It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cocktails

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Missmissie173

Here you go:

A thing of beauty and sophistication - I can see Nick and Nora sliding up to it in their evening wear. Nick: "Three sidecars my good man. Oh, and something for Mrs. Charles & Aster too."

Thanks for the pic.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

I love that you know the reason why it is a Nick and Nora glass.

Open invite for you at Casa Augie.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

Glad you like it. Terry needs a South of the Border infusion.

I felt the same way when I was in Mexico and saw it on the menu. I thought, 'What a disgusting drink'. But they are pretty damn good on a hot day.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
I see you have been busy with the skull!

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
I see you have been busy with the skull!

Oh, no, I thought I was the only person who owns the crystal skull!! At least, that's what I thought I heard the stocker at the store say when I discovered it on the liquor shelf. ... Come to think of it, maybe he said I had found the last bottle on the shelf and not the only bottle on the shelf. Man, and here I kept my crystal skull hidden away, not wanting anyone to break in and steal it.
.... I should have known it wasn't one of those crystal skulls they talk about on those alien shows! I didn't find it buried in the ground or buy it from some mysterious seller.... plus, I don't remember anyone on those programs talking about the delicious liquid found inside....

Monsieur Augie, what is your studied opinion of the liquid found inside the skull?

I also wanted to add something to this post re bar glass preference. My BFF loves frosted glass, but I have come to prefer clear. There are some very lovely frosted and tinted glasses out there, but I found that I prefer to see clearly what is inside. Yesterday we were over for a visit, where the hostess made gin and tonics. The clear, cube icecubes looked beautiful as the glass was filled, especially after she added the light blue, lavender gin. I think that frosted (or tinted) glasses would be like putting a sheet of frosted/colored plastic over an art masterpiece to protect it. But, that's just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: desert
Monsieur Augie, what is your studied opinion of the liquid found inside the skull?

Just as boring as every other vodka.

I also wanted to add something to this post re bar glass preference. My BFF loves frosted glass, but I have come to prefer clear. There are some very lovely frosted and tinted glasses out there, but I found that I prefer to see clearly what is inside. Yesterday we were over for a visit, where the hostess made gin and tonics. The clear, cube icecubes looked beautiful as the glass was filled, especially after she added the light blue, lavender gin. I think that frosted (or tinted) glasses would be like putting a sheet of frosted/colored plastic over an art masterpiece to protect it. But, that's just my opinion.

I agree with you, I prefer clear. I think part of the enjoyment is seeing what you are consuming. The eye tastes before the tongue.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Someone brought fresh blackberries last night and asked me to make a drink for them so I grabbed some mint from the garden and the ladies had a fruity and sweet drink that was refreshing on a hot day. They ended up calling it the Berried Alive:
    2 Ounce London dry gin
    1/2 Luxardo maraschino liqueur
    1/2 St. Germain
    1 Ounce fresh lime juice
    1 Ounce simple syrup
    4 Ounces seltzer
    8 Blackberries
    8 Mint leaves plus 1 for garnish

In a shaker muddle the berries, mint and syrup until incorporated. Add the remaining ingredients except for the seltzer and shake until cold. Double strain into a highball glass filled half way with ice. Top with seltzer and stir lightly. Garnish with mint leaf.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

desert falls off barstool..... Berried Alive..... so that's what a religious ecstatic experience is like.....

I noticed the Luxardo maraschino liqueur. A friend wanted to get me some Luxardo cherries, as we're tired of the common kind. But, she lives out of town and we don't get together too often. So, while I was waiting for her purchase. I found Tillen Farms cherries all their varieties online and a couple locally (since I think they're out of Oregon, they might only be found in stores out here). I'm sold! The naturalness, the colors, the flavor! I am waiting to try the Lux, but I know I will be re-stocking these.

Ok, to be totally honest, I might buy a jar of common green maraschinos for St. Patrick's Day. And a jar of common blue for.... I don't know yet, but they're blue.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I noticed the Luxardo maraschino liqueur.

A very good addition to the home bar. They macerate the entire cheery, pits and all, so you get a pronounced dryness along with the cherry aroma and taste. It is a key component in many classic cocktails.

A friend wanted to get me some Luxardo cherries, as we're tired of the common kind. But, she lives out of town and we don't get together too often. So, while I was waiting for her purchase. I found Tillen Farms cherries all their varieties online and a couple locally (since I think they're out of Oregon, they might only be found in stores out here). I'm sold! The naturalness, the colors, the flavor! I am waiting to try the Lux, but I know I will be re-stocking these.

Those seem to be very reasonably priced. I may give them a shot.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Desert, yes I have two skulls. Augie has one as well, Chirp sent one to her brother.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Wait! You're telling me there're 4 more skulls out there?! Damn! Well, at least MrD (that's what for years we've called my husband here, no relation to the ATS MrD) and I enjoyed the vodka. It actually had a good taste, with the "oil (?)" and taste not filtered out.

Speaking of vodka, lately we've bought Tito's, but the last time we went grocery shopping, MrD saw a bottle of potato mash vodka. He says we've only been drinking grain based, so next time we're at the store, we'll buy that bottle. Have it with grated carrots mixed with mayo (or Greek yogurt---the real stuff---- mixed with mayo) and a ton of minced garlic, to spread on Triscuit crackers; this is a family recipe I got from a Ukrainian family in-law member.

What taste should I expect from the potato mash vodka vs grain?

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I just bought Titos two weeks ago, Texas Vodka. It was awesome! Smooth. Better than Absolute!
edit on 6 5 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Okay, so I finally got around to inventorying everything for you. This is most of it minus a bunch of higher end bottles I don't use for cocktails:
    London dry gin
    Plymouth gin
    Old Tom gin
    Genever
    Botanical gin x 2 types
    Aquavit
    Bourbon x 2 types
    Rye
    Irish Whiskey
    Single Malt
    Dark rum
    White rum from Panama
    Jamaican rum
    Batavia Arrack
    Blanco tequila
    Reposado tequila
    Mezcal x 2 types (one smokier than the other)
    Yellow and Green Chartreuse
    Sweet and Dry vermouths
    Cocchi Americano
    Lillet Blanc
    Amaro x 3 types
    Suze Saveur
    Absinthe
    Benedictine
    Frenet Branca
    St. Germain
    Crème di Violette
    Crème Yvette
    Campari
    Aperol
    Cynar
    Luxardo maraschino
    Applejack
    Cognac
    Armagnac
    Cointreau
    Grand Marnier
    Pernod
    Ricard
    Amaretto
    Sherry x 2 types
    Port
    And last and certainly least, vodka

I am on the look out for a few other mixers such as Pamplemousse and some other newer releases. But I am pretty much out of room at this point.

edit on 5-6-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: never go in against a Sicilian with death is on the line

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

None. They all compete to make the most flavorless product.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I know you didn't as me but in my experience...

I never noticed much of a 'taste' difference.

The potato vodka never ever gave me a headache after.

That's the only difference I perceive.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Pamplemousse!!! I think I saw this last week, I will check the place tomorrow. I wonder if I could FedEx it to you?
edit on 6 5 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

They don't let you FedEx booze. I can get it here however. Just trying to decide which brand I want.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I'm gonna have to clear out a cupboard to fit all that in lol. I reckon if be able to grab about 2/3 of that from my local supermarket though. Might have to make little alterations if I can't though.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Oh, please do feel free to answer anything I ever ask about at ATS! Thanks! Now I know that potato vodka might taste the same and that I might not get a headache. Sweet! And, see, now I know Augie's opinion, which I will accept as his opinion and tactfully ignore it.

originally posted by: TerryDon79
.... grab about 2/3 of that from my local supermarket.....

I love living in a state where I can walk in to buy groceries and booze. OTOH it looks a little suspicious when one sets on the counter a loaf of bread, a carton of eggs, and a litre of vod....gin..... or whatever. That's why I always confine my booze buying to when I need a cartful of groceries, then I can hide it somewhat between bags of fruits and vegetables, or cracker boxes around it. Heck, by bringing in one's own cloth grocery bags, one can conveniently use the bags as bottle(s) covers, as they're rolling along the counter.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I checked online and I was right. Can get about 2/3 lol. Grand total of £330 for what I can find lol.

I think I'll have to go through the list and see what I really would use aswell.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join