It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Colonization of Mars is a Dumb Pursuit.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: reddragon2015
a reply to: luthier

break sound barries = useful technology on earth. Colonizing mars isn't anything but a rich man's ambition and a circle jerk of people who support it.

That isn't true. In order to do so we will need to develop technology and solve problems that will have other applications on earth.
edit on 11-4-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

how about a colony on the moon first?

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Sure. I agree.

Especially with the H3

There may be some concern however of the damage we could do there being earth changing.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Wait, did you not watch the video where Elon want to nuke Mars? Do more research breathen

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143
a reply to: M5xaz

The last Western Black Rhino went extinct in 2013.

I guess that's okay as long as we waste billions colonizing a dead rock.

Stopping space exploration will not help the Rhino; if anything space based systems for weather and land monitoring allow better management of our planet

www.nasa.gov...-_krKM8

edit on 11-4-2016 by M5xaz because: c

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

a reply to: Metallicus

Wait, did you not watch the video where Elon want to nuke Mars? Do more research breathen

He doesn't want to nuke Mars...come on man

He wants to blast some nukes above Mars to act as mini Suns to melt the carbon dioxide for the atmosphere. It's an idea. One they would run modelling for.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
It's not dumb....

Just impossible ...just saying

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Besides the two are unrelated.

Like saying your dog barked and my car leaks oil.

Your logic in discourse is lacking.....
edit on 11-4-2016 by M5xaz because: c

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
Are you sure it's not the elite's survival once they turn our planet into one as barren as Mars.

Like every piece of technology we have produced as time goes forward costs will go down.

edit on 11-4-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

stupid logic...

Stupid logic is leaving all your eggs in one basket. There is a reason why that idiom makes total sense.

edit on 11-4-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: reddragon2015

Yes, that's a tragedy but that's one subspecies of black rhino. I still don't see what one has to do with the other. Are we wasting money on space exploration that should be devoted to conservation? If we really wanted to reallocate resources from something, it should be war.

I think a base on the Moon makes far more sense all the way around than one on Mars as a first step. The lessons we would learn there would be applicable to a Mars bases and beyond and with far less risk since we can send aid/rescue to the Moon and have it arrive in a few days.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Colonizing any body other than earth is going to dull, nasty, backj-breaking, dangerous, brutal work. Conditions there will be primitive for a long time.

Do you really think the elite of Earth are going to be the ones doing that? Somehow, I just can't picture the Rockefellers of the world living in tiny, primitive hab modules and collecting their crap in baggies to be added to the communal close loop subsistence farm.
edit on 11-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

What I'm pointing out is how stupid prioritizing pointless space endeavors are versus protecting what we have right here, seeing as we're perfectly adapted to Earth and all.

You may not feel the extinction of rare animals is a big deal. I do, and so do millions of other Earthlings just like me.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

What I'm pointing out is how stupid prioritizing pointless space endeavors are versus protecting what we have right here, seeing as we're perfectly adapted to Earth and all.

You may not feel the extinction of rare animals is a big deal. I do, and so do millions of other Earthlings just like me.

Why does it have to be one or the other.

If your a realist there is only so much you can do. The elections last time around in the US were over a billion for each main candidate. Why don't you first concentrate on the waste within systems like this before ones that could develop the very effiency technology needed to protect animals here.
edit on 11-4-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Better than blowing it on stupid wars. NASA and other space programs have contributed greatly to the advancement of technology the past 50 years.

Yeah we are doing a good job of destroying the world but Elon Musk is doing a lot of good to develop technologies that will help us take better care of the planet. Also the more we understand space, and other planets, it may help us understand our own better. Perhaps with future technology it may be possible to terraform Mars to be Earth- like.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: 123143

How do you propose we protect a creature that does not live within our borders? If the people of that nation do not put a high priority on preserving the rhino, there is only so much we can do about it. We cannot keep a viable population in our zoos of every creature roaming the face of the earth.

Should we invade and set that nation straight for not taking enough care of their wildlife?

Since we cannot really invade the entire earth just to satisfy your instincts, I'll take that money and set it to space exploration. If we can find ways to improve life for everyone or provide an outlet for humanity to take off the pressure, it may save what's left in other ways.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Short and sweet, we can't deal with what we have here.

We have no business spreading our disease elsewhere.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

These clowns can't even go to the moon and they are talking about Mars, that is the funnest part.

FUNNEST.

Ya, better to just focus on going super far when we could start off with much nearer, and gain much needed data and info on just what will take place.

Elon has watched too many space movies and wants it all to be true.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

was always bad a spelling(i believe my 12 grade state bubble tests indicated my reading above average and my spelling at a ninth grade level, i always thought it was weird myself) and when spell check came out it just made it worse, what made it worse is my recent tendency to stop using spell check unless it really mattered

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join