It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Bust Largest Food Stamp Fraud Operation in U.S. History

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

so calling him out for something he flucked up is bad because..........republicans suck. got it.

Saying its Obama fault that people broke the law is funny at best, if you need a safe spot just say so, i know some liberals who could rent you one.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

So since obama expanded a program it his fault that people used it in a way that it wasn't intended?

Yeah, I am totally the one blind to the facts here. Let's make sure we don't do anything in the future that someone one somewhere can misuse.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: network dude

So since obama expanded a program it his fault that people used it in a way that it wasn't intended?

Yeah, it's his fault he expanded the program in a way that let people use it in unintended manners.

Liberals waking up to the fallacies they live under?
probably not....

Yeah, I am totally the one blind to the facts here. Let's make sure we don't do anything in the future that someone one somewhere can misuse.

Isn't that the mantra liberals use?
Ban this or that so people can't misuse it?
Supposedly, that works for guns, so why not SNAP benefits?
... that way everyone is equal and has no advantage over anyone else?

edit on 16-5-2016 by paradoxious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

a reply to: dukeofjive696969

no doubt man, the country is in the best shape it's ever been in, all thanks to the big O. Jobs are up, economy is humming right along, and everyone is filthy rich. What a super job President Obama has done for us all. Healthcare is the most affordable is been in days. I could go on forever here. But I'm gushing, so I'll stop.

I know, right?

Money and happiness are just shooting out our asses!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The fact that you can use food stamps at most fast food locations tells you everything you need to know about the system. I love food stamp people. I usually wait until the first or 15th of the month to do any major grocery shopping because people will sell their food stamps for .50 cents on the dollar. Meaning they will buy me $100 worth a groceries and I hand them a $50. Its great for me and they have so many side and under the table incomes that they don't care either. Sometimes when they get really desperate they will even take .25 cents on the dollar. Usually closer to the end of the month. Im paying for the system out of my checks anyway. Might as well make a little back.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
The fact that you can use food stamps at most fast food locations tells you everything you need to know about the system. I love food stamp people. I usually wait until the first or 15th of the month to do any major grocery shopping because people will sell their food stamps for .50 cents on the dollar. Meaning they will buy me $100 worth a groceries and I hand them a $50. Its great for me and they have so many side and under the table incomes that they don't care either. Sometimes when they get really desperate they will even take .25 cents on the dollar. Usually closer to the end of the month. Im paying for the system out of my checks anyway. Might as well make a little back.

Now that's an ignorant post.

Who'd have thought I'm unemployed and receive such benefits?

We cannot use the EBT card at ANY FAST FOOD location. That's an "indigent" program type thing... which existed in California "before" all this other stuff came about.

Yep, I'm on the inside looking out.

And we get about $275 a month to feed 3 people... in California.

Do the math.

That's less than $10 a day to feed 3. Ground beef is around $4-5 a pound. Chicken is around $1-3 per pound; pork is $3-7 per pound.
Potatoes are $2-3 per pound; onions are about the same.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: paradoxious

Yes it is his 'fault' he extended the program, but that does not some how make it his fault people decided to act on their own to commit fraud. Do you blame Obama for the poster above that admits he takes part in the problem?

Isn't that the mantra liberals use? Ban this or that so people can't misuse it? Supposedly, that works for guns, so why not SNAP benefits? ... that way everyone is equal and has no advantage over anyone else?

If they do they are wrong, I don't think manufactures should be blamed for what gun owners do. W
Now why would you apply a thought process you don't agree with here tho...

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Where are all those poor Obama voters going to get their crack coc aine, cigarettes, booze, new cell phones, sneakers and big screen tvs from now?

I can't speak for others but I've never touched coc aine or cigarettes in my life. I've had alcohol less than 5 times. My cell phone is a prepay that was given to me as a gift and has a current market value of about $5. I don't own a TV much less a big screen. And the last 3 pairs of shoes I've had (which lasted 5 years) were given to me by the elderly who were no longer mobile enough to use them.

As far as flea markets, I don't know about that but I don't see the problem. I do know however that I've rather enjoyed being able to use EBT at the farmers market (does that count as a flea market?). It lets me get fresher food, usually for less money, and support local business.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Obama didn't teach them how to break the law or anything, but the way this program was expanded, it left an opening for crime to be committed where this particular angle didn't exist before. In the past, crackheads had to work for their $ and buy steaks to sell for $. It's OK to be liberal, just don't let that blind you to facts.

Everything leaves an opening for crime. We're talking about the largest SNAP fraud cases of all time and it's a mere 22 people for $13 million over 2 years. That's a monthly income per person of $24,621 per person. Pretty small time crime in my opinion, worth fixing of course... but lets be realistic about this.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: John_Rodger_Cornman
Remove SNAP and replace it with a privatized version of the same thing.

A privatized version of farm subsidies? That's all SNAP is, and that's why it continues to get funding. It has nothing to do with humanitarian or social reasons, it exists 100% because it's a way to give the agriculture industry money without it looking like pandering.

originally posted by: paradoxious
I'm a little curious as to how street vendors in a flea market have access to scanning EBT cards and getting approvals for the sales....

Every similar system used by stores and such here requires either a dial-up or similar connection to the network.

At the local farmers market, what you do is you pay for your groceries first and purchase some tokens. For example I can purchase $20 worth of tokens for the market, then I exchange those tokens with the vendors just as if they were cash. When I'm done, I can give the change back and get it refunded to the EBT or just hang onto the tokens for next time. It's the same way that people with debit and credit cards pay because it only requires one machine to process payments rather than one machine per vendor.

The fact that you can use food stamps at most fast food locations tells you everything you need to know about the system. I love food stamp people. I usually wait until the first or 15th of the month to do any major grocery shopping because people will sell their food stamps for .50 cents on the dollar.

In most states you cannot purchase hot prepared meals with food stamps which rules out fast food and restaurants. California and a couple other states have changed the rules to allow it (which is a good thing actually, food is food and I would rather people buy fast food than sell for cash to buy fast food) but the vast majority do not.

edit on 16-5-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Yes it is his 'fault' he extended the program, but that does not some how make it his fault people decided to act on their own to commit fraud. Do you blame Obama for the poster above that admits he takes part in the problem?

Isn't that the mantra liberals use? Ban this or that so people can't misuse it? Supposedly, that works for guns, so why not SNAP benefits? ... that way everyone is equal and has no advantage over anyone else?

If they do they are wrong, I don't think manufactures should be blamed for what gun owners do. W
Now why would you apply a thought process you don't agree with here tho...

Do you blame Bush for the bank bail outs... or Clinton for putting those mechanisms in to place?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Obama didn't teach them how to break the law or anything, but the way this program was expanded, it left an opening for crime to be committed where this particular angle didn't exist before. In the past, crackheads had to work for their $ and buy steaks to sell for $. It's OK to be liberal, just don't let that blind you to facts.

Everything leaves an opening for crime. We're talking about the largest SNAP fraud cases of all time and it's a mere 22 people for $13 million over 2 years. That's a monthly income per person of $24,621 per person. Pretty small time crime in my opinion, worth fixing of course... but lets be realistic about this.

Exactly, well said. Corruption in other sectors far outweigh the crime that goes on with benefits. Unfortunately many of the recipients are painted as the bad ones deflecting from the greed that is seemingly allowed to be gotten away with in other areas.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I blame the banks.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Here in AZ every fast food joint from Burger King to Jack in the Box has big "NOW ACCEPTING EBT" signs in the window. You used to nor be able to purchase hot food on EBT but lobbying changed all that real quick.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
What amazes me the most are the EBT queens. They are usually the overweight rude barely dressed women with 6 kids clinging onto them that smell like an ashtray. They will go to a gas station and purchase $30 bucks worth of candy bars and sodas for the whole family and of course, they pay for the junk with EBT. Then when it comes time for smokes and beer she busts out the sweaty boob cash to pay.

IDK about the rest of the world but if you need assistance purchasing necessity's to feed yourself then you shouldn't be allowed to purchase luxuries like smokes and booze.

But that would just bring about a whole new level of government supervision that I wouldn't wish upon anybody. Sadly the movie Idiocracy is becoming a reality these days. We are rewarding the weak and lazy allowing them to live when natural selection would have killed them in their adolescence. 100 years ago if you didn't work you didn't eat (well) and you probably died. Today we just give it to you for free Its not luxury living but its a lot better living than the rest of the world.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

So you think I should die because I get a SNAP allotment of $70/month which comprises 10% of my total income?

You know who I always see buying the junk food in stores? It's not people with EBT, it's everyone else. People with EBT really, really can't afford it.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

What amazes me the most are the EBT queens. They are usually the overweight rude barely dressed women with 6 kids clinging onto them that smell like an ashtray. They will go to a gas station and purchase $30 bucks worth of candy bars and sodas for the whole family and of course, they pay for the junk with EBT. Then when it comes time for smokes and beer she busts out the sweaty boob cash to pay.

IDK about the rest of the world but if you need assistance purchasing necessity's to feed yourself then you shouldn't be allowed to purchase luxuries like smokes and booze.

But that would just bring about a whole new level of government supervision that I wouldn't wish upon anybody. Sadly the movie Idiocracy is becoming a reality these days. We are rewarding the weak and lazy allowing them to live when natural selection would have killed them in their adolescence. 100 years ago if you didn't work you didn't eat (well) and you probably died. Today we just give it to you for free Its not luxury living but its a lot better living than the rest of the world.

No you shouldn't be allowed to purchase smokes or booze with the FS card, commonly you can't anyway, unless the store has a glitch in the system.

What's the solution then to an ever growing but ever so needed issue then? Namely for the low income who use and abuse-who seem less than other parts of the societal structure that abuses resources? Is it fair to the ones who do not abuse it?

Foodbanks now more than ever are strapped on supplies due to less donations because of downturns in the overall economy. History says the "poor farm" almshouses that were used for the poor before welfare were not a solution.

Conveniently the whole of the manufacturing industry was sent overseas. At the same time Chase Bank who runs these FS cards is cashing in big on benefits system. In the end it's all about money and greed.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I blame the banks.
The banks were only following policies Clinton and friends put into place.

So who was really responsible?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Here in AZ every fast food joint from Burger King to Jack in the Box has big "NOW ACCEPTING EBT" signs in the window. You used to nor be able to purchase hot food on EBT but lobbying changed all that real quick.
Every fast food place around here has those EBT signs too. But there's a difference between SNAP and other benefits available with that EBT card.

I really do know that fact, and embarrassed myself to my nephew when I tried to get him a burger at Jack in the Box using our card and it was declined because we were on "CalFresh" and not on the program for "needy" families.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   

The banks, they didn't have to do anything.

Who do you think lobbied for those polices btw?

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join