It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How BushCo. Supports Our War Vets

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me in the least. Once the politicians have used the troops for their agenda, they are surplus to requirement. It's not just Bush either, its been going on for as long as I can remember. Once the troops get back, they are lauded for a little while (as long as it's only lip-service and doesn't cost the Government anything) and then left to rot.

It makes me wonder why people bother to join the armed forces in the first place.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Here's an interesting survey from NBC. You can vote, too.

It's Official, America Knows Bush is a Traitor to the Troops:
NBC News Survey
www.supportthetruth.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I am also a veteran with service connected disability. We have good organization across the USA to contact. For you younger vets I would advise accordingly to if you have needs, make sure you are mature about talking to people at VA hospitals. Being negative does not help either. If a vet is having that much problems seeing a doctor for related service, then go to VFW, VET centers, or others who work to help vets. These people are veterans too and can help a great deal. Yes we do have a problem with some VA hospitals. East, this kind of matter needs to be addressed to the veterans organization of your concern. I say to you we have them lobbying congress every time they are in session fighting for the vets. Slow process I hate to say but they are on it. You got a better benefit than you realize compared to when I was in. Must understand we know what is going on, civilian who never serve may get the wrong idea that we have no support. To state to you that people turn their heads when the veterans do ask people for donation for the disabled. Talking is one thing, doing is more achieveable. Do not get me wrong on what I am saying.
I do not blame anyone for what I am facing in my life, not even the government. Why get mad and hate. Please make sure you respect those before you and tone down. As you can see by my two marks of trouble I have been in lately........lol I am the old Armed Forces with the compassion of life and others. Remarks I have been seeing from you has been off the wall you might say. It is so easy to blame the government, it is not just Bush. You have to make the best out of bad situations in life. I hope that I did not bore you. Thank you for serving and not all VA hospitals are bad. The veterans organization is working very hard with congress. Yes, both sides are saying what this says and that. Government trying to do cut back as you know what I mean. take care and give a shout, if you want. One vet to another. Thank you for your time.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I salute your service to this country and I'm sorry you paid the price in flesh.

Thankfully, I have yet to need services. I hear about it, though, from my friends who do. (They're one Korean War POW, Vietnam vets and one from Desert Storm.) They say the vet hospital in Raleigh, NC is pretty good. The one in Asheville, not so good. (In case anyone's from NC and needs services.) My Desert Storm friend lives in Clarksville, TN and recieves care at Ft. Campbell. She sez they're pretty good, too.

At times I've thought about going to work for the VA. I believe we vets have a responsibility to speak up and fight for those who come after us. That oath we took is for life, not just while in uniform.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I salute your service to this country and I'm sorry you paid the price in flesh.

Thankfully, I have yet to need services. I hear about it, though, from my friends who do. (They're one Korean War POW, Vietnam vets and one from Desert Storm.) They say the vet hospital in Raleigh, NC is pretty good. The one in Asheville, not so good. (In case anyone's from NC and needs services.) My Desert Storm friend lives in Clarksville, TN and recieves care at Ft. Campbell. She sez they're pretty good, too.

At times I've thought about going to work for the VA. I believe we vets have a responsibility to speak up and fight for those who come after us. That oath we took is for life, not just while in uniform.

I feel the same way, kid. We do have to speak out, that is why we have DAV, VFW, American Legion, VietNam Vets centers, and others who are the watch dog when congress is in sessions. They have to follow the rules for engaugement of polictical forum. Yep, some VA are good and others seams to be not what you would exspect. I may not agree with you on things, kid, but what you have written here has been an honor. See ya later on the boards.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by PolarBearExpress
I may not agree with you on things, kid, but what you have written here has been an honor. See ya later on the boards.

Thanks, man. I 'preciate it. Thanks for your service, too.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Spurring Jsobecky on, ECK?
Can't make a critical comment concerning what one has presented without provoking or making insinuations to another member?

There is a distinct difference between a critical comment concerning what one presents versus an attempt to provoke, isn't there?

As for this comment made by none other than you:

The vets I know hate the crap they have to go through these days.

Seems to me that what you say and claim amounts to hearsay and your word versus anyone else's, huh?
Amazing that my father, as I, have had no problems with VA benefits, and he is a three-tour Vietnam vet. Interesting. Some complain while other don't. Same as it has always been, till you, and others, decide to politicize it. The VA system is not perfect and has inherent problems, been happening since the end of WWII; join the crowd of those who are discontent, but politicizing it, serves no one and no purpose.

seekerof

[edit on 14-1-2005 by Seekerof]

I have to say I agree with seeker of my biological father and two past stepfathers and my father nlaw now and former fathern law , all have stated while the process can run a pen out of ink they never had problems getting help and they still have the same level of pleasure with the care and that cut backs have not touch on the service provided to them in any way other the change from name brand drug use in exchange for generic , but they say the name dont matter because its the same drug and they dont have a problem one with getting the care they need.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by drbryankkruta
I have to say I agree with seeker

That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion, like everyone else. Seekerof doesn't much like anything I have to say, on any subject. Just so ya know.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I have to say I agree with seeker

That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion, like everyone else. Seekerof doesn't much like anything I have to say, on any subject. Just so ya know.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

I dont know your history but I know what I have read here and it makes since this time , but I dont have a working issue against you , I just took what I saw and responded , so dont think I dont like you or your posts cause I care about all opinions and if the roles where reversed I would have agreed with you despite what issues you to have against each other, I just made a fair assesment based on my opinion of the facts not the people involved, we are cool I have no problem with you personally okay.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
No problemo.

Hopefully, this thread might help someon down the line in some way, big or small. That's why everyone's point of view matters. We all have something to add to it.

I hope more vets share their experiences here.

My friend swung by yesterday on his way home from the VA hospital. He thinks a lot of those guys up there. He wasn't too happy, tho, that they wanted to keep him overnight w/no notice. He got out of it somehow.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

No problemo.

Hopefully, this thread might help someon down the line in some way, big or small. That's why everyone's point of view matters. We all have something to add to it.

I hope more vets share their experiences here.

My friend swung by yesterday on his way home from the VA hospital. He thinks a lot of those guys up there. He wasn't too happy, tho, that they wanted to keep him overnight w/no notice. He got out of it somehow.

Atleast that shows some kind of concern on their part if they wanted to keep him for some kind of observation, despite no notice I think the fact they thought enough to ask him to stay I would have stayed because they would not ask if they didnt need to. You may want to get him to reconsider.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
He's fine. He had the same procedure done (on his other foot) last year. It was fairly simple. He had some things he had to come back and attend to, so he made an appointment for the end of the month. I'll be taking him over b/c he won't be able to drive coming home. That'll give me a chance to check it out & meet the folks. Concern appreciated, tho.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

He's fine. He had the same procedure done (on his other foot) last year. It was fairly simple. He had some things he had to come back and attend to, so he made an appointment for the end of the month. I'll be taking him over b/c he won't be able to drive coming home. That'll give me a chance to check it out & meet the folks. Concern appreciated, tho.

Hey no problem it was a pleasure despite some opinions people have about me around here I care equally about everyone enemy , friend , or in your friends case those that are unknown ya know what I mean.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Hey no problem it was a pleasure despite some opinions people have about me around here I care equally about everyone enemy , friend , or in your friends case those that are unknown ya know what I mean.

No enemies here!

Thanks for contributing.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
ECK;

I hope your friend in Clarksville has better doctors than my father did. He served 24 years in the Army, including 2 1/2 years in Vietnam. Blanchfield Army hospital killed him by incompetence.

As far as V.A hospitals, Nashville is the worst I have ever seen. I drive 200 miles to Memphis V.A because they are definately better. Unfortunately they to are having problems with scheduling. All they do now is pump me full of Percocet and tell me to come back when I have a problem.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat
As far as V.A hospitals, Nashville is the worst I have ever seen. I drive 200 miles to Memphis V.A because they are definately better. Unfortunately they to are having problems with scheduling. All they do now is pump me full of Percocet and tell me to come back when I have a problem.

Sorry to hear that, Tomcat. I've heard some pretty bad reports out of Florida. Someone going in for one surgery, for example, and having a limb cut off - mistakenly. Stuff like that.

Unfortunately, my friend in Clarksville, Tn. doesn't have any control over where she goes and who she sees b/c of the nature of her condition. It has to do with where she served and what she did there. Her records are held under tight control and only certain doctors are allowed access to her.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
So more evidence of Bush giving another slap and reward to the services of vets, in his new budget proposal he is going to cut benefits to veterans, my husband also a veteran from the first war and a retired Marine is outrage, we use the government insurance, Bush plans to increased the deductibles and on top of that Medicaid is also going to be cut.

My husband's father is a disable veteran in his seventies and so my father, It sound wonderful.

So bush followers how do you feel about that one, Oh.....let's ask to our senior vets I bet they are talking already.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The silence is deafening, Marg.

Yes, Bush (in his budget) is repaying our veterans by slashing their benefits. It's shameful. But hey - Rummy gets lots of new money to play with. HooWah.

Here's an article discussing homeless vets and some of the difficulties they face in seeking/getting help.

Homeless vets wait years for aid
February 6, 2005

BY CHERYL L. REED Staff Reporter

John Staresinich is a Purple Heart veteran who has slept in cracks in highway overpasses and abandoned cars, camped out in thin tents next to railroad tracks and fought off rats and bugs in Chinatown flophouses.

In December, he was diagnosed with severe combat-related post-traumatic stress disorder -- 32 years after returning from Vietnam -- and is now getting help from the federal Veterans Affairs in Chicago. He says it took more than a year of begging that agency.

"Soldiers from Iraq are going to come back with PTSD," said Staresinich, 54. "I hope they treat them sooner than they did me."

Mental health experts are predicting that as many as one-third of all Iraqi veterans will suffer from PTSD, a disabling disorder characterized by flashbacks and war nightmares. A similar percentage of Vietnam veterans have been diagnosed with the disorder -- although it took decades for the government to recognize, treat and compensate those veterans.
www.suntimes.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I don'[t get it how Bush is going to help veterans if he is cutting benefits?

Can a Bush supporter please answer that one for me.................!

And yes I though that most of our Vietnam vets, are being well taken care off, that is what most of us wants to picture.

Now we are having another round of Iraq disable vets and things are going to be just peachy for them.

This is a shame.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I don'[t get it how Bush is going to help veterans if he is cutting benefits?

I'm sorry, could you point out the benefit cutting here:
VA Budget

WASHINGTON – Secretary of Veterans Affairs Jim Nicholson announced today that President Bush will seek a record $70.8 billion in the fiscal year 2006 budget for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), with the overwhelming majority of these resources targeted for health care and disability compensation.

Perhaps I missed the part where he is cutting the benefits, while at the same time he proposes record budget levels.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join