It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your 140 IQ Is NOT Impressive

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
Also, said IQ tells nothing about the emotional intelligence (EI).

Or social intelligence.
Or sexual intelligence.
Or the kind of intelligence that allows a person to think "outside the box."
Or the kind of intelligence that allows a person to hold their minds together when they could very easily spin out of control (a kind of mental "strong force" as it were).

Intelligence is a funny thing that we really don't understand very well at all.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: Metallicus

My reply to your rant is this...I wish that my weight was my IQ
and my IQ was my weight!

Best response of the thread, lol.

I also wish this!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

I think this rant was just so you could post your own IQ

Best response of the thread, lol.

I also believe this!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
was this just a way for you to slip in your IQ ?

lol

There was a thread that this was in response to where some joker was talking about he was going to use his 140 IQ to help the rest of us poor peons. The thread got deleted and the guy was banned so you can't see the actual reason this was originally started. Also, there have been other instances of people leading with their IQ on their threads or perhaps putting them in the signature line.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
was this just a way for you to slip in your IQ ?

lol

There was a thread that this was in response to where some joker was talking about he was going to use his 140 IQ to help the rest of us poor peons. The thread got deleted and the guy was banned so you can't see the actual reason this was originally started. Also, there have been other instances of people leading with their IQ on their threads or perhaps putting them in the signature line.

Yeah, the OP stated that they had an IQ of 2,146 and scored 5700 on the SAT, etc. and they knew more than anyone here and were right all the time and were a dick. head.

Kinda like the Trump threads, IYKWIM?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I have noticed from time to time that people on ATS like to share their IQ with us as if we are going to be impressed. There are some that even have it in their signature line. I realize this isn't always shared for vanities sake, however, a 140 IQ is really NOT impressive.

I have an IQ in the mid-140s and I have encountered 100s of people smarter than me during my lifetime. In fact a 140 IQ isn't at all rare because approximately 1 in 260 people in the world have an IQ of 140 or better. That means there are literally MILLIONS of people with 140+ IQs.

Look, a 140 IQ is fine, but seriously, I consider it just enough to cause arrogance and be smart enough to be dangerous. It isn't that special without all of the things that go with it like a good memory, good study habits and the self-discipline to learn.

Anyway, IQs are also a terrible measure of success and common sense.

Okay, I just had to rant because it drives me nuts that people think a 140 IQ is all that great or rare.

As always, thank you for your time ATS.

IQ is "a measurement"..but not the most important measurement.

I remember reading many years ago that the world record holder for IQ was an overweight German, White Supremacist who worked as a bouncer at pub in Germany...No I am not kidding.

IQ is simply the processor...tear the keyboard, input devices, hard drive, memory cards etc. off your computer and see what good that processing chip does you.

Research around innovative genius tells us IQ must be "sufficient"..somewhere around 120 plus, but after that other things like cognitive disinhibition, creativity, working set memory and diverse input (different fields of interest/hobbies combined) are all more important to actually constructing novel or innovative ideas and insight. In defining Genius...after "above-average" IQ exists it becomes near irrelevant to genius. No impact once the 120 range is passed....and some geniuses span much lower.

Plus...oversized IQ can be a bitch and lead to mental illness..most often Schizophrenia as your "processor" over-reaches and makes connections that do not comport with reality. John Nash (the movie a Beautiful Mind) being one example, but certainly many others.

edit on 22-4-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

This is a good point.

Einstein was certainly very intelligent and had an IQ between 150 and 160, but that is hardly commensurate with his contributions to society or his ability to think on new and unique ideas.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Reverbs

Two heads are better than one. Honestly no matter how smart you are ATS is smarter

You have swallowed the Borg Collective lie...you have already been assimilated..."ATS is smarter" really?

Are you here to lose information or intelligence??

Lol

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

a reply to: Indigo5

This is a good point.

Einstein was certainly very intelligent and had an IQ between 150 and 160, but that is hardly commensurate with his contributions to society or his ability to think on new and unique ideas.

Einstein also sucked at math in his youth. He built his real "Genius" while working in the patent office..spending his days gleefully examining other people's new inventions and thinking about them. It was stretching his mind and practicing thinking in original ways that built his genius. That was his pivot point from "smart" to "genius"....Input of diverse ideas from different fields that he could weave back into his area of interest (Physics) in new and novel ways. IQ is just the processor.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I hold humility and kindness in higher regard than raw intelligence on its own, anyway. When both occur together, that's wonderful. But, where they do, it seems unlikely such a person would boast of their IQ anyway imo.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

-- snip --
-- snip --

Even when I got my records to enroll at our community college I honored the advice our student counselor gave me many years ago. He told me that, in his opinion, knowing my IQ would work against me in the long run and to be satisfied with being "comfortably" above average.

I'm retired/disabled now and still have never looked. My professor/employer was all I needed to convince me of the wisdom of his advice. When a man with a genius IQ "defrosts" the freezer in the office refrigerator with a hammer and a screwdriver, you are reminded of the value of a high IQ every morning as you get the Blue Ice out for your lunch bucket...
edit on 4 22 2016 by CornShucker because: spelling

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Anyones IQ is just as much as E=mc2... When you don't see what IQ means, you'll not hold very much of it! In order to gain IQ, you'll need to shine some light on it! And this is relative, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: LostThePlot

I know right. Einstein was such an incoherent failure with his measly 160+.

Only 160, pffft.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spookytraction
My dad was pretty hung up on IQ when he was a young buck. He even applied to Mensa. On the day his card arrived he flourished it proudly under my maternal grandmother's nose.

She smiled ruefully and said, "Intelligence reveals itself through action, those who are truly smart don't need a card to prove it."

He visibly deflated, and then tossed the card into the trash later that afternoon.

I said something similar to one of the young punks in my classroom once. I was throwing him out for conduct unbecoming essentially and he was up in my face reminding me how much of a bad ass he was was.

I said, "If you really were, you wouldn't have to keep reminding me how bad ass you are. Now get the hell out of my room!"

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Aptitude, that's where it is. Hi IQ doesn't mean crap if you don't know how to properly utilize it.

So High IQ + High EQ = Off the chart Aptitude, James Bond and Super Spy level crap.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I took an IQ test on the internet, it said I was a genius then directed me towards all the merchandise a genius should own!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

My lady friend took an IQ test in English and scored 169.

While that does not appear stratospheric, her native languages are Russian/Ukrainian/Polish/Estonian. She listens to and reads English but most of the time she does running translations in and out when she deals with English.

I consider her to be brilliant.

My scores varied from 114 to 156. She says, "I'm smart enough."
That pleases me.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Wonder how many of these IQ badge wearing people took an actual test or just did the internet equivalent?

It's kinda hard to find somewhere that does real intelligence quotient testing seeing as it's not really socially acceptable to acknowledge the fact people have a different mental acuity.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I will read this on sunday when i have time, but i would just like to comment.
Luckily my IQ was diagnosed at a later date, i think i was 12 or maybe older.
OK high 140's i wasn't paying attention, i thought the test a fun game, nothing else.
But because of that test, i got admitted to a special school, under the auspices of Cambridge.
We had good teachers back then, we leaned a lot.
But IQ is just a number, it does not mean that you are smart per se' if you want to learn more then you can, there is nothing holding you back.
I have met illiterate russian farmers who knew how to get a tractor running using wet twigs to power the spark plugs when the HT leads were blown or removed (that trick is now in the the SAS survival manuals by the way)

I have also met illiterates who know by logic that Hawking or Einstein were just plain wrong, using just the same farmer's logic.
Smart is not always coming up with the textbook answers, smart is implementing them at the right time.
I passed the MENSTRUA test in 40 minutes but then they wanted an annual fee that severely affected my beer intake, so i said 'NO'....

Hell anyone between 150-200 IQ literally (and clinically) can be classed as insane, and believe me i have met such peeps! OK so i'm just short of that, lucky me i'm just a dumb country boy, i survived the great brain drain LOL
Count yourself lucky, anyone above 112 are the peeps that seem to make it.

Don't make it an issue in your life, do what you are good at!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Mensa spand All there time leaning to do the same type of tests.
over and over againe. and then feel good that they are good at it!
if you train to do any thing you get good at it. monkeys too.

its the same as what they did in the past in schooles.
they made them remember the times tables.
it did Not teach them mathes. just how to remember the answers.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join