It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Men Only!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: DBCowboy

why not just let the kittens lick it off? milk is cheaper.

Their tongues are too harsh, I get razor burn.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Try a double edge to save the life of your nice straight. Most people who use strictly straights have a set of 7. There's no way one could just use one straight without it getting worn down fast. That's a nice blade. You don't want to retire it too soon.

Also Castle Forbes lavender>Taylor. Try it sometime. I wasn't into Castle Forbes Sandalwood, but the lavender is one of the all time best creams. Wool fat soap is nice in the winter too.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

lol

yak tongues can actually flay your skin.

yaks eat lichen, which they scrape off of rocks with their tongue.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

The 3 blade system is a terrible idea. What happens is the first blade in the series of 3 dulls the fastest. This means that some hairs will be pulled away from the skin by the dull blade and then cut close by the next blade. The hair will then retract back to the skin and slip beneath it due to the pulling and subsequent cut. This leads to ingrown hairs. Badger and blades is a great resource for learning about double edges. You don't want to go right for a straight razor. Double edges are very classy and deliver the best of both worlds (handheld and straight). Once you go that way you'll never come back to crappy old shave gel and Mach 3s. I think I bought a 500 pack of blades for $20 and my cream is about $45 which also has lasted over a year. You get the luxurious Barber Shop shave for less than what you'd normally pay.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

Thank you, I am ordering this one right now!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Not That It Matters.... BUT...
I Always Rinse Out The Blades After A Shave With Hot Water.
And Then Again.... Before Another Use. Scolding Hot Water.
And Further It With A Simple Rinse In Rubbing Alcohol.
I Leak The Alcohol Onto The Blade In Full... Then Wipe With Tissue.
And Then Soak It Up Under Hot Water. I Soak My Face And Neck In Hot Water Too...
I Never Use Shave Cream... Only A Lotion Like Creamy Aftershave Balm.
I'm All For Closeness... So I Scrape My Face Off With Razor. But... I Only Get Three To Four Shave Per Razor. Always Squeaky Clean Afterwards...

My Sad Story However Is That I Don't Grow A Full Beard... Just A Hairy Face.
I Can't Shave Stubble... It Makes Me Bleed. I Grow Out Four Days... Which Makes For A Smooth Shave. And The Long Hairs Come Off Easily. People Say I'm Amazing After A Shave...
That Inspires Me.

Thanks For The Thread. S&F

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Pinocchio

Thanks friend. I like the tips. You like he hot hot of water and a alcohol drip to pull off the clean shave.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Have to be careful using the lighter, light the hair put it out quickly, repeat. If you fail to put the fire out, depending on thickness you could get third degree burns.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor
We'll be careful. My friend is orthodox Jewish and cannot put metal to his face or hair!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

In that case, have a bucket of water handy, if it's long and thick have the hair already damp.

I wouldn't suggest doing this, it's not quite up there with base jumping without a parachute... but close.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I used a straight razor for two years. One day, my angle of attack was just a wee bit off and I cleaved a significant portion of my cheek. It healed. No scar. That changed my view.

I shave my head and my face. I use a Gillette. You really can keep them sharp by drying the blades and pushing them against your arm several times. It works. One blade last me a month or more. At that rate, I can buy a ten-pack and it last s a year. Not so bad.

In a SHTF situation, I'd have a full beard and a bozo hairdo. That wasn't a good look even for bozo. Thus, I shave the fringe. That is why I have several packs of blades for my razor, because I'm vain. I consider it a necessary part of our survival gear. My Darlin' approves. I would hate to see her looking all yeti, but I'd love her none the less.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

LOL, I gave you star 7,778. It looked cool at 7,777! That must be my problem. After I shave I do not dry the Gillette razor. So this must be why they do not last long. Thank you kindly for your tips!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Holy Crap, this thread got long fast.

I haven't read through it—at all—but wanted to a share this in response to "what do you shave with?".

Several years ago (6?) I, for some strange reason, switched to a double edged razor, brush and shaving soap.

I was tired of those stupid cartridges. For one, they're too expensive. Secondly, it's all a gimmick anyway. First they have one blade then two, then...6. It's all marketing. More blades don't mean a better shave!

Anyway, $30-50 on a badger brush, $30-50 on a razor. Investment.

$10-12 on a bowl of soap that lasts 6 months, and for $20 I can get enough razor blades to last a year.

And a completely closer and better feeling shave.

edit on 18-5-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Due to advise on a post I ordered this today with a brush and the shaving soap. Is this what you use?

Thank you for your tips too!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
rejecting disposable razors in favour of macho cut-throat razors is kind of silly as theyre exactly the same.

you just dont know that you can sharpen disposable razors.
much easier than fantasy cowboy razors i should add.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

Due to advise on a post I ordered this today with a brush and the shaving soap. Is this what you use?

Thank you for your tips too!

Well, mine is not a butterfly razor, but still a DE. Here's a pic.

Same thing, just different way to put in a blade.

Be careful, though. These don't work the same as your cartridge junk. With the latter you scrape it across your face, more or less. With DE, take your time, learn, and let the blade do the work or you'll carve yourself a bit.

Worth it, but there is a learning curve.

ETA: Mine is a Merkur.
edit on 18-5-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Got it I like yours. I just found it for 39.95! I might order yours and send back the other one! Thank you!!!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

How do you sharpen the toss blades? On your pants ?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

Rikku, looks like you need a shave in your photo. Now I have all the tips.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   

You'll cut yourself with that. Won't work. Be careful. The safety razor was a game changer. Electric even better.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join