It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Using Small Doses of Martial Law

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

The law doesn’t change just because you, or you and a few others, or even you and 90% of the population want it to. Of course me owning a nuke would be ridiculous, but until the governments of the world no longer have any, the 2nd gives me a right to have one too.

I am about as pro-gun as anyone and even I think no person should own a WMD. I agree with you about most of those weapons but even if you were allowed to buy them I doubt most could afford them. The Javelin missile anti-tank missile costs about $75,000. So in the unlikely event that a tank came to destroy your house unless you were really rich a legal anti-tank missile would do you no good.

So you want these things to be legal so only the rich can have them? There would be no bargin bin missiles.tanks or planes.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Posted by cavscout
Snip...
Hey smart guy...
You ring?

Posted by cavscout
Snip...
He didn't say pot was good for you.
You noticed that too??? Wow, you'd make a good detective. So perceptive of you.

Posted by cavscout
Snip...
He said cheeseburgers are worse, and this is true. Poor diet continues to kill more people every year then drugs.
You are comparing apples to oranges and you are leaving out too many variables. When you refer to "drugs," are you including caffeine and aspirn? Or are you referring exclusively to prescription narcotics? Or maybe you're referring only to illicit drugs, such as coc aine, '___', et al, eh? So, getting back to your statement... you believe that cheeseburgers kill??? Or, more aptly, you believe that cheeseburgers kill more people than drugs? LOL

Posted by cavscout
Snip...
Go look up the numbers, genius.
Conversely, I ask you: please show me some empirical studies that conclude with a significant statistical difference that "cheeseburgers kill more people than drugs."

If an empirical study were conducted, it is highly unlikely that you could prove that a poor diet kills more people than illicit drugs (on a comparative per capita basis). My anecdotal experience alone corroborates that illicit drugs kills more people than poor diet. I have seen many dead young people who overdosed on illicit drugs, but I have never seen dead young people who overdosed on cheeseburgers or a poor diet.

A poor diet tends to cause older people to die sooner, but at least they reached old age. Conversely, drug overdoses are often associated with the death of the young and, thus, they are deprived of reaching old age, due to illicit drug overdoses. Indirect deaths are also associated with illicit drug usage i.e. murders, suicides, auto crashes, etc.

Let's take 100,000 high school students who eat cheeseburgers and compare them with 100,000 high school students who use illicit drugs. Who do you think will be more llikely to reach old age?

Genius. .

Posted by cavscout
Snip...
You’re a comedian and you are trying your skills out on ATS. Am I right?
I think that you've got me beat with your statement that "cheeseburger kill."

Posted by cavscout
Snip...
You may feel that the constitution should allow for the banning of drugs, just like shadow feels that it should allow for the restriction of guns. Sorry guys, you can’t change a law by wishing it so and pretending it so.
The laws are already in place and arrests are actively being made for violations of these laws.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Shadow, this isn’t supposed to be about the merits of allowing everyone to own any weapon they want. I agree with you that people shouldn’t have WMDs, but that doesn’t change the constitution, does it?

See, the minute you say that any gun law, whether it is about nukes or rimfires, is unconstitutional, then you must also agree that any police officer that enforces that law is violating the 2nd amendment. They took an oath to protect the constitution, and they took it voluntarily. If, when confronted with an unconstitutional law, they lay down their badge and walk away, they are still going back on their promise. They didn’t promise not to break the constitution, they promised to protect it. Until the day they begin to arrest every person who knowingly conspires to pass an unconstitutional law, they are breaking a promise they made to the people they are bound to serve. That makes them liars and backstabbers. Every day they put on those uniforms to go out and enforce those laws, they are committing a very un-American act, a treasonous act.

You know what though? I took the same oath in the military, and I so far have not gone out and tried to arrest congressmen and police officers for being enemies to the constitution, so I guess that makes me a liar and a backstabber too. But, that still doesn’t change what they are.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Yxboom
I understand that you got your feelings hurt by this topic, but that doesn’t change the fact that you not contributing. It is amazing that most seem to be ignoring your posts except to be hinting to you that you are annoying, and you just can't take the hint.

I’ve never been good at hinting or being nice, so I will tell you outright. I am sorry you got your feelings hurt, now why don’t you bugger off and find a nice aol chat room to annoy, please.

Disclaimer:cavscout understands that he has no right to tell people bugger off on this board, and was only expressing the personal feelings of cavscout himself.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
cavscout,

My feelings aren't hurt. Thank you for your concern.

I simply rebutted your statement that cheeseburgers kill more people than illicit drugs. We can agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with that.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Abortion is the leading cause of death in America, at 1 and ½ million per year

Heart disease takes number two, at ¾ of a million. Heart disease is caused mainly by POOR DIET, lack of exercise, and smoking, according to the Office of the Surgeon General.(although smoking is listed separately on the list, and therefore any smoking-related heart disease is listed under smoking)

Our diet is the main contributing factor to the second leading cause of death. Cheeseburgers do kill, Brains.

Illegal Drugs are not on the top 20 list.

I think everyone else got that except you. You are just being difficult on purpose (see: Troll)

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I am going to step out of the debate now to be a Mod and remind everyone this has been a civil debate so far and lets keep it that way

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
Abortion is the leading cause of death in America, at 1 and ½ million per year

Heart disease takes number two, at ¾ of a million. Heart disease is caused mainly by POOR DIET, lack of exercise, and smoking, according to the Office of the Surgeon General.(although smoking is listed separately on the list, and therefore any smoking-related heart disease is listed under smoking)

Our diet is the main contributing factor to the second leading cause of death. Cheeseburgers do kill, Brains.

Illegal Drugs are not on the top 20 list.

I think everyone else got that except you. You are just being difficult on purpose (see: Troll)

Those are aggregate numbers that you're quoting. They do not necessarily indicate which lifestyle is the most dangerious.

Earlier, I simply tried to explain the math to you, but you didn't grasp it. This stuff is covered in statistics classes, usually at the collegiate level. Someday, if you ever take statistics in college, then you will understand, if you pass the class. Unfortunately, it is one of the harder classes. I struggled through it at the undergraduate level... and then later at the graduate level.

If I were a troll, as you suggest, then I would not take the time to try and explain the statistical difference to you, but I will. Why? Because I'm a nice guy.

Here goes...

If you have a population of 1 million citizens who eat a poor diet and if you compare it to a population of 100 drug users, then which population will have more deaths? Obviously, the population of 1 million citizens will have the greater number of deaths, due to the sheer size of the sample.

But it's not really fair to compare 1 million to 100, won't you agree?. Thus, if you do a per capita study, then you get more realistic statistical results that indicates which lifestyle is more dangerious (over-eating vs. illicit drug use).

Please follow along with me for a moment...

If you compare a population of 100 over-eating citizens to a population of 100 illicit drug users, then which group is most likely going to have a higher premature death rate? Our personal experience would indicate that the illicit drug users would be more likely to have a premature death rate.

Do you see the statistical differences????

Most people over-eat, but most people do not use illicit drugs. If the two groups are going to be compared to each other, then the sample sizes must be similar. And when sample sizes are similar, then the results indicate that illicit drug users have a higher incidence of premature death than those who eat a poor diet.

No hard feelings.

[edit on 16-1-2005 by Yxboom]

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I find it very hard to believe a cop would arrest someone simply for walking a dog, two times no less. That one statement alone set up a big red flag for me. Sounds like the original poster is stating things that are not true. I also note that in another post he mentioned marijuana possession. That is against the law in most places so the cop has every right to make and arrest. Sounds like he has it in for the cops and wants others to join on his band wagon without knowing all the facts if you ask me.

I'm glad i started this post.i laugh at the above for he is trying to call me a liar.i'm going to kill 2 birds with 1 stone here(shot and yxboom).have you not read the other posts here in this thread?about 98% of the people in this thread have something negative to say about LE.have you not read the similar stories here?.yxboom i noticed how you tried to pick apart my post and made claims that you didnt understand a lot of it.thats real funny because how did everyone else understand me without any problems.are we all lying?is this some big conspiracy against the cops?....dude get your head outta your a$$ and pay attention you just might learn something.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Posted by Drew Da General
Snip...
I noticed how you tried to pick apart my post .

Tried?

Unequovically, it was picked apart!!! That bird was so cooked that the meat was falling off the bone!!!

You said that your brother was arrested for walking his dogs??? Me thinks there is more to the story than what you are telling.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
i never said arrested i said ticketed.seems like you might have "skimmed" over that part.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Okay, so he was given two tickets. Was the officer wrong for writing the tickets? What would have been the most appropriate course of action for the officer????

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
hmmm maybe go arrest a criminal...wow someone walking a dog is so suspicious.they might be carrying a nuke in their pocket.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Drew Da General, it would appear that your thread here has gotten so off topic that it cant be steered back in the right direction, sorry about that. Too bad, I really enjoyed this thread until it got off topic. What is it about now, anyway? Drug control or gun control? I lost track.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
i lost track as well.but this thread is good cuz it makes you think if cops are the lowest level of authority think how bad it gets higher up the ladder.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drew Da General
hmmm maybe go arrest a criminal...wow someone walking a dog is so suspicious.they might be carrying a nuke in their pocket.

Okay, I see your point. So you're saying that the officer should only make arrests for criminal violations -- and he should not bother with civil violations, such as whatever law your brother was violating. Am I understanding you correctly???

What about other civil violations, such as running red lights, tail gating, and speeding??? Should those also be ignored??? Which violations should our officers be paid to enforce?

< deep in thought >

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
the yahoo garbage pool player is right he said ticket not arrest. anyway i too have been a victim of police harassement. as i was carrying my grocerys the cops told me they wanted to ask me something,so i said whats up then they gived me a atomic wedgy out of nowhere and slaped me and told me to go home. i ran with my hands in the air and people walking past me said this aint no 7th heaven. i hate those bacon a$$holes for doing that. and ehhhhhhhh

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
yxboom tell me what threat walking your dog presents?i am so curious.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drew Da General
i lost track as well.but this thread is good cuz it makes you think if cops are the lowest level of authority think how bad it gets higher up the ladder.

You keep making these thought provoking statements!!!

Okay, for the sake of argument, let's agree with you that cops are the lowest level of authority and that it gets worse as you move up the chain. Here are some questions for you:
  • Do you think you could do a better job than those cops that you're complaining about??? And, if you were a cop, what would you do differently???

• If you were Chief Drew Da General, what would you have your officers do for their eight hours of employment??
Please enlighten us. Inquiring minds want to know!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
im done with you i leave you with these 2 words that best describe you....anal retentive.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join