It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How BushCo. Supports Our War Vets

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
You hear all this lip service from cheerleader-in-chief Bush about supporting the troops. It's unreal. Anyone who actually looks into their policies concerning the treatment of war veterans can only conclude BushCo. doesn't care about our veterans at all.

Once again.. day is night and white is black and yes means no... Y'all got that Bushspeak down yet?

An about-face on support

January 11, 2005

Americans seem eager to "support our troops" these days. It says so on the bumper of every other car on the road, anyway.

But how our government treats the troops when they come home - as veterans - is no cause for bumper sticker pride.

Some older veterans wait more than a year for an appointment to see a doctor via the Byzantine bureaucracy of the Department of Veteran Affairs.

If you are not a recent returning soldier, you can spend a whole day seeking help and wind up so frustrated, so desperately unsupported, that you end up calling a local newspaper columnist. I get a call like that about twice a week.

"They're yanking us around," said one, John Welge of Lindenhurst, a 57-year-old disabled Vietnam veteran who happened to call yesterday. "There's so many cuts, everybody's doing the job of three people. I've been on the phone all day trying to get someone to help me with a simple medical form ..."
Newsday

A good friend of mine is a Vietnam vet. He's currently trying to get help from the VA here. He's having a helluva time.

*Edited Url Tag

[edit on 13-1-2005 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I agree with you ECK, while my husband father depend on the veterans hospitals all his life, my father never went to any of them he always got insurance to take care of problems.

My father always said that he did not go to vet hospitals because all they did was to kill the patients, we used to laugh about this as a joke but he knew what he was talking about.

My husband father was disable and he was not able to work since the seventies and he depended heavily on the vet hospitals.

He underwent many surgeries and at the end it just rendered him handicap.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
It's truly sad. I've always said You get what you pay for; and I hope to always be able to pay for my healthcare. On the other hand, tho; I am glad it's there, or was, in case I ever need it.

I was reading awhile back about the lack of funds to take care of all the amputees coming home. It was infuriating.
I am sick of hearing people in this administration and their red-state sycophants spouting off over supporting the troops. If they support us so much, it's past time for them to put their MONEY where their MOUTH is.

TAKE CARE OF OUR VETS! THEY TOOK CARE OF YOU!

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If you notice the Iraqi war is bringing home a very substantial amount of disable and injured soldiers, and I wonder how they have been treated after their service is over due to injuries.

I have not seen much on the news, are they just going to be send in the streets with nothing more and nothing less than a purple hart to show how the nation honors them?

All I have seen is sporadic interviews with some of the disable soldiers of Iraq.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
According to what I've heard, read and seen, they've been treated terribly. Having to buy their own meals & stuff in military hospitals, basically being warehoused and forgotten, etc.

It makes me really bad for them b/c they deserve the same heroes welcome we all got after the Gulf war. Instead, they are swept under the rug b/c armless, legless and blinde soldiers are not the image BushCo. wishes to convey. It's despicable.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
If you notice the Iraqi war is bringing home a very substantial amount of disable and injured soldiers, and I wonder how they have been treated after their service is over due to injuries.

I have not seen much on the news, are they just going to be send in the streets with nothing more and nothing less than a purple hart to show how the nation honors them?

marg

Actually the Bush administration is doing a lot to help the returning vets from Afghanistan and Iraq.

VA Reaches Out to Newest Combat Veterans

WASHINGTON (May 10, 2004) - The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is expanding its efforts to reach veterans of combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan to ensure they are aware of benefits they have earned.

Beginning today, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Anthony J. Principi is sending a personal letter to more than 150,000 veterans of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom who have recently separated from the military to thank them for their service and to remind them of their eligibility for VA health care and other benefits.

"I want these men and women to know that we are grateful for their service to our country," Principi said. "Those who served in Afghanistan, Iraq and other places around the world have risked their lives to make America more secure. One of the ways the nation shows its gratitude is by ensuring veterans receive the benefits they deserve."

www.vvaindiana.org...

And this

(CBS) When American soldiers return from Operation Iraqi Freedom, they will be considered veterans. And as veterans, thay are entitled to certain benefits and services from health care to financial assistance.

“The wounds of military conflict are not always obvious. Of course, we care for the bullet wounds and the shrapnel, but also medical conditions that may be unexplained or difficult to diagnose,” notes Secretary of Veterans Affairs Anthony Principi.

www.cbsnews.com...

Last night I listened to a RED STATE REPUBLICAN SENATOR who is sponsoring a bill to increase the death benefit from $12K to $100K.

So don't listen to those divisive people who try to say that Republicans don't care about our returning vets. That's just not true and they know it. Liberals don't have the market cornered on compassion.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Last night I listened to a RED STATE REPUBLICAN SENATOR who is sponsoring a bill to increase the death benefit from $12K to $100K.

Whussup girlfriend?
Just couldn't stay away could you?
I know it's hard, sweetheart.

By the way, the reason they are doing that is because they cannot meet their recruitment goals. You might wanna look into that.
Folks think they're gonna come home maimed and whatnot, and thrown aside, they're not even gonna consider the military.

The vets I know hate the crap they have to go through these days.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Spurring Jsobecky on, ECK?
Can't make a critical comment concerning what one has presented without provoking or making insinuations to another member?

There is a distinct difference between a critical comment concerning what one presents versus an attempt to provoke, isn't there?

As for this comment made by none other than you:

The vets I know hate the crap they have to go through these days.

Seems to me that what you say and claim amounts to hearsay and your word versus anyone else's, huh?
Amazing that my father, as I, have had no problems with VA benefits, and he is a three-tour Vietnam vet. Interesting. Some complain while other don't. Same as it has always been, till you, and others, decide to politicize it. The VA system is not perfect and has inherent problems, been happening since the end of WWII; join the crowd of those who are discontent, but politicizing it, serves no one and no purpose.

seekerof

[edit on 14-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Luckly for me, VA benifits have never been a problem. However, I have a very good friend was was in the Army in 86. His tank division was pitching tents and someone hit my friend in the head with a 5 pound maul. It was a complete accident, but still a major head injury non the less. He has had migranes that have gotten progressivly worse since then. He has been tryin to get the VA to do some test on him, such as catscans and the like, since he got out. They finally agreed to it, but scheduled it for six months from that time. Five months later, his CT scans were pushed back, and they have been pushed back every time it gets close.

I think there are good stories and bad stories that are going to come out of all of this mess. One thing I have noticed is that the bad always seems to out way the good in everything Bush and Co does. So I have no doubt that there will be more bad than good concerning VA benifits.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Some complain while other don't. Same as it has always been, till you, and others, decide to politicize it. The VA system is not perfect and has inherent problems, been happening since the end of WWII; join the crowd of those who are discontent, but politicizing it, serves no one and no purpose.

Thats it in a nutshell. I hate the VA and dont use them unless I have too, BUT, it has nothing to do with Bush. It was the same under Clinton, Bush1, Reagon, Carter, Nixon and so on. My Friend died of a Heart Attack, waiting to get in,during the Clinton Admin. does that mean Clinton was a heartless monster?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The VA in Montgomery is outstanding; I wish they were all as good as this one, but I hear it is a rarity.

The Veterans' plight is another sore topic with this administration. The only reason he signed to allow disabled vets draw disability and retirement a few months ago was because a WHOLE SLEW of them were going to vote to bounce his dumb butt out of office, so he voted for them.
And who says the man is dumb?

Meanwhile, as our vets go without the promised coverage they so rightfully deserve, we are all paying for the tens of thousands of illegals that are flooding the borders per day hospitals are going bankrupt due to this Last I heard it was around 80 that have gone under from the pressure), the Southwest is seeing a form of TB being brought in by the illegals that kills 60% of the children that catch it and we have many many cases of leprosy brought in by illegals. And Bush does what while this goes on? Fiddles? Why is this? Cheap labor for the corporations and a boost for the southern neighbor while it helps drag us done.

Things are falling into place, just as they are supposed to.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Actually the Bush administration is doing a lot to help the returning vets from Afghanistan and Iraq.

VA Reaches Out to Newest Combat Veterans
WASHINGTON (May 10, 2004) - The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is expanding its efforts to reach veterans of combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan to ensure they are aware of benefits they have earned.
Beginning today, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Anthony J. Principi is sending a personal letter to more than 150,000 veterans of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom who have recently separated from the military to thank them for their service and to remind them of their eligibility for VA health care and other benefits.
"I want these men and women to know that we are grateful for their service to our country," Principi said. "Those who served in Afghanistan, Iraq and other places around the world have risked their lives to make America more secure. One of the ways the nation shows its gratitude is by ensuring veterans receive the benefits they deserve."

Dude, I get a letter about once a year reminding me of my benefits. Actually the ink is still drying on legislation to cut veteran benefits, legislation pushed through by politicized repubs.

And this

(CBS) When American soldiers return from Operation Iraqi Freedom, they will be considered veterans. And as veterans, thay are entitled to certain benefits and services from health care to financial assistance.
“The wounds of military conflict are not always obvious. Of course, we care for the bullet wounds and the shrapnel, but also medical conditions that may be unexplained or difficult to diagnose,” notes Secretary of Veterans Affairs Anthony Principi.

Wow, they are considered veterans? Who would have thought that eh? Of course we care for the wounded, it's our job and we told them we would, just like we have been for three hundred years now. Playing this like it is some kind of new status or improvement is kinda like blowing hot air.

So don't listen to those divisive people who try to say that Republicans don't care about our returning vets. That's just not true and they know it. Liberals don't have the market cornered on compassion.

Uh a little FYI, the death benefit has been 100k for years now. That is the same benefits I signed up for in 1993. A red state republican? Provide a link to this one if you don't mind, I'll email them a copy of a 14 year old 100k death benefit with the Navy and ask him about this apparent increase in benefits.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy

Uh a little FYI, the death benefit has been 100k for years now. That is the same benefits I signed up for in 1993. A red state republican? Provide a link to this one if you don't mind, I'll email them a copy of a 14 year old 100k death benefit with the Navy and ask him about this apparent increase in benefits.

Sure, I'll see if I can find a link and post it. But I remember Joe Lieberman saying it was $12K this week, and then this other Senator (can't remember his name) saying the same thing, $12K. Maybe they were talking about reservists? Sounds like you were enlisted, maybe that's the difference. I'm in over my head at the moment but will look for the link.

OK, found the link. It's a short video link www.foxnews.com...
On the right hand side of the screen, click the Politics tab and there is a subject "Increased Benefits".

Now this is for military that are KIA in Iraq and Afghanistan, and Lieberman wants to make it retroactive to the beginning of the war. The other Senator was Sessions, btw.

You may be talking about a life insurance policy? There's also talk of improving the current max from $250K to $400K at no extra cost, in the video.

One other thing: I don't believe that he was implying the veteran status thing was anything new, he was merely using it as an introductory sentence. Both articles stress the newer aspects of the benefits available to vets; to do that, they have to describe the current benefits.

[edit on 14-1-2005 by jsobecky]

[edit on 14-1-2005 by jsobecky]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid Whussup girlfriend?
How did this contribute to the conversation here? It didn't. Let's work harder to focus more on issues and less on personality conflicts.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
We are constantly reminded who EastCoastKid voted for. Doesnt take countless cut and paste posts to figure it out.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
ECK:

Veterans know the problems, some whine, others take it one day at a time living. Look at the veterans groups watching and talking with the government every year on issues. They are up there every time congress is in session and doing something about it, enstead of bashing. These old vets have honor and strive to better the lifes of other veterans, a slow process. You can not change everything overnight, it takes time sorry to say. Do some real research, these threads you are putting out are very biest against the USA. Your service of duty is in question?

[edit on 15-1-2005 by ancientsailor]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Whussup girlfriend?

His little head was thinking for his big head!

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   

A good friend of mine is a Vietnam vet. He's currently trying to get help from the VA here. He's having a helluva time.

Tell him go to the vet center of Nam Vets.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Spurring Jsobecky on, ECK?
Can't make a critical comment concerning what one has presented without provoking or making insinuations to another member?

There is a distinct difference between a critical comment concerning what one presents versus an attempt to provoke, isn't there?

Boy, oh boy, look at all the mods coming to Jsobecky's defense!
Whose doing the whining and crying around here, anyway?
I'm honored that you all pay me so much attention.

Jsobecky's in desperate need of a sense of humour.
I'll do my best to be more sensitive to that in the future. You know what though, if you wanna dish it out, you should really be big enuff to take it when it comes back atcha.

Btw, Seekerof, your father - what does/did he do for a living? Has he ever been classified as being below the poverty line?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
This is scary I have never seen so many mods in one thread before.
and is still open?

I guess when it comes to ECK threads you either love them or hate them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join