It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cocktails

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

It really depends on your tastes. I keep all that on hand as it allows me to make just about every well known cocktail created (within reason). For someone who is looking to expand their palette they can get a way with fewer items, particularly where I have multiples of the same spirits or liqueurs.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah. I did notice that some of the items are the same, but just different brands.

I can use your list as a base for me to work on

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Compliments to you on a very fine, well-stocked inventory

At first glance, someone may be a little disheartened at the quantity, but one can start off basic and add when ready. The idea is to enjoy the pleasure of making a cocktail. I think of it like any hobby, and people put money into any hobby they like.
....desert falls off bar stool after looking at price of St. Germain.... gets up and tells MrD, "Honey, my birthday is coming up, and I have an idea for a gift."

continuing on.....

I am thinking for the Tin Foil Hat..... yes, the Veniq Liqueur with a bit of La Clandestine Absinthe, or Emperor Norton Absinthe depending

I have one more ingredient to go out locally and try to find for the Dead Whale On The Bow (which might be easier than going into the stored box in the garage looking for the cruise ship picks!). Work in progress.

Also, and I am very serious about this one, as I hated for it to have happened, I am working on a drink in honor of Harambe. The Harambe : place ice cubes in an old-fashioned glass, add Nolet's Silver Gin, add Hibiscus liqueur. BFF will pick up the Nolet's for me in a couple weeks when she is out of town. The Hibiscus Liqueur is out of stock, but I ordered online some Hibiscus syrup. Again, work in progress.

to all

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert
Compliments to you on a very fine, well-stocked inventory

At first glance, someone may be a little disheartened at the quantity, but one can start off basic and add when ready. The idea is to enjoy the pleasure of making a cocktail. I think of it like any hobby, and people put money into any hobby they like.

You can start with the critical ones first. There are many on there that can do multiple duty in many cocktails.

The Hibiscus Liqueur is out of stock, but I ordered online some Hibiscus syrup. Again, work in progress.

I keep hibiscus flowers in syrup for a fancy champagne/prosecco cocktail.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

Is St Germain expensive there? It's only about. £20 here. That's about the same price for a cheap single malt.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Sounds about right, $34.99 by me.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

What would you call "critical ones"?

I was think of a base of...

Vodka
Gin
Whiskey
Jim beam (rye I believe)
White rum
Navy/dark rum
Cherry liqueur
Brandy
Cointreau
Port
Ruby Sherry
Baileys (or similar)
Pernod
White wine
Red wine
Lager
Ale

Then my additions for mixing would be...

Coke
Lemonade
Tomato juice
Tonic water (with quinine)

Anything else you think I should add?

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Sounds about right, $34.99 by me.

I guess you'll have more shipping charges than me, that'd certainly account for the small increase in price.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

$33.99 here. I think this one might come in a smaller size.

Yes, I forgot to add that as a garnish. I keep a jar in the fridge. I thought about using the syrup in the jar, but I ended up ordering a bottle just of the syrup. I'll probably experiment with both.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I would add vermouth, Campari or Aperol, St. Germain (it is incredibly useful) and seltzer on the non-alcoholic side.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I would add vermouth, Campari or Aperol, St. Germain (it is incredibly useful) and seltzer on the non-alcoholic side.

Vermouth and Campari are easy enough. St Germain is a bit more difficult, but I might be able to find an alternative. Soda water is super easy. I've got a machine

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I thought about using the syrup in the jar, but I ended up ordering a bottle just of the syrup.

I use the syrup in the jar in additional to the blossoms, it stretches well since it is so intense.

edit on 5-6-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
St Germain is a bit more difficult, but I might be able to find an alternative.

An elderflower liqueur would be close but not exactly the same.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
St Germain is a bit more difficult, but I might be able to find an alternative.

An elderflower liqueur would be close but not exactly the same.

Oh oh oh. I found it!

£18 for 50cl. And it's local.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Augie, I need your help. I have a friend over who wants a "Last Word".
She wants it with Vodka not Gin. Will this work?
3⁄4 oz. gin xxxx Vodka instead!
3⁄4 oz. green Chartreuse
3⁄4 oz. Luxardo
3⁄4 oz. fresh lime juice
Twist of lime for garnish

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Maybe, but you should smack her in the face for asking for it that way.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Yes no kidding!!!
LOL
edit on 6 5 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I remember an old Carlin routine about "cocktails". He said that together they were fine but if you divided it up they are going to take away your sign.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I was wondering about that. Good. I'm going to experiment. Yay! ....I decided after my college chemistry class, where I hated spills, that I wasn't going to major in that subject. Bar spills are harmless (I love my bar mops, lint free, and special occasion towels), plus I can lick up any tasty spill whether on (my) glass, bar, or me.

Oh, Augie, was that a copper straw I saw in the Berried Alive? I have never seen such a thing.

continuing on.......

So, another WIP, as I won't have the liquor until maybe next week, is a drink we'll be sipping as we watch the Summer Olympics. I'll be making a "Brazil 2016" I thought up.

In a collins glass, place ice, white cachaca, top off with ginger rootbeer. Stir with a piece of floating wood, a long bamboo skewer broken in half. Garnish with "trash", bits of cut up lemon, or lime, or mango; shredded jicama. Serve with a paper napkin on which is stamped a mosquito.

I discovered cachaca recently. It's a (Brazilian) rum made with sugar cane juice, rather than the Caribbean rum that is made with molasses. It has been on my list of items to be picked up out of town, probably next week. White cachaca is for mixing, golden for sipping. I'll try a shot of the white I'm getting and maybe get the golden later. hmmmmm..... OTOH.... it is Summer..... maybe I will need the sipping one, too....

Since I have limited room for all the liquor I want, I came up with a system that works for me. I divided my drinks into cool weather and warm weather. My Fall-Winter liqueurs I keep downstairs after the seasons and bring up the liqueurs I would be more likely to use Spring-Summer. Of course, I can always run downstairs to get what I want, but it sure has kept my bar area uncluttered. Nothing like tripping over a bottle on the floor or no longer being able to close a cabinet door to put ideas into one's head!

You know, if I ever offer up a drink I have in mind to make, I do welcome all input. I don't know what I'm doing often, I just do it. Thanks!!

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

...plus I can lick up any tasty spill whether on (my) glass, bar, or me.

The notorious Screaming Buffalo. Where you dump the contents of the counter top drink mixing mat into shot classes at the end of the night.

Oh, Augie, was that a copper straw I saw in the Berried Alive? I have never seen such a thing.

Stainless steel.

I discovered cachaca recently. It's a (Brazilian) rum made with sugar cane juice, rather than the Caribbean rum that is made with molasses.

Yup. I have a bottle. Everyone gets a booze crush on it at one point or another. Next for you to try is Batavia Arrack which is the ancestor to rum.

Since I have limited room for all the liquor I want, I came up with a system that works for me. I divided my drinks into cool weather and warm weather. My Fall-Winter liqueurs I keep downstairs after the seasons and bring up the liqueurs I would be more likely to use Spring-Summer. Of course, I can always run downstairs to get what I want, but it sure has kept my bar area uncluttered. Nothing like tripping over a bottle on the floor or no longer being able to close a cabinet door to put ideas into one's head!

I have even more stuff in my wine cellar so I cannot fit anymore down there except on the floor. I even gave some bottles away that I was never going to use (Goldschlagger and other crap like that). I need to get my barback done so I can take them off the floor behind the bar.

You know, if I ever offer up a drink I have in mind to make, I do welcome all input. I don't know what I'm doing often, I just do it. Thanks!!

So far your have been pretty creative. Where I can help I think I have offered some suggestions.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join