It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your 140 IQ Is NOT Impressive

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

My cousin is a literal rocket scientist. His IQ is 168, and he feels like IQ doesn't matter. "IQ tests don't mean very much. There's really no way to accurately measure one's intelligence."

So... All you 140ers, take it from a 168er, and be modest.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Lysergic

heh, its fun to stir the pot.

I actually think most of the posters on ATS are smarter than me. I just figure if mine can be 140 something then the rest of you guys and gals must be the 1% in IQ terms. I just try to tread water with you all.

I belive that over 140 you are in the top 5% at least, well they told me at school every time i broke the rules anyway.
It was like; "Why did you climb that 100 ft pine tree & throw toilet rolls all over the school building?" "you could have fallen, you could have died"
And my answer was, "because i wanted to see if it could be done!"
Yes i have met a lot of smart peeps here in the past, some taught me to observe & interpret the universe, some of whom are no longer alive.Some want to read my obituary, LMAO
Some work for the government, some are here to read a fun story, some are shameless trolls trying to make 5 minutes of fame for themselves.
You decide, use your instinct, padawan.......

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The only thing an IQ test will tell you is how many ways you look at solving problems. There are so many things that can affect an IQ test score its not even funny. I have tested everywhere from 140 to 188. I consider the high and low not representative of the norm and gladly accept an average of the rest, which puts me in the 160+/- range. Its nice, but I know people who score much lower on standardized tests whom I would trust with my life. And I know people who score higher I wouldn't trust with a bucket of water, a sponge, and the instructions, "wash my car".

I met a girl years ago who had an interesting test for guys she met in bars. She would light a match and very slowly move it toward their face. If they leaned back, or put their hands up in front of them she put the match out and walked away. If they just blew it out when it was close enough she would talk to them. That is about the only real life use for any kind of IQ test I know of...

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

That is darn sexy.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
As near as I can tell high IQ scores depend on problem solving that makes use of memory in the sense of the ability of the brain to hold and manipulate comparatively large numbers of variables at one time. A crude analogy would be juggling with increasing numbers of objects according to one's "juggling IQ".

That's it in a nutshell. In and of itself it has almost nothing to do with life as we live it day to day. It has nothing to do with morality and little to do with wisdom.

I'm not diminishing the importance of IQ. If you simply need a good mental juggler, and they are in demand, then IQ is an important qualifier.

My impression is that groups like MENSA are full of excellent mental jugglers who, very often, have done almost nothing worthwhile with their mental juggling ability.

The sciences and industry, of course, employ numerous people with high IQs, on real world or difficult abstract theoretical problems.

There are people who are very disturbed by their own low IQ scores, to the point of fixation on the issue. I know somebody, like that, with a low self esteem problem, who has been a wonderful mentor to a young man who went to an ivy league university in the US on a sports scholarship and now has a good job in the financial services industry because of this very humble, beautiful person. It is tragic that mental juggling ability is made so much of in life. Yes, it's great like any other human skill, but we need all the human skills, not just juggling.
edit on 22-4-2016 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
If the people of flint are worried lead will lower IQ I believe them, I would not trivialize what has happened to them. They deserve better.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

well 140 iq is impressive for certain IQ tests. unfortunately there is more then one type of test with scores that vary greatly. so 140 on one test me be equivalent to 180 on another type of test. in the end the tests only measure a few aspects of what makes up each and every one of us and should never be used to define yourself.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I may not be all that smart but I was smart enough to quit a job I hated to start a small business on my own despite my hearing disability.

I think common sense and the ability to think quickly on your feet are huge assets in life.
edit on 22-4-2016 by texasgirl because: Goofed, of course

edit on 22-4-2016 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-4-2016 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

There's many Types of IQ, intellect IQ is only one of many. Anyways, IQ is like a knife. A good chef can do more with a dull knife than most people with a sharp knife. It's how you apply the IQ into what area of your life too. Hard to say.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
I may not be all that smart but I was smart enough to quit a job I hated to start a small business on my own despite my hearing disability.

I think common sense and the ability to think quickly on your feet are huge assets in life.

Star & Kudos!

I come from a farm background. My paternal grandmother was ahead of her time and chose to concentrate on things other than a husband or children. Hence our dad was raised by my great-grandparents on the family farm and grew up hearing that all the years of hard labor, dirt, sweat and cold were resulting in a 50% equity in the farm that would become 100% upon my great-grandfather's passing.

More than likely the majority of those reading this have already jumped ahead and surmised that those promises wound up being worth exactly the value of the paper they were never printed on...

As a result, Dad found himself needing to finance the purchase of what had always been presented as half his & saw the most valuable of the acreage deliberately priced (and purchased) at a level my paternal grandmother and her siblings knew he could never afford.

This was all just mentioned as a way to give context as to why someone born and raised a farmer would be working at ALCOA for 40+ years.

Now to my Real point...

A classmate of mine and his younger brother were the beneficiaries of some sort of setup that, with help from the company of their deceased father as well as insurance and Social Security, put them in the enviable position of having the funds to continue on in the academic world as long as they produced the grades.

My old classmate was a good guy and I was happy to see him become a successful businessman. His brother, though, put on airs long before he had reason to look down his nose at anyone.

The story your post reminded me of was one Dad told of an evening when he'd stopped in at a bar not far from Lincoln City here in Southern Indiana and "N" was showing off the blonde babe he'd brought home for his visit and bragging of his scholastic adventures to all the "little" people who'd graduated high school and then went to work in the actual, real world.

When Dad had heard enough about both of "N's" Masters degrees and his doctorate in philosophy (he was 40+ and still in school), he inserted himself into the conversation when he saw an opening. He asked "N", "Would you like me to get you an application tonight?" Of course "N" expressed confusion. Dad said, "Well, I couldn't help over-hearing the conversation and I noticed yesterday that ALCOA has a note up on the board that they are looking to hire four philosophers..." It got the tavern-wide snicker he'd hoped for.

My point?

I have a pretty simple rule of thumb. If I have a plumbing, residential electric, automotive or tree/landscaping problem and somebody can fix it fast, on the first try and at a reasonable price they are a genius!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Intelligence is only one facet of a person as a whole. I have met my share of smart people who were very smart on some level but total failures as human beings. To me, someone is truly intelligent if they are able to utilize it to be a higher order of person, in kindness, compassion, and seeing things comprehensively. Intelligence is just one part of the picture.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Did you just hide a boast about your own IQ, within a complaint about others boasting about theirs? Lol.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
In taking the IQ test a couple times, I found that if you have sharp logical mind you can get to 140 easy.
There are many people in this world that have sharp logical minds, I have also worked with those that don't think like that either.

But the OP is right when people brag "you can't out smart me my IQ is 140 plus" inside I am just rolling my eyes, because on any given day any one us of can encounter brain fog, and our IQ isn't that high that day.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Well I just typed a 3 paragraph reply and my drunken ass dropped the mouse and lost it. The smartest people are the ones I tend to disagree with the most so I'll leave it at that.

Ok I'm going into a sneezing fit. Damn allergies!

IQ of 137 as tested by Queens University of Kingston.

I'm still an Idiot.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
lol! I feel like this was especially for me and I hate it.

But to be honest, I've never met someone with a 140+ IQ (outside of all of you fabulous ATS folk) and I've never boasted about my own IQ, I don't know what my IQ even is. But I admit I just wrote a blog entry which somewhat touches on this subject/attitude, hence why I feel particularly spotlighted, lol.

I've only just suspected that some people I interact with are probably geniuses and I always like them normally. I'd have liked to meet Einstein or Hawking or Tesla... I am kinda curious about really smart people, I wanna know what it's like for them. I wanna be around them and feel it and get to know it, lol. I'm a weirdo.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Ok for real tho, I really do not know my I.Q score, but I skipped a grade upward in H/S and ran rings around my fellow classmates, however that may have to do with my primary education in Jamaica and no nonsense do your homework plus extra stuff my parents insisted on than anything else , I am sucky around power tools, gardening and shop, but a quick problem solver not bad at anticipating things and work better than average under pressure ,how would any of the above add up in an I.Q score??..don't know.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
There are more important facets to intelligence and abilities then just IQ. My father is a super genius pushing 90. He puts Hawking to shame. I grew up thinking I was a dummy because I wasnt good in school. Both my sisters have masters and were 4.0 all the way through school. I didnt find out my IQ until 10 years or more after my company had me tested. They refused to tell me. I evidently have a learning disability that made me feel dumb. I wasnt. My best friend in highschool was a 160 and bragged about it. He spoke latin, played and composed classical piano, but wasnt happy inside. I tried to help, I tried my best, but he put a rifle muzzle in his mouth and blew his brains out.
TheIQ from dads side was great, but mom had farm girl abilities and qualities that I got as well from her family. I can work with my hands, on engines, and mechanical stuff. It balances out things. Even my Dad is impressed with certain things I do, and that is important to me. Far more then the number I was assigned

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

lol nice

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Uhhh, Ah already told y'all, mah Ah-que is eleventy-nine, YO YO YO! Ah-ieght?

See, yo yo, checkit out fools, an' ain't no udder fools be talkin' the smack ah talk, ah-ieght?

Ain't no street foo' got da creds ah gots! Doods be tellin' me I's shood be a Dee Jay n' all, cuz my rap be tight y'all...TIGHT!

Ah-ieght, Ah-ieght, y'all, I gots to be jettin' dis krib, see? My crew be waitin' on me y'all! Sheet, ah's got some serious crunk in da howwwwse an deez girls be fiiiine, bro!

Yo...Ah out!!

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
All having a higher IQ did for me is to make it easy to learn new stuff and fix things without needing to hire someone to do it. I learned most of what I used all my life from people who had medium IQs and they were very good at what field they were in. The only advantage to higher IQ is that you can master more professions without needing to let go of old knowledge to learn new stuff.

I always felt it was the responsibility of the intelligent to take care of those who were not so intelligent. To help steer them along through life. It's attitude that is important, not really IQ. Someone with an IQ of a hundred can make an excellent mechanic or machinist. Some of the best tradesmen I knew probably had IQs around a hundred. There are many very intelligent people out there with little farms around here, they work regular jobs and also keep learning everything they can about growing foods.

You cannot judge intelligence by the job someone holds. Think about this, why would someone with a really high IQ get themselves locked into one profession? Stuck in a job where you can't learn to do everything.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join