It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How BushCo. Supports Our War Vets

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
This is scary I have never seen so many mods in one thread before.
and is still open?

Me, either.

I must be dangerous..

Back to the subject... Anybody hear about the two cases down in Florida (a few years back) when these guys went to the VA for out-patient surgeries and they wound up missing limbs?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
To clarify an issue from earlier, the death benefits were at (roughly) 12,000 dollars before. The Life Insurances (SGLI or whatnot) were the ones that were in excess of 100k.

The suriving members are immediately given the death benefit money to assist in the funeral costs. The insurance pay out comes months later, and that comes in a lump sum.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Thanks for the info. Cool Hand. Is that for the Navy only, or for all five branches?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Now they have something new the government wants the tax payer to take over the 16 dollars a month that our troops has to pay for life insurance or health insurance a month.

I remember my husband used to be 9 dollars a month, or something like that or he either paid two times a month.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Now they have something new the government wants the tax payer to take over the 16 dollars a month that our troops has to pay for life insurance or health insurance a month.

I remember my husband used to be 9 dollars a month, or something like that or he either paid two times a month.

That is the first I have heard of that.

Any links or other proof?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I don't remember what I paid. All I know is when we got back from the war, they bumped it up. It was great. When I got out, I had about $200,000 worth in Life insurance.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Actually it was on CNN this week, and it was just to be propoused but I doubt the government will take over that tap.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Hey ECK, as much as I really enjoy a good "BUSH BASHING"
, I have to say that it is not just this current administration, but ALL administrations that mistreat veterans. Somehow they always forget what it is that veterans have done when the job is over. I am also concerned about veterans RETIREMENT BENEFITS. My own father is a Navy veteran of Korea and an Air Force veteran of Vietnam and veterans do not recieve the "cost of living" in their "cost of living increases". The increases are typically less than half, when they do come. I do not know what promises are currently made to enlistees, but men of my father's age were promised LIFETIME MEDICAL CARE. My father was forced to purchase supplemental health insurance because the government has not kept up it's share of the bargain. This was done during the CLINTON administration. Please do not label me a lover of DEMOCRATS, as I hate all political parties equally.

[edit on 1-18-2005 by groingrinder]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
hmmm...

supposed to be -2 here in NW Ohio tonight... I blame President Bush.

If' he'd stop the Hurricanes, Tsunamis, Trim the Budget, find everyone a job, confess about 9/11, give up those who are in the NWO,

Then he might have time to change the weather so that I wouldn't freeze my ass of tonight...

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Back to the subject... Anybody hear about the two cases down in Florida (a few years back) when these guys went to the VA for out-patient surgeries and they wound up missing limbs?

care to mention how often this happens in public hospitals ?

Not just VA Hospitals.... probably more so in regular hospitals too...

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
being a retired b52 crew chief after 23 years in the USAF ifeel i have a particularly good insight into this thread than SOME folks who have never even been on a military installation. I retired with some medical problems related to working on BUFF'S (b52s) and was given 10% disability the day i retired fromthe af .BY THE VA ! It went steadily down hill from there, my health problems got worse and the care i was receiving from the VA consisted of" HERE TAKE THESE PILLS FOR 6 MONTHS AND THEN WE WILL REEVALUATE" This lead of course to some pretty rude treatment on my own part of the VA system itself cause who else are ya gonna yell at right! Wrong!! dont yell at them it just makes it worse. I spent 13 years in the little rock arkansas VA system (I CONSIDER IT THE WORST ONE I HAVE EVER BEEN IN) got tagged with "bad boy" flag, and still wasnt getting the help i needed.

PRESCOTT ARIZONA VA SYSTEM probably saved my life and if you are reading this and given up on the VA DONT!! try to get your ass to prescott and be honest with the people trying to help you and give them a chance. i have been here 4 years and the diffference is remarkable to say the least, the first thing they did was to get MRI'S on 5!!!! joints of my body right awway and knee surgery within 5 months, not #ty service either, all first class and the people acutally seem to care for the patients THEY ARE NOT ALL BAD YOU JUST GOTTA WORK WITH THEM. I SUGGEST EVERYONE WHO IS IN NEED TO CONTACT THE DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS IF YOUR NEED IS SEVERE ENOUGH THAT YOU THINK THERE ARE NO MORE ANSWERS

As for the folks who are saying bush "gave" the disabed vets the Concurrent disability and retirement, VETS HAVE BEEN WORKING FOR THIS BENEFIT FOR 25 YEARS, IT DIDNT JUST HAPPEN OVERNIGHT.

I guess my point is Pres Bush is just the hired help when it comes to vets problems as are all the rest of them you just need to try to work within the system if you can, try to just sit and observe the next time you are in the
va hospital, there are folks who can and will help you but they have been yelled and cursed at thad things thrown at them, try being nice first.

I know some vet right now is reading this and just about ready to give up and do something really stupid cause he feels like no one cares, SOMEONE DOES BROTHER, MAKE THAT CALL

For everyone else reading this who has never walked right up to someone you know is a Vet who is haveing a hard time. Please just walk right up to them and say, "Thanks man, welcome home" if he doesnt smile and straighten up and walk a little taller i really be surprised

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I've also heard that certain VA hospitals are a lot better than others. It pays to check around, as B52 said.

I remember taking my (now deceased) Korean war vet friend to the VA hospital in Asheville, NC once. He was on death's door w/cancer and couldn't even stand. Being a former POW, they were required to see him PRONTO, but they made him wait and wait. I chewed their azz out and they jumped right onnit. That pissed me off!

My Vietnam vet friend sez the docs in the Raleigh, NC VA are pretty good.

When I got out, my understanding was that I would have lifetime benefits. No offense to those who staff the VA hospitals, but I hope I never have to use the services offered. I will always believe you get the service you pay for. Our doctor (in my unit at Ft. Campbell) was a complete and utter azzhole. If you had a problem, he always accused you of shamming out. Sprained neck? Why are you bothering me, soldier?! Go back to work! He wouldn't lift a finger unless you were puking or bleeding profusely. I hope, for the sake of other soldiers, he got out and is now making big bucks in a private practice.

The folks at our dental facility were top notch.

Regarding a comment awhile back.. it is true, it's not just Bush's fault; however, the strain put upon the system because of the actions in Iraq and Afghanistan are taking a huge toll. I can only wonder how long it will be before they start dropping vets from the rolls. We can not let that happen! Our veterans deserve our full and undying support.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Actually the Bush administration is doing a lot to help the returning vets from Afghanistan and Iraq.

Beck....errr, John, a personal letter doesn't actually do anything. It's more an impersonal letter, copied by official white house copiers, I'd imagine.

That's all fine and dandy that they've declared Iraq war vets vets, since that's what they actually are.
But if previous vets aren't receiving sufficient care, neither will new vets.

That's good they're raising the death pay off. It's the least they could do. $12K barely pays for a funeral service, so I hear.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Easy Damned.. We've got to treat JSOBECKY nicely. We don't wanna bring down the wrath of half ATS's moderators for hurting his feelings.

Back to the subject...

The way our returning vets have been warehoused - out of the public's view - and made to pay for things such as their meals and housing is disgraceful. We can and should do better.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Damned:
...Beck....errr, John....

EastCoastKid
Easy Damned.. We've got to treat JSOBECKY nicely. We don't wanna bring down the wrath of half ATS's moderators for hurting his feelings

Damned and EastCoastKid:
The line that is currently being walked is very thin, in regards to this matter (and yes, yours and my u2u's were posted within COSMIC for review by all the staff concerning this matter).

All parties involved have been given sufficient notice and warning on and of this matter, haven't they? If both of you have any, and I mean any problem with comprehending what I am saying and said through the u2u's that were sent concerning this matter, file a complaint/suggestion or contact the nearest supermod, k? Because as it stands right now, as indicated in the above quotes, the ice is about to break.

You are again warned. Thats twice. There will be no third time.

seekerof

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
No problem, Seeker. (Is it ok if I shorten your name that way?) I'll call jSOBecky by his full proper name. It was just a slip. I still can't believe that this is even a moderator issue. Completely ridiculous.
You two aren't related, are you?

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Damned]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Here's some bad news for vets.

Republicans Ax Veterans' Strongest Supporter

With the election over and Bush victorious, the Republican leadership sacks the Congressman who has been veteran’s staunchest supporter.
By Stewart Nusbaumer

In the recent presidential campaign, George Bush attacked John Kerry for not supporting our troops in Iraq. Now that the election is over, George Bush has allowed the sacking of Congress’s staunchest supporter of military veterans, Representative Chris Smith from New Jersey.

All I can say about Jsobecky is, if you try to flame fellow members b/c you don't like their views, you shouldn't be surprised, or upset to receive the same sort of response.
That's elementary.

In the future Jsobecky, maybe you should steer clear of my threads since you can't deal w/my views, or simply try using a little diplomacy. It wouldn't kill you.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

as posted by Damned
You two aren't related, are you?

No more than you and EastCoastKid being related, huh?
Heed the warning cause that was the second and the last.

seekerof

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
You gonna answer my question Seekerof? (From a previous post)

I forgot to post the link to that article:
www.interventionmag.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

as posted by EastCoastKid
Seekerof, your father - what does/did he do for a living? Has he ever been classified as being below the poverty line?

To be perfectly honest and blunt, EastCoastKid, I didn't respond for a number of reasons. The main being that it simply isn't much of your business. Sorry if that offends you, but other than the personal information that I have reluctantly revealed within ATS in the time I have been here, such as you have asked is a matter between you and my father.

Btw, I noticed that you posted that when you were in and got out that your life insurance was $200,000? Interesting.

Mine was $250,000 + the outside life insurance I obtained. Might want to check this:

Members on active duty, active duty for training or inactive duty for training and members of the Ready Reserve are automatically covered for $250,000, the maximum amount of coverage.

Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (SGLI) is the life insurance currently available to all members of the uniformed services. SGLI is a group life insurance policy purchased by VA from a commercial life insurance company.

Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (SGLI)

seekerof

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join