It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Men Only!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
For many years I used to go for a cut throat shave on the weekends to pamper myself, when I lived in countries where that was popular, but since most guys here in China do not have much facial hair, so that is sadly not an option here. The best shaves I have ever had were in Thailand, which was a cutthroat followed by a disposable Bic, I did not need to shave again for three days!

Now I only shave two or three times a week, going for the Don Johnson/Miami Vice designer stubble look most of the time

My weapon of choice is a Gillette 4 blade wotsit and I really like it, but yes the blades are expensive. I have a cheap cutthroat I picked up years ago but don't trust myself to use it.

On a Friday after work, I shave completely - and let it grow again over the weekend ready for the work week (yes, it does grow fast).

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Please add in shaving tips.

Don't use soap. If you need, use shaving cream/gel. Soap makes the pores contract, IIRC, it may be the other way around but whatever. All you really need is hot water and a clean blade. Make sure the face is well soaked in hot water, like in or after the shower.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: new_here I'm so glad I am not a man and am a blonde and dont grow hair-I may not be human-but at least not a man. ug

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   
The cost of blade cartridges are ridiculously high these days.

I use a Fusion, which was purchased at a major supermarket, but all subsequent blades I get from markets that sell the ones made in Germany. It's usually either made in Malaysia or Germany. The German ones are of higher quality and seem to last longer.

My Shaving tip:
Shave after you have showered. The process will be much smoother overall. Yes, some discarded facial hair might stick to your body until your next shower, but it's a small price to pay. Ensure that you devote a small amount of time patting warm water over areas you wish to glide over.

edit on 18/5/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   
My facial hair is so coarse I can only use a disposable maybe twice. I also shave my head however which also hastens my need for more razors.

I get a 5 o clock shadow by 8 AM. I just have to do a Chuck Norris grunt and poof, I have beard.

I go through razor blades like they're tic tacs....cannot seen to find one that will last.

Oh well, there's always me Bowie knife.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
The cost of blade cartridges are ridiculously high these days.

Apparently OPEC has branched out to own milk, razor blades, and hot pockets....

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Thats a nice tip @ Original Post - just dont travel internationally ever okay

Im blessed with a fair hair and because its light brown even blonde in good light, i can get away with a beard trimmer set to minimum and my beard looks like any other razor shaved [after a few hours] - im still using the same dual AA [rechargeable] battery trimmer i got for £6 at a store - when you get something that works stick with it!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I've been using a straight razor for quite a while now. I use a Japanese Kamisori style blade and Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream. It's an excellent shaving cream and you only need a very small bit on the tips of your brush to form a very thick foam. I like the Kamisori style of razor, because there is no handle sticking out to get in your way. Since I switched to a straight razor and a good shaving cream, not that off the shelf crap, I get a much better shave in my skin is not so dry.
ETA : Thought I'd throw in a pic of my Damascus Kamisori

edit on 18-5-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Well, for the money.. these two are the best value for disposable razors. Each comes with a disposable handle and 4 blades and run about $10. Usually, buying a 4 or 5 count box of razor blades costs anywhere from $20-$25 dollars. So, you are saving anywhere from $10- $15 dollars with these.

If you don't have any skin issues and are capable of using just a regular disposable razor..

The Bic Hybrid:

And Bic Soleil (for the girls that are lurking)

Sorry about the pic sizes.. don't feel like re- sizing them though..

Thanks,
blend57
edit on 18-5-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I don't shave except for a portion of my neck and just below my ears-ish. I have a glorious beard and I just trim it with scissors. Any time I do shave I just use disposable Bic style razors, and half the time I shave I don't even bother with water or foam, I just rake it off my face dry and have red skin for an hour lol.

Tempted to wax the parts of my face that don't require beard.

I hate shaving

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Thank you for all the great shaving tips.

I would like to chat with this guy. I think he just got sick of shaving.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Many store brands make replacement blades for the expensive shavers.
I use those. About half the price, same in use.

I like the Gillette one personally....the one with that flex ball. Doesn't even feel like the blade is touching my face, but it works. I use the gel, not the foam, as it just feels better. However, if you can find "shave butter", that's the best stuff.

I do use a beard trimmer first though, to get down any heavy growth.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Thank you for the tip! It seems like if you trim first, shave after, your razor will last longer!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Thank you, David. Your blade looks cool!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I use whatever is cheapest.

If I let my beard grow out, I look like hobo.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

How many shaves do you get with the cheap blades?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

How many shaves do you get with the cheap blades?

Usually a week to two weeks.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

why not just let the kittens lick it off? milk is cheaper.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I use a straight or a double edge. Merker, Omega board brush, and Castle Forbes shave cream. I think the blades on the double are Gillette blacks. I can't use anything else. Mach 3 gives a terrible shave and can't handle my beard. It dulls before I reach the 2nd side of my face. The tools I use are much cheaper in the long run and make shaving a nice experience.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

I feel the same way! The Gillette razors are dull after I am half way thru! Thank you for the tips!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join