It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Bust Largest Food Stamp Fraud Operation in U.S. History

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Office of Inspector General has announced a massive bust in what they say is the biggest fraud in food stamp history !!!!

Organized criminals operating in Florida found ways to trade food stamp "benefits" for cash.

Where there's a will there's a way as the saying goes.

Looks like 22 people are under arrest.

But what about all the "participants" that got away with the cash ?

Looks like the Obama LLC failures are adding up.

Obama Food-Stamp Free-for-All: Feds Bust Largest Fraud Operation in U.S. History

President Obama’s expanded food-stamp program certifying flea market retailers as vendors to provide low-income neighborhoods with fresh produce has ripped open a Pandora’s Box of fraud and corruption. This week federal authorities in south Florida busted the largest food-stamp fraud operation in U.S. history. Twenty-two defendants in the largely black and Hispanic areas of Miami-Dade County known as Opa-Locka and Hialeah swindled the government out of $13 million by fraudulently trading food stamps for cash.

The crooked vendors operated food and produce stands at a local flea market as part of First Lady Michelle Obama’s initiative to eradicate “food deserts,” common in poor, minority communities where fresh, healthy food is tough to find or often unavailable. The feds say the business owners and their employees let food-stamp recipients use their welfare benefit to get cash in exchange for a cut of the money. They swiped the recipient’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) card (the government created the name to avoid stigma) for an inflated amount, doled out cash and kept a percentage. In most instances the recipient didn’t actually get food, according to federal authorities. “These flea market retailers are charged with having taken advantage of a provision in the SNAP program designed to provide locally sourced fresh produce and meat to low income families who otherwise would likely have no option for such food items,” said a special agent with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Office of Inspector General in an announcement. The USDA funds food stamps, which are then distributed by states.

SNAP Crackle POP

edit on May-16-2016 by xuenchen because: checking for valid I.D.

+7 more 
posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

So it is somehow Obama's fault that people are abusing a system?
Ya, never happened before Obama, you are right.

+7 more 
posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

It sure is Obama's fault.

His systems fail to provide crime prevention.

It's Obama that is committing economic insurrection on American Taxpayers.

His failures are getting exposed and are piling up high enough to walk into outer space.

+5 more 
posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

So Obama made the store owners illegally take benefits from the people?
What exact measures were in place before Obama that he lifted that would have prevented this?

+20 more 
posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

If gun manufacturers can be sued under the presumption they are somehow responsible for the actions of an individual with their weapons, why can't Obama be held responsible for the abuse of policy enacted during his tenure and the actions of others?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: paradoxious

They can't be, sure people have tried, but it has always been thrown out.

And maybe you can answer how he was personally responsible for this abuse, what did he change that made them able to do this that they were not able to previously?

+3 more 
posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

So Obama made the store owners illegally take benefits from the people?
What exact measures were in place before Obama that he lifted that would have prevented this?

He provided the wide open doorways of opportunity.

He provided "access to" the opportunities.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Right? It's Obama's fault, but the "FEDS", aka The Obama Adminstration, busted them!

I thought Food Stamps programs were administrated through county and state guidelines, in this case "Florida"? But, I see, these flea market swindlers are all part of Obama's plan to ruin the USA! LOL

edit on 16-5-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The naivete it requires to blame one person for such problems is just amazing to say the least.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: paradoxious

If gun manufacturers can be sued under the presumption they are somehow responsible for the actions of an individual with their weapons, why can't Obama be held responsible for the abuse of policy enacted during his tenure and the actions of others?

Anyone can be sued for anything, but if you checked your example they were sued and found not liable.

I can sue people for posting idiotic things that doesn't mean I will win in court.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Anyone can be sued for anything, but if you checked your example they were sued and found not liable.

I can sue people for posting idiotic things that doesn't mean I will win in court.

Very true.

Still doesn't absolve Obama from the guilt associated with creating the atmosphere within which this abuse of the system occurred.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

So you can't name anything except something vague. It was shop owners that were taking advantage of the system, that isn't even the people on the food stamps. Also it was his admin that busted them, which I'm sure you'll just say was all part of the plan.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
As good of news as this is, it's a mere $13M over the course of two years. The investigation alone probably cost half of that. I understand that waste is waste, but it's pennies on the large scale of things and I think the better way to cutting waste is going after military waste (useless wars), Medicaid waste and corporate welfare.

Just to put the $13M into perspective... Miami has a budget of around $600m. $13M out of $600M over the course of two years equates to 1.08%.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: paradoxious

Ooooh the 'atmosphere'. He created an atmosphere for people to commit a crime?
Man you all try so hard, why can't it just be people who took it upon themselves to scam a system and commit a crime? Now they face 20 years in prison for it.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Very true.

Still doesn't absolve Obama from the guilt associated with creating the atmosphere within which this abuse of the system occurred.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Obama didn't create the atmosphere. It's been around for half a century. As long as we have programs like this, we will have people who abuse it or take advantage of it. There's always going to be scammers.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Create the problem and swoop in with the solution.

Problem solved.

Classic Obama.

He often takes credit for solving his own manufactured failures.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Must be a slow news day when SNAP fraud is somehow linked to Obama in a thread.

That's usually what happens. When in doubt, just manufacture outrage!

I got stuck at a train crossing this morning. I blame Trump. He probably had some money invested somewhere in the rail line or the stuff being moved by train. I'm sure one of his mutual funds is invested somehow. Yep, I blame Trump this morning for the train making me stop.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: charolais

Great.

Diminish and dissolve the problem into a minor offense.

You know this $13 million is actually 1% of the fraud that never gets caught.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

You never know do you.

Maybe a Trump company was slow paying a bill.

Or a Trump employee made a mistake on an employee's paycheck.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
It's just satisfying to know that once Obama is out of office, all of these kind of shanigans will stop. Yes. ALL OF IT!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join