It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Men Only!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I use the Gilettes. I get two weeks per blade.

I actually ended up buying a fairly expensive straight edge and just couldn't master it. I wasn't slicing up my face, I just couldn't get a close enough shave with it. Then I tried one of those old school safety razors and had the same problem (went as far as to get a multi pack of different blades to find the best one). I get a better shave with my pocket knife, no joke. Probably doing it wrong. We have some shaving shop at the mall, I might go back and get another tutorial.

Disposable Bic for the boys though. I'm brave.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Hey friend, your new avatar just killed me. I love it!!!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
I use the Gilettes. I get two weeks per blade.

I actually ended up buying a fairly expensive straight edge and just couldn't master it. I wasn't slicing up my face, I just couldn't get a close enough shave with it. Then I tried one of those old school safety razors and had the same problem (went as far as to get a multi pack of different blades to find the best one). I get a better shave with my pocket knife, no joke. Probably doing it wrong. We have some shaving shop at the mall, I might go back and get another tutorial.

Disposable Bic for the boys though. I'm brave.

Shaving with a safety razor is not the same as a disposable. You need to use a lot less pressure, the proper angle, and long....slow....strokes....take....your....time. Using the right lather (shaving soap makes a difference) and a minimum of 2 passes is key. You don't drive a road-yacht the same way you drive a sports-car do you? Same applies to shaving.

You only have one dermis, treat it right and it will last.

Now I feel like the Myagi of shaving here.... HAHAHA

Lather on....lather off...

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

LOL, your great!!! Thank you!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

At least we sorted out who is a man and who is the ruler of men, women!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Shaving with a safety razor is not the same as a disposable. You need to use a lot less pressure

Well f I was doing the opposite. I got fancy shaving stuff and a badger brush (I get on weird kicks, this was one of them). I don't want to dick with a straight razor again, I'm going to try the safety razor once more though.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Beard trimmers and a forever 5 o'clock shadow or styled beard (use a 4 blade Gillette to finish up the shaping once beard trimmer cuts it down to the lowest setting..have had the same blade in it for months without issue)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

What is your trick. Your blade has lasted a long time. I like how Gillette has a blade on the reverse side to fix lose ends!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

styled beard

No.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12
I had a straight razor. It was nice. I didn't shave with it though. I had it in case somebody tried to break into my apartment. You can mess somebody up with one of those.

I shave with a cheapo single blade Bic when I have the tough stuff, about an inch or so. It takes forever but gets it tamed. I have a nice 5 bladed one for when it's not so crazy. It works well but I heard the replacement blades cost as much, if not more, than the actual razor. What a rip off.

Now, I've heard there's a way to resharpen your disposable razors. Here's one method:

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Yes it is a rip off. Nice video! Thank you!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   

That does not actually sharpen them, it "strops them". What that means is it merely bends the very fine end back into shape....sort of like ironing out the folded and wrinkled edge. But, what happens when you bend metal too much? It breaks. And that edge, will not break cleanly...but jaggedly. Frankly, I would not want to shave with THAT edge. Talk about razor burn....that would tear up your skin like a cheese grater.

Stropping a straight razor does not suffer from that nearly as much since the razor edge is not as fine as the disposables. It's another marketing gimmick from someone trying to sell a product that does not care about you or your skin. I would recommend you avoid it like Ebola. Personally, my skin is worth more than saving a few bucks on a gimmick.

edit on 5/17/2016 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
You're welcome. I hope others can find it helpful so they're not getting ripped off.

Here's a funny story.

I ran out of shaving cream when I was a teenager. I didn't want to use soap, as it just wasn't quite right. My sister had just gotten out of a juvenile facility from some trouble she got into. They weren't allowed razors to shave their legs with and used Nair instead. Well she says to use that. I didn't know what it was. I put it on my face like shaving cream and proceeded to shave. THE BURN!!!!!!! Oh holy crap it burned! My face was red for a week! Never, ever, again!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Your funny, naïr on the face and shaved with it ouch, lol.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Opps double post pipped!
edit on 5 17 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
No.

I wish I had hair as great as that.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Yeah, don't do it. You'll thank me later.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Amazon is full of disposable blade sharpeners of several kinds. Some are much like the jeans idea, some actually go between the blades and sharpen like a micro sharpening stone.

I personally like my razors like I like my daily drivers: German. The MicroTouch ToughBlade is effing amazing. I do everything the wrong way. I dont use any kind of cream or lotion, just wet my face and go. I wait 3-5 days between full shaves. I shave strictly against the grain. A single cartridge has gone me 3 weeks (about 10 shaves, not letting the stubble get too long lately). Not a single pulled out hair. No irritation. One swipe and that strip of hair is done. It feels like a baby's finger caressing my face. Pure heaven.

I'd guess I'll get about 2 years out of them (12 cartridges; if I don't resharpen, which I plan to) for $17.99. I couldn't be happier with that purchase.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
How the heck are you guys getting so many shaves out of a blade?

I trim my beard neatly with a trimmer and shave my neck and a small area of my face. (ala Kevin Smith).

I get two shaves out of a blade. (Gillette)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
You know with a title like that, women are going to come in here and see what you guys are up to right? LOL

Actually it is helpful for women as well. Ok, Carry on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join