It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Bust Largest Food Stamp Fraud Operation in U.S. History

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: paradoxious

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: neo96

Liberal logic? I guess any logic is better than no logic, amirite conservatives?

Facts, logic, common sense all escape you and I'm sure it's Obamas fault too.

Oh, come on. You can make a better argument than that... can't you?

No social engineering must be defended at all costs.

No matter as per the topic.

Gotta make them evil bankers, and makers of 'free' GMO food, JP Morgan, and Monsanto billions.

edit on 16-5-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I haven't been to our flea market since the building was condemned and they were forced to move it, but yea, there were a few growers selling there. there are a few places that they sell at that kind of have a flea market atmosphere.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Meanwhile Verizon got a tax refund of 732 million dollars in 2015.

Meanwhile like every other American that gets 'refunds'.

Just gave the US government an interest 'free' loan because they over paid their taxes.

But,But,But corporations 'don't' pay taxes

edit on 16-5-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: network dude

So that made the people take advantage of it? Or should we just let the possibility of criminals doing something dictate what we do?

Why do you all want to shift the blame? The people at fault here are the ones that did something illegal.

Maybe read what I responding to, poster said there should have been a crime prevention measure.

Obama didn't teach them how to break the law or anything, but the way this program was expanded, it left an opening for crime to be committed where this particular angle didn't exist before. In the past, crackheads had to work for their $ and buy steaks to sell for $. It's OK to be liberal, just don't let that blind you to facts.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: paradoxious

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: neo96

Liberal logic? I guess any logic is better than no logic, amirite conservatives?

Facts, logic, common sense all escape you and I'm sure it's Obamas fault too.

Oh, come on. You can make a better argument than that... can't you?

No social engineering must be defended at all costs.

No matter as per the topic.

Gotta make them evil bankers, and makes of 'free' GMO food, JP Morgan, and Monsanto billions.

One has to love those adolescent "I know you are but what am I?" and "I am rubber; you are glue. It bounces off me and sticks on you!" type arguments.

One doesn't have to be very intelligent to see that when liberal tactics are turned around and used against them they have nothing to fall back on other than denial- "We're not like that!"; transference- "That's what you do!"; and elitism- "You're not as smart as us so you don't understand it!" to bolster their position.

Yeah. I said it, and will say it again:

Obama's policies created the situation that led to the ability of people to take advantage of a program intended to help those in need. The people perpetrating the crime, both the vendors and the patrons, are enabled by and are products of the entitlement mentality created by the system.

To add, this is very little different than the housing bust and bank bailouts that were a direct result of policies enabled and enacted by Clinton in the '90s. The biggest difference is those came to fruition while Bush was in office. Liberals were all too happy to blame Bush for that, though he had nothing really to do with it. They shouldn't be so hypocritical about their policies and the effects they have... and who's ultimately responsible for their failures.

And the most hypocritical thing is had this SNAP fraud happened in 2017 and a Republican was president, they'd blame that president and not the one who enabled the situation for this fraud to occur in the first place.

... and they hate getting called out on it.

edit on 16-5-2016 by paradoxious because: fixing my frustrations

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Around here gatherings for this type of sales is called Farmers Market. I can see how a flea market could have such vendors though.

I still feel the shaddyness out weighs that honesty.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
our city has a big area in downtown that has been an outdoor market probably as long as the city has been here. it has it all. flea vendors to small gardeners, to farmers. would the writers of this article call it a flea market?? I have no idea. but, to me anything that helps the small farmers in my area keep their farms under their control instead of forcing them to sell out to the big corps is good in my book!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Remove SNAP and replace it with a privatized version of the same thing.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman
and tell me, how much money would the ones running such a privatized scheme earn compared to the gov't employees doing it now? and... why would they be immune from being just as fraudulent, but on a much bigger scale?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'm a little curious as to how street vendors in a flea market have access to scanning EBT cards and getting approvals for the sales....

Every similar system used by stores and such here requires either a dial-up or similar connection to the network.

edit on 16-5-2016 by paradoxious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Waste - Fraud - Abuse

We all know where welfare and food stamps are concerned, the above three are rampant.

That's why we need somebody running the show that understands that people will always screw taxpayer-funded programs like that and put in place ways to keep it from happening.

Taxpayers are getting sick and tired of their taxes being used and abused like this. There are real people that need real help, but there are always the turds that will find a way to mess it up.

Now---I would like to research whether or not some of these so-called "vendors" got government grant money to set these produce markets up under Michelle O's initiatives.
edit on 16-5-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: paradoxious

maybe like this??

pappc.payanywhere.com... Bsale&utm_device=c&utm_network=g&utm_placement=&utm_content=&mkwid=s_dc|pcrid|91874708802|pkw|%2Bpoint%20%2Bof%20%2Bsale|pmt|b&gclid=CJvS4o--38wCFQqoa Qodo-kMaA

or this

Instructions: To use your SNAP, go to the Market Information Tent, tell the staff how much money you would like to spend, and they will swipe your EBT card for the amount you request. You're then given your requested amount in $1 wooden tokens.

The same rules apply to SNAP at farmers markets as any other merchant. SNAP dollars are not eligible for hot/prepared foods/concessions (sandwiches, ice cream, etc) or non-food items (soap, flowers, etc). SNAP tokens are valid for produce, meat, eggs, dairy, breads/bakery items, honey, jam, and packaged foods. No change is given.

If you don't use all your tokens that day, you can save them to use another day, or at any of the other FRESHFARM Markets. Tokens never expire.

To see if you qualify for EBT/Food Stamps, contact:

1. District of Columbia Department of Human Services at 202-727-5355 or online.
2. State of Maryland Department of Human Services at 800-332-6347 or online.
3. Virginia Department of Social Services at 855-635-4370 or online.

freshfarmmarkets.org...

edit on 16-5-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

maybe like this??

pappc.payanywhere.com... Bsale&utm_device=c&utm_network=g&utm_placement=&utm_content=&mkwid=s_dc|pcrid|91874708802|pkw|%2Bpoint%20%2Bof%20%2Bsale|pmt|b&gclid=CJvS4o--38wCFQqoa Qodo-kMaA

EBT has a different authentication mechanism than that.

EBT vendors have unique ID's assigned to them and the system validates in real-time, or more accurately at time of checkout, what items purchased are eligible for coverage by EBT funds and separates ineligible items out for a secondary payment mechanism. By necessity, a "live" connection to the system is required, as I mentioned above.

*edit: you edited while I was replying.

Your post explains EXACTLY how they are able to get around the system and why this fraud occurred. The system is not intended to be used that way- EBT "credit" is not supposed to be exchanged for any other method of payment other than through the system.

edit on 16-5-2016 by paradoxious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

well, that leaves option number two, which I have to say, it is probably rather easy to sell little wooden tokens...

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

well, that leaves option number two, which I have to say, it is probably rather easy to sell little wooden tokens...

I edited my post after realizing you edited yours.

EBT is a "Point of Sale" transaction, ergo not eligible for conversion to other methods of currency.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Now---I would like to research whether or not some of these so-called "vendors" got government grant money to set these produce markets up under Michelle O's initiatives.

Well, here you go!

www.letsmove.gov...

Healthy Food Financing Initiative

The Healthy Food Financing Initiative, launched by the Obama administration, is a partnership between the U.S. Departments of Treasury, Agriculture and Health and Human Services to provide financing for developing and equipping grocery stores, small retailers, corner stores, and farmers markets selling healthy food in underserved areas.

Lack of access contributes to poor diet and can lead to higher levels of obesity and other diet-related diseases, such as diabetes and heart disease. But, this is a solvable problem. And that is why the Healthy Food Financing Initiative provides financing tools for healthy food retailers in the form of tax credits, grants, or low-cost loans and technical assistance. In addition, this initiative serves the dual purpose of not only facilitating access to healthy food options, but also providing employment and business development opportunities in low-income communities.

Farmers' markets are another innovative yet simple approach in solving healthy food access issues in many of our communities. Many markets now participate in the WIC, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Double Dollar, and senior benefits program so that fresh produce is not out of reach for those with limited or fixed incomes.

Through these initiatives and private sector engagement, the Administration is working to eliminate food deserts across the country within seven years.

And here's more.
www.healthyfoodaccess.org...

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
We should all know this by now, this is from people who said that Obama would destroy america with ebola.

They know they already lost, all they have left is blaming everyone else for there own failures.

I had to work overtime yesterday, damn you obama.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

no doubt man, the country is in the best shape it's ever been in, all thanks to the big O. Jobs are up, economy is humming right along, and everyone is filthy rich. What a super job President Obama has done for us all. Healthcare is the most affordable is been in days. I could go on forever here. But I'm gushing, so I'll stop.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

no doubt man, the country is in the best shape it's ever been in, all thanks to the big O. Jobs are up, economy is humming right along, and everyone is filthy rich. What a super job President Obama has done for us all. Healthcare is the most affordable is been in days. I could go on forever here. But I'm gushing, so I'll stop.

Yea thats it change the goal post, i never said Obama was a good president, but keep on blaming him for everything and playing the victim, works real good.

edit on 16-5-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

so calling him out for something he flucked up is bad because..........republicans suck. got it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join