It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cocktails

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I think my BFF once had a Screaming Buffalo at a lounge show in Las Vegas, the way she described it. I must tell her about it!

I like the idea of those straws. Unfortunately for me, I probably will never purchase them. They would only prompt horrible flashbacks to when my sons were little boys, and they gleefully would come running up to me with straws stuck in various cranial orifices. It's a wonder neither ended up having a glass eye or having to wear an eyepatch. And they found all this hilarious! No one better tell me that there's no difference between raising girls and boys!! I grew up with all girls (and we were always allowed pretty much free rein and range of activities), but all but two of my parents' grandkids were boys; we girls had our own things we did (and did to each other), but at no time did my siblings and I ever engage in many of the antics my sons did.

Batavia Arrack.... synchronicity raises its cosmic head again. We just ordered a steel tongue drum to get ready for our Summer Of Love party next summer. (I refuse to pay the price for a hang drum, especially when I could have had one for a lot less when I first heard one!) It's sound reminded me in a way of a Balinese bell gong. So, when I found out the Southeast Asia Batavia Arrack, I think that will be perfect for cocktails at all our tongue drum practices in the coming year. I cannot walk in and buy one, but I can order one online. .... well, considering that only one of us in the planned SOL group has any musical talent (it ain't me), I may have to order a couple bottles.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert
Batavia Arrack.... synchronicity raises its cosmic head again.

Yeah, this is serious cocktail-makers stuff.

I posted a recipe earlier in the thread called the After Dinner Drink from the pre-Prohibition Era which uses this. It really has a very unique flavor.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Quick question about Batavia arrack.

Is it a glass filler like an alcoholic soda water, type of thing?

(This is a question formed from ignorance as I have never heard of it outside of this thread)
edit on 662016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

It was the main ingredient in punches from the late 1700's to early 1800's. You do not want to drink it straight, it needs to get mixed into cocktails in small amounts since it is so funky. Although people do add it to tea as it compliments the flavor.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Ah ok. Thanks for the info. I'll probably buy a small bottle just to try it.

What does it add to the drink when it's added flavour wise?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I had one guest tell me it tasted like Coco Puffs, which, being that it is made with red rice, makes some sense.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I had one guest tell me it tasted like Coco Puffs, which, being that it is made with red rice, makes some sense.

Coco puffs?! If that's the case the misses will love it lol

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Make her the After Dinner Drink I posted earlier. No one has ever told me that they do not like that one.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Make her the After Dinner Drink I posted earlier. No one has ever told me that they do not like that one.

Oh I will. I want to try that one myself lol

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
Oh I will. I want to try that one myself lol

Just make sure it is Batavia Arrak and not Arak which tastes like anise.

Another interesting one for the cocktail connoisseur (and that I forgot to add to my list) is Velvet Falernum. It has notes of almond, clove, ginger, lime, vanilla and allspice.

One of the best ingredients if you are going to make a real swizzle-style cocktail. Make sure you buy a real swizzle stick too.

edit on 6-6-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

That sounds tasty.

I've got a few things on my list on eBay. I'll have to check if I added swizzle stick lol.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Make sure it is the actual wood stick from the Caribbean if you are going to get one. They are usually around $15-25 dollars.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

So not a stainless steel one?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Nope. From an actual Swizzlestick Tree, Quararibea turbinata.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Before I leave to do some serious reading, here's another synchronicity, rearing its ugly head this time. First thing this morning my husband goes online and finds the following. He didn't know I'ld be posting here today. "Hey, Honey, look at this!" I did. He should have warned me. With that, I put up this warning and disclaimer:

In no way should anyone at this thread view the following link, unless you love cocktails AND are a sadomasochist. desert in no way endorses this link and will provide two links following, to wash out any memory of this link. Also, if you do decide to view this link, bear in mind that someone at the NSA will be laughing at you. I only offer this link as a warning to not view every cocktail link that a loved one asks you to look at. You are warned!

Try These Tasty Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Cocktails

I think that MrD was still groggy from sleep and thought this was real. He emailed it to me. I looked. I gagged.

Ok, now for the real cheese cocktails

How to Add Cheese to Your Cocktails

The 15 Best Cocktails for Cheese Lovers

Years ago I bought some Cheddar Cheese Ice Cream at a local market. It came from the Philippines; I was game to try it, plus it came in a lovely metal tin that I still have on my kitchen counter to this day. Was it good? It was creamy and cheesy. I liked it, but, then again, according to my mother, I was the only child in the family who liked to eat anything she fed me. A mother's dream. With that warning, I would say, Try it for yourself.

But I do think that I could use the real cocktails above on our "cheese and crackers" days.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Here's Jim Meehan of PDT in New York (one of the best cocktail bars) shows how to swizzle:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Nope. From an actual Swizzlestick Tree, Quararibea turbinata.

I had to google that just to be sure you weren't yanking my chain.

I had never heard of them before and they just look like swizzle sticks planted in the ground lol.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I never thought that I would watch a video explaining how to swizzle lol.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I had to google that just to be sure you weren't yanking my chain.

That's what I do. I drink and I know things.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I never thought that I would watch a video explaining how to swizzle lol.

I have a feeling you have watched much more, ahem, interesting videos in your internet travels.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join