It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Colonization of Mars is a Dumb Pursuit.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Want to add that all I am all for exploration and what not. But colonizing Mars seems pretty far off, by all means study away and learn about it, but the rock we live on now is the best planet I ever lived on.

Musk is saying 2026-30 to start sending robots to start building and a small team.

We are talking about a guy who started his own aerospace company leading the world. He has the largest auto manufacturing plant on the planet. The giga battery project, solar city, and developing the hyper loop. All tech for Mars.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Going to other planets will help us understand our own.

You sound like you're concerned about climate change. Well, you should be screaming for a manned trip to Mars. Because many believe Mars underwent a runaway greenhouse effect. The more we know about how that happened on Mars, the more we can help our own planet.

Sure, robots can do some of this research. But there's no substitute to putting a pair of human eyes and human hands right on the scene.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

money buys things that we can use to stop poisioning the earth,

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Before we solve that pesky problem called death, or maybe just get to the point where we're living much, much longer, we need more room. Maybe not right away, but eventually.
And that type of endeavour will take a long, long time to get it right, so we need to start now.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

money buys things that we can use to stop poisioning the earth,

Like all the tech Elon is making?

Solar city, Tesla, the hyperloop, reusable rockets.

Money dies not force people to stop consuming and having babies across the planet.

Dean Kamen invented the sling shot and nobody will fund it. Maybe you think they should be forced too?

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

a reply to: Metallicus

all that money could go to save this planet

IF it needed saving, sure.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Cute, gotta make it personal huh?
Sorry I oftended you with my comment. I will try harder in the future not to say anything that may trigger you.

I expect you and I to be on the opposite side of every issue. I don't mind because if everyone agreed with me life would be boring.

Also, it wasn't about making it personal, but if you want to include yourself as someone killing the planet don't say WE.

I am not part of that scam.
edit on 2016/4/11 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

exactly the kind of ignorance that is making earth go to sh"t

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

exactly the kind of ignorance that is making earth go to sh"t

I think you are being ignorant. Guess its a stalemate?

The Earth is fine except for Global Whining.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

The earth may possibly be fine after it destroys us and a lot of animals and plants. It would have to go through the cycle again of repopulating after a collapse.

Even if you don't think we are doing damage to climate we are definetley doing major damage to habitat.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

ur kidding right? you know all that tech has already been invented, we are just allowed to know about it now. Either way the ones in charge are intentionally raping the earth as to instill fear and gain control. Your inability to detect deception is your downfall
edit on 11-4-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: reddragon2015

Well you have two choices, either learn to make new habitats for humanity and escape the earth itself which would allow humanity to avoid earth based extinction crisis as even if they become extinct here then they may still exist there.

Created a totalitarian state in which all human's are strictly regulated, birth rate is controlled even more strictly that in China and kill off any excess population, perhaps like the Gate's foundation, in Africa when giving out free vaccination's which it were shown after doctors there tested them to have a large dose of chemical sterilization agent's hidden in them, sterilise people without them ever knowing it was being done to them effectively ending there family line's., Or we could just have a war but imprisoning humanity to the EARTH is a death sentence and it is as simple as that.

So is it really dumb or is making the wrong choice now and not pursuing that technology a better option really?.

I suggest it is far more dumb not to colonize IF and WHEN we have the ability to do so which is sadly not just yet and may actually be a century or more away assuming our race survived the already happening ecological crisis which will cause mass starvation and climate change.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

The earth may possibly be fine after it destroys us and a lot of animals and plants. It would have to go through the cycle again of repopulating after a collapse.

Even if you don't think we are doing damage to climate we are definetley doing major damage to habitat.

IF by WE you mean things like fracking then sure. I have personally never fracked a damn thing except maybe once in college, but in fairness I was drunk.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Because it is the first step to getting out of this solar system. That's not a "dumb idea." It is essential to our long-term survival. Right now, as far as we know, we have all our eggs in one basket: Earth.

Now THAT'S a stupid idea.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

ur kidding right? you know all that tech has already been invented, we are just allowed to know about it now. Either way the ones in charge are intentionally raping the earth as to instill fear and gain control. Your ability to detect deception is your downfall

You don't understand.

He is fighting against the power industry with solar city. He is trying to set up a model to compete while also refining the tech.

No the tech in his cars did not exist accept in a small prototype company in California. It's not just am electric car. It's the whole process.

A hyperloop exists?

Somebody already has reusable rockets and has taken on and sued the US government for anti competition claims?

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

no stalemate, your clearly a cynic that gets off on arguing every chance you get even if you know your clearly wrong. Here is fact, if human-kind is a sad state, it effects our planet , if our planet is sad state it effects human kind, its a clear symbiotic relationship.

Knowing this we should work on these problems before we bring them to another planet.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

IF by WE you mean things like fracking then sure. I have personally never fracked a damn thing except maybe once in college, but in fairness I was drunk.

Not just fracking global polution and the destruction of microorganisms. Population increase expanding on natural habitat causing extinction.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

no you dont understand. everything you just said you read somewhere and believe it to be true and groundbreaking

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

no you dont understand. everything you just said you read somewhere and believe it to be true and groundbreaking

It's better than making it up as I go..

At least there is emperical evidence for what I say.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

such as?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join