived there five years or more. My expat parents are moving back from France as once agreement is reached they lose access to healthcare as they've only lived there three years. My step dad is an ombudsman and has delved into this very thoroughly. www.connexionfrance.com...

As for losing rights, the leave campaigns leading argument was to scrap the human rights act and replace it with a 'Bill of Rights' - while it's uncertain what the 'bill of rights may contain, considering who is backing Boris at the moment the replacement certainly won't work in the favour of average people. For instance take a look at the EU cases that defeated both Labour and Conservative moves towards slavery and denying disabled people a right to existence.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Still waiting for Scotland to tell me how they would be more independent as a insignificant country in the EU with only 6 MEP's and GDP of less that of Greece, than a part of a independent UK union with 59 MP's and a big impact on the UK economy?

Please tell me how this "Independence" works?

From were I stand Scotland don't seem to know the meaning of the word.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

The SNP labour, LIB DEMS an alliance of progressives against the Tory/ukip brigade of old stuffy conservatives . One can hope
Sturgeon, is the most politically astute politician in the uk capable of taking on any Tory coalition

edit on 28-6-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Good article, though it all seems to hinge on the accepted definitions of the rights and the parties (Whether they are nations or individuals).

There is scope for hardening those definitions in the exit talks, I think that's something that is needed now.

Reciprocity would argue against mass deportations of British Expats though.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr

The SNP labour, LIB DEMS an alliance of progressives against the Tory/ukip brigade of old stuffy conservatives . One can hope
Sturgeon, is the most politically astute politician in the uk capable of taking on any Tory coalition

Fine provided they abide by the referendum results.

Democracy has spoken.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewoki

I can't see why they won't stand by the referendum results. The change since the results seems to be good, with people more concerned about fighting the rise of racism spiking of racism on our streets.the populists have been shown up for what they really are

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Sturgeon is just an absolute joke !
I WANT DEMOCRACY BUT I WANT MY DEMOCRACY !

She's just a #ing A HOLE !

The U.K. Has decided so why don't you shut you ugly head and stand in line .

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli

62% of voters in Scotland voted to stay. What part of supporting that result do you think is undemocratic?

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

62% of voters in Scotland voted to stay. What part of supporting that result do you think is undemocratic?

The part where it was still a losing vote .
Move on

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Still waiting for Scotland to tell me how they would be more independent as a insignificant country in the EU with only 6 MEP's and GDP of less that of Greece, than a part of a independent UK union with 59 MP's and a big impact on the UK economy?

Please tell me how this "Independence" works?

From were I stand Scotland don't seem to know the meaning of the word.

59 MPs only one of which is in the party that forms the UK government. The same number as we have in the official opposition.

We can vote 62% percent in favour of staying in EU but potentially still be forced out.

The real power in Europe is the council. As an independent country we would have a representative, as part of the UK we don't.

Due to the wonderful nature of the UK constitution our parliament can be over rulled or disbanded by a simple majority vote in Westminster.

Should I go on?

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

The part where it was still a losing vote .
Move on

No thanks I will just keep pointing out that the majority of us want to stay and there are several ways that could happen.

Or do you think that the point of democracy is that everyone has to agree with the majority?

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Still doesn't change anything .
My view is go it alone but don't come back begging when it goes tits up !and trust me ,it will go tits up ! but at least you can drown your sorrows on Independence Day .

Tbh Scotland has a lot going for it . Yawn .

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

59 MPs only one of which is in the party that forms the UK government. The same number as we have in the official opposition.

And those MP can align with other opposition party's to bloke tory plans.

We can vote 62% percent in favour of staying in EU but potentially still be forced out.

Irrelevant. The majority of the UK voted out. Scotland doesn't have the right to force the majority to stay in the EU. Thats not how democracy works. The remain should have made a better campaign.

The real power in Europe is the council. As an independent country we would have a representative, as part of the UK we don't.

Yeah a unelected bunch of bureaucrats. Sounds great....... And again Scotland would be insignificant compared to the power of Germany and France. You would be a ant to them.

Due to the wonderful nature of the UK constitution our parliament can be over rulled or disbanded by a simple majority vote in Westminster.

Scotland had its chance to leave. You didn't take it.

Your own dam faults.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The EU are lapping up Scotland trying to stand firm !

It may be a little bit of salvation for the EU.

But soon as your in line you will be at the back .

Be warned !

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

You will have to explain to me how they can block the conservatives when they have an outright majority in parliament (from 37% of the vote, yay FPTP).

I am not supporting stopping England and Wales leaving, just don't take us with you.

The council is the national governments, not bureaucrats. At least try and be accurate about what part of the EU it is you are hating on.

Scotland did have its chance to leave. One of the main arguments used by Better Together was that if we look left we would be out of the EU. How is that working out for us now?

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

No thanks I will just keep pointing out that the majority of us want to stay and there are several ways that could happen.

Or do you think that the point of democracy is that everyone has to agree with the majority?

YES AS THAT IS THE WHOLE #ING POINT OF A #ING REFERENDUM!

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

This sums up you, Sturgeon and most the remain voters bitching....

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
a reply to: bastion

Good article, though it all seems to hinge on the accepted definitions of the rights and the parties (Whether they are nations or individuals).

There is scope for hardening those definitions in the exit talks, I think that's something that is needed now.

Reciprocity would argue against mass deportations of British Expats though.

Certainly agree with all that - when there's this much disagreement over interpretation of law, it's obvious the wording of the law is too vague and 'fluffy' for want of a better word.

I highly doubt and hope that EU nations are still going to keep the majority of UK based staff/ex pats - but personally I think the longer the negotiations go on, the weaker our argument and basis will be.

Both Labour and the Conservatives have gone into meltdown right at the time we need a strong and stable government to negotiate in our best interests. Even though I'm pro EU, I'm not naive or stupid enough to think there aren't MEPs and oligarchs looking at what is happening and relishing in how weak we appear.

A new PM and complete overhaul of (shadow) cabinet trying to negotiate against bureaucracy of the EU is like sending a kitten to teach wolves how to hunt - I'm a massive anti-Tory and while I'm a fan of Corbyn, I'm not a fan of Labour - both Parties are surely guilty of treason as they're acting in self/party interests than the interests of the nation or its people.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join