It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cocktails

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: TerryDon79
I had to google that just to be sure you weren't yanking my chain.

That's what I do. I drink and I know things.

Drink, know things and yanking chains?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: TerryDon79
I never thought that I would watch a video explaining how to swizzle lol.

I have a feeling you have watched much more, ahem, interesting videos in your internet travels.

I will neither confirm nor deny the possibility of me watching "interesting" videos on the Internet.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
So much for making plans. Well, no reading but instead getting ready for company. We ended up inviting BFF for dinner, because we needed to get some Portuguese cheese from her (un regalito that we had neglected to take home last Saturday). Serving margaritas, tequila for them and probably vodka for me, although at the last minute I could go with gin. I had to get started on everything, because I'm probably the slowest cocktail maker in the world; if you had asked me to make you a cocktail on page one, I would be serving it to you now. Come to think of it, pre-made mixers were made for people like me, but I refuse to use.

We're doing a sorta-sous-vide tri-tip for dinnner, with roasted corn (off the cob), and a smoked Spanish paprika encrusted baked Oaxaca cheese. The meat and cheese are experiments. Anyway, that's why I'm adding margaritas to dinner, since company is coming. Otherwise, only just the usual glass of water.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Damn! I'm putting on my tin foil hat when I think about bars and cocktails! Augie, you're reading my mind! I was going to ask you today about swizzle sticks, drink stirrers. I have never heard of that swizzle stick before! Yes, now that is something I NEED for my bar. I will definitely buy one. Yay!...And a video on the proper method...be still my heart!

Since as a kid I loved playing with all the souvenir swizzle/stirrer sticks my parents would bring home, I inherited (well, took, because no one else wanted them when my parents passed on) their stock of now-vintage ones. Since I retired and reclaimed my wet bar, I have gone all schlocky and added some for each holiday, along with some neat acrylic ones done by 3-D artisans. In fact, we will be sipping drinks with appropriate party symbol swizzle sticks when watching each party convention this summer on tv.

QUESTION: are swizzle sticks and stir sticks and drink stirrers the same thing? I think, at least, stir sticks could be used for coffee, so I say "not really". Drink stirrers could be for powdered Kool Aid, so I am left with swizzle sticks being ONLY for bar beverages. Please tell me everything else I need to know re this barware!

Also, I did find the After Dinner Cocktail in your thread. I have it copied into my drink notebook.

Also, please, please do not kick me off this thread for sharing the Kraft cocktail recipes! MrD and I were almost kicked out of our Gourmet Cooking Club (and we were among the founding members, and there're only five of us! haha five of us, that's how democracy works....3-2 votes) after divulging that we had made a Fritos Chili Pizza. We had thought about keeping it our secret shame, but probably in a weak moment after cocktails, we let it slip. We were summarily warned that what we had made was a severe club infraction. We did end up making something that helped redeem us, but I do not want to go through that shame again.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert
Damn! I'm putting on my tin foil hat when I think about bars and cocktails! Augie, you're reading my mind! I was going to ask you today about swizzle sticks, drink stirrers. I have never heard of that swizzle stick before! Yes, now that is something I NEED for my bar. I will definitely buy one. Yay!...And a video on the proper method...be still my heart!

Yup, Steve from EO swizzling. He is cool in person by the way, check out the documentary Hey Bartender! Here is a link to the place I go to when I am in NYC, Cocktail Kingdom. They have everything you could need.

QUESTION: are swizzle sticks and stir sticks and drink stirrers the same thing? I think, at least, stir sticks could be used for coffee, so I say "not really". Drink stirrers could be for powdered Kool Aid, so I am left with swizzle sticks being ONLY for bar beverages. Please tell me everything else I need to know re this barware!

The one I linked can be used for all of those but I prefer to use it only for cocktails since it is close to $20.

Also, please, please do not kick me off this thread for sharing the Kraft cocktail recipes! MrD and I were almost kicked out of our Gourmet Cooking Club (and we were among the founding members, and there're only five of us! haha five of us, that's how democracy works....3-2 votes) after divulging that we had made a Fritos Chili Pizza. We had thought about keeping it our secret shame, but probably in a weak moment after cocktails, we let it slip. We were summarily warned that what we had made was a severe club infraction. We did end up making something that helped redeem us, but I do not want to go through that shame again.

I'm cool, I don't judge.

Unless you only drink vodka.

edit on 6-6-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude once thought he had beer but it turned out to be Natty Ice.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Thank you for not banishing me. I did turn on my LED tealight candle and placed it in front of my statue of St. Amand on my bar. Musta worked..... nah, you're just a good-hearted, non-judgemental person.

Hey, speaking of St. Amand, he's the patron saint of bartenders and wine lovers. I have a small statute made by an artisan on Etsy. I thought it would be a cool addition to the bar. No tikis for desert! No, siree.... alright, I do have on the wall the small tiki face my son brought back from Hawaii as a gift. But BFF is big into bar styling. she has a bar cart herself, and she thought my bar looked great.

I think I got it re swizzle sticks. I will definitely use that term for bar beverage drink stirrers, even though I have just purchased the original deal. ..... Funny, it doesn't look at all like my other swizzle sticks. Evolution is a good thing. .... and I did learn about swizzling! Oh, BFF found that doc to stream on Netflix.

Now, a couple ?s. I ran across a glass called a "mixing glass". What is that? Also, give me the lowdown on Lewis bags. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: desert
I ran across a glass called a "mixing glass".

Most likely just a 18oz pint glass. You use that with a mixing tin to first measure out the drinks. being it clear it allows you or your guests to watch. You then fill it with ice, invert the tin over it and shake. It takes the place of the other metal tin in a 18/28 Boston shaker.

Also, give me the lowdown on Lewis bags. Thanks!

Great for making cracked/crushed ice. You place your cubes in the bag and break them with a wooden mallet. The canvas absorbs the extra water so you do not get watery ice. These are great for making swizzles, juleps and other cocktails requiring this type of ice.

edit on 8-6-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: never go in against a Sicilian with death is on the line

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
SO I don't feel like a cocktail, I just had a beer (bleak its been years) but I need a red vino. Not american, never american.
Slide me a NZ Cloudy Bay Merlot pls bar keep.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I checked their website, they don't make Merlot so I got you a nice Pinot from them and something to help drink it:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

You are correct! No straws.

So how was your day. Whats news. Lets get drunk.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Working from home this week. Got my cave man ass a haircut and some sushi. Big plans all weekend. Saturday will be fun, cocktail party on our friends roof deck on the waterfront in Jersey City. The Statue of Liberty is basically his back yard.

Next week is Detroit. Weeee.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Ya know I was looking at buying a church in detroit just today. Might buy up some places that will eventually sell. Ive never been there, but its super cheap .

Slugs back first glass of pinot.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Everything in Detroit is cheap right now. A good time to buy. Augie, I am flying back to Detroit next week too.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
Ya know I was looking at buying a church in detroit just today. Might buy up some places that will eventually sell. Ive never been there, but its super cheap .

I'll mostly be out in the Troy area doing some strategic presentations.

Slugs back first glass of pinot.

That bottle was a magnum so you have plenty.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
Augie, I am flying back to Detroit next week too.

Sorry to hear that. Fortunately I will not be downtown too much, the food scene is lacking.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

LOL, I will be in Troy. It is where my son lives, are you staying at the Marriott on Big Beaver Road?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

I'm not a Marriott guy.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

are you staying at the Marriott on Big Beaver Road?

Yes, Mason, please DO share!

LOL

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Good me either lol. Birmingham has some great bars!

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Never heard of it , but have a blast there. If it is at all possible.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I will endeavor to do my best but during the week I am a work animal which is why cocktail hour always starts at 4 on Fridays.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join