It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Colonization of Mars is a Dumb Pursuit.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1
a reply to: Misterlondon

u mean ruining another planet

How can you ruin something that is already deemed as a dead planet?

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

there is know way of knowing that based on telescopes, a couple probes, and a janky remote control car.
edit on 11-4-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

there is know way of knowing that based on telescopes, a couple probes, and a janky remote control car.

It's a little more technical than that and our current knowledge suggests that is the case.. so to be honest ill go with decades worth of scientific study over some random guy on an Internet forum.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

its logic, we havent even surveyed planet earth 100 percent, therefore it would be impossible to survey mars 100 percent. If mars hasnt been surveyed 100 percent then we do not know what resources it may or may not have.

Its crazy how many people really just believe everything they read without thinking it through,

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

its logic, we havent even surveyed planet earth 100 percent, therefore it would be impossible to survey mars 100 percent. If mars hasnt been surveyed 100 percent then we do know what resources it may or may not have.

Its crazy how many people really just believe everything they read without thinking it through,

As shown by your statements.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

successfully refute that line of logic with fact and i will take back my statement

waiting.......................................................................................................

you guys may want to get phage for this one its your best chance

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

successfully refute that line of logic with fact and i will take back my statement

Easily. Your disregarding what exists and can be researched and physically observed through understanding engineering with conspiracy theories there are only rumors about.

Sure they could be true. So could unicorns.

We do know Musk landed a rocket stage, fought the US air force for monopolizing contracts, fights the koke brothers to create a solar company that can compete with oil despite their conspiratorial actions against it, and that he dumped his fortune into developing Tesla which is the most technically advanced auto in production.
edit on 11-4-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

again this is just info you read given to you by the people in charge of releasing what information we get to read. so we will just go round and round and you will never actually provide prof only regurgitate what you have been given.

and if you reading the thread and correctly reading the responses I responded to misterlonden after he said mars was a dead planet he then responded again so i asked him refute my logic pertaining to that specific argument. u decided to responded to misterlondons reply so i assumed you were entering that conversation

I will go further talking about how big and grounding some dudes space tech is. Cause it is far from groundbreaking

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

again this is just info you read given to you by the people in charge of releasing what information we get to read. so we will just go round and round and you will never actually provide prof only regurgitate what you have been given.

and if you reading the thread and correctly reading the responses I responded to misterlonden after he said mars was a dead planet he then responded again so i asked him refute my logic pertaining to that specific argument.

I will go further talking about how big and grounding some dudes space tech is. Cause it is far from groundbreaking

Right except you most likely have no engineering or mathematical background, no programming, no physics. Or you would not be saying this.

You also are just going by a theory impossible to prove which is not rational.

Show me this technology exists.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

working on my engenering degree now and was a missle monkey as a young man. so that point is false.

also like i said neither of can provide prof either way so this will just keep going round and round, clearly your reading comprehension skill is on the lower end of the spectrum, i mentioned this earlier.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
i agree with you entirely. i think it's obscene that so much money is spent on getting off this planet over making sure this planet is replenished and looked after. i think it's obscene that there are people starving and dying of thirst on this planet when a tiny fraction of the space costs could totally eradicate world hunger and probably even poverty worldwide. it's disgusting. yes, explore space, but only when this planet is sorted and everyone has a viable future to look forward to. currently all we're doing is adding to space junk on mars. what a tragedy.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I hate to say this since I grew up on Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, "Star Trek", "Space: 1999", "UFO", "Lost in Space", "The Outer Limits", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "The Thing". I LIVE space. You get the picture.

There is no planet or moon in our solar system that is worth the expense and effort of colonizing now or in the future.

They are barren rocks, gaseous giants, toxic hells or frozen balls of elements normally found in a gaseous state. They are at ridiculous distances, which no current or foreseeable tech can conquer for purposes of colonization.

Secondly, the human body is completely adapted to life at One Atmosphere - Planet Earth. In space human beings lose muscle tone and mass, and bone decalcifies. The organs, particularly the heart muscle and brain, try to assume the shape of a sphere. There is not yet any data to indicate what the long-term effects of these phenomena would be.

Keep dreaming. I do. But don't get your hopes up.

The money would be better spent on telescopes and autonomous missions. Mars has been done to death. It's time to focus on other planets and moons.

Earth's magnetic field shields us from cosmic rays, wicked radiation. I'm sure we are all familiar with the Van Allen radiation belts. We will not be protected in space.

Irradiation is a miserable way to die, especially out in space, far from home.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyteeny

here here, I think it has to do with the brainwashing done through tv and movies, I enjoy scifi as much as the next guy(even fashion myself an expert in some series) but instead of thinking about what "could" happen in space like so many other keyboard astronauts i prefer to really work on what we can do here and now.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: reddragon2015

Well, according to cretins with a low imagination quotient, we are also in the midst of a population crisis.

Assuming that such an idiotic premise were accurate, rather than the invention of some people who would love to see us squabble for resources instead of choosing to topple their oligarchies by stamping on their heads a few times, the best thing to do, would be to move some of our species off world. Think about it for a moment. Let's imagine the human race is actually a motor car. Let's also say that the resources to be found on Earth, and on Mars are like fuel tanks.

Now, Mars has less resource in terms of geothermal heat, in terms of obvious reactants lying around, plus there is no vegetation anywhere there at the moment, so it is hard to imagine there being anything of note there to partake of, but actually there are some interesting compounds that we could make very good use of there. So let's say that rather than being a second, full scale fuel tank, Mars is a very good reserve tank.

Now it just so happens, that moving to more than one of the objects in our solar system, makes our species far more proofed against cosmic coincidences like asteroid impacts, and our own stupidities consequences, like nuclear oblivion, or consumption of all natural resources to the absolute hilt.

Also, learning to live on Mars may teach us much about how to live on our world as it changes. Imagine that we cannot change the path we are on, and that what is now verdant and lush, will soon be nothing but more dust. We need to have better, wider knowledge of how to operate a life in those circumstances, and figuring that stuff out on Mars, ahead of time, is going to offer real world benefits to people living in sandy places now, and will offer people of the future a great deal more than just an easier life.

If things get as bad as we are always told they will, then information like that will be of paramount importance to a ridiculous number of people on the planet.

No matter which way you crane your neck, if your brain is firing on all cylinders, you cannot help but believe that a Mars mission is a good idea....UNLESS it is a one way mission. I have no respect for anyone who would ever send a person on such a quest. If we are to send people from Earth to Mars, then we must only do so when we could potentially recover the vessel inside a week or so, not months, years, or decades later. Honestly, as impressed as I am by Space X landing a rocket on a drone ship (and trust me, I am giddy about that), I have to confess that I HATE the fact that we are still using rockets at all. Stupidly dangerous things they are. Let's sit seven guys on a bomb and call it a transport method, and not make any real change to the process from the sixties, to now! Seems legit...

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I imagine space like a cosmic shooting gallery. Except the universe is using a whole lot of 00 buckshot. Colonizing another planet, the moon, or even the asteroid belt is an obvious way to ensure the species will survive long term in the solar system.

This is a rant against Elon Musk. He's not the one who originally came to the conclusion that we need to get off this rock in order to survive. He's just the one willing to put his money in to make it happen. He's the most pro science entrepreneur in the US, and without SpaceX and its ambitious mission it would be even longer before humans could go to Mars within our lifetimes.
edit on 11 4 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
earths fine? it is at minute but at some point there will be another E.l.E and unless they look at stuff like that then no one will be about to even care about money.

we control money,whats more important? not doing enough before we,r wiped out or how much it costs?

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

working on my engenering degree now and was a missle monkey as a young man. so that point is false.

also like i said neither of can provide prof either way so this will just keep going round and round, clearly your reading comprehension skill is on the lower end of the spectrum, i mentioned this earlier.

Sure you are.

I can prove what I said . You can not.

Your entire premise is a self refuting idea.

It boarders on utter lunacy. Just apply the categorical imparitive. You will see there is no reason to believe anything. Even with physical proof.

I had no idea there was a reading spectrum. My comprehension is fine. You have no arguement.

Not only is it a self refuting idea. It's a genetic fallacy.

Since you aren't disproving any concepts but rather their source.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

we already now how to live in desert climates, and if overpopulation was really a thing we needed to worry about we would have already started to move into uninhabited parts of the earth, just because u live on a cramped island that has been raped and pillaged by outsiders and royals alike doesn't mean the walls are closing in, there is plenty of living space out there that would sustain future generations till the end of time, it just takes a little hard work and the ability to live with the land.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

the only way to prove my personel claims would break the rules and be a stupid move on my part, either way though i dont have to prove anything to someone that just still cant get it.

You have no prof, I have no prof, therefore this argument it moot.

This is the third time ive said it in so many words.

I hope it gets through this time.

BTW I noticed how you used your thesaurus app to make it look like you are a well read individual in your last post, remember though, looks are not everything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join