It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Colonization of Mars is a Dumb Pursuit.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
First of all, I want to say that I have no issue with wanting to explore space and beyond. It's an awesome idea.

It's just so stupid to me, that we are wanting and investing time and money into a project to colonize a dead planet. All in the while, we have this beautiful planet, that is Earth, here and we are killing it!

Why? I think we should stop any colonization of Mars or any other planet and learn to keep this one first. We have here is a rare life supporting planet right where we are.

It's just with all these people celebrating about Elon Musk and his landing of booster blah blah blah.

Do you really think this guy cars about the environment at all? Selling an electric car for 80k a pop?

Stop celebrating useless stuff, like putting a man on mars, and how about we save the rhino's. Oh wait, they're already gone as of today.

Wake up people. Elon Musk is not a savior nor a pioneer. Just another douche with money.

Okay, I'll stop ranting now.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Er.. colonising another planet would be a fantastic achievement for the human race.. It would also be a stepping stone to exploring further into space. .

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: reddragon2015

I support such research and adventure for sure.
I imagine the pioneers will be remembered if in a thousand of years humans are routinely living around the solar system and beyond.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Interesting, I wonder what many scientists thoughts on breaking the sound barrier back in the day?

Good thing they took that dumb chance.
edit on 11-4-2016 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Having humans (and other species) on another planet almost guarantees our (their) survival so it actually is a very high priority for the future of all living things on earth.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Sometimes we need to do things because we can just to stretch our legs as the human race. Colonizing another planet would be a fantastic achievement and one much more noble than bombing people, spying on people, being a bigot and other negative things humans do every day.

I would support this achievement over most things we do as humans as this doesn't hurt anyone and at the same time gives people the ability to dream and take pride at what we can achieve.

Also, WE aren't killing the Earth nor could we. The Earth will be fine.

link   

Hey tesla just is putting out a car that is 30k, so he is moving in that direction.

I do wholeheartedly agree that we need to focus on saving the rock we are on on instead of moving to a new one. If I tighten my tinfoil hat, one can wonder if they think it is beyond hope tho.

link   
For f*ck sake. How many times do we need to hear this rant. We have the people and the money and the skills to concentrate on various things at the same time.

Should we stop all art, exploration, music, book writing, science etc... until all the world's problems are solved? Ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Blah blah blah.

Earth is a finite place with finite space.

So unless you and your hippy freinds want to practice euthanasia then eventually we need to expand out into space.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Hey tesla just is putting out a car that is 30k, so he is moving in that direction.

I do wholeheartedly agree that we need to focus on saving the rock we are on on instead of moving to a new one. If I tighten my tinfoil hat, one can wonder if they think it is beyond hope tho.

The Earth will be fine and WE aren't the problem.

Maybe you are, but not me.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
For f*ck sake. How many times do we need to hear this rant. We have the people and the money and the skills to concentrate on various things at the same time.

Should we stop all art, exploration, music, book writing, science etc... until all the world's problems are solved? Ridiculous.

Exactly. Also, discoveries and advances made in technology, in general, can help sustainability here on Earth.

It's like saying you aren't going to poop until you lose weight.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

We didn't need to go to the moon either, but a lot of the technology we take for granted now found its beginnings in that era and those programs.

Look at it this way:

Just for starters, one thing that would help our planet out is a clean supply of energy. One problem we will have to work out in order to colonize Mars is energy. There are no fossil fuels there. Solving our energy problem on Mars could help unlock clean sustainable fuel technology that can be brought back to Earth. Necessity is the mother of invention.

If Mars is truly dead, we might choose to attempt to terraform it. Think of all the applications of that technology that could be brought back to Earth ...

I'm sure that are myriad different applications of the all the thousand and one engineering problems that would have to be solved in order to build a permanent base on Mars. All of them with potential applications back home to make everyone's life better and with the potential to help us preserve our home planet.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Cute, gotta make it personal huh?
Sorry I oftended you with my comment. I will try harder in the future not to say anything that may trigger you.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Want to add that all I am all for exploration and what not. But colonizing Mars seems pretty far off, by all means study away and learn about it, but the rock we live on now is the best planet I ever lived on.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

u mean ruining another planet

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

all that money could go to save this planet

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Well we need points in the solar system like outposts anyway. Pretty sure there is mining availability. We can't just take stuff from earth and build everything here and rocket it up to space.

Also it's inspiring for the young to wake up and be excited about what we are doing.

Musk definitely cares about the planet. He wouldn't invest his money on such risky ventures. Solar city (against big power, electric against the auto industry, and space x competing against the government )

The model S was made expensive in order to pay for development. It was a brilliant 3 part plan starting high and limited, medium model x, and now lower middle with his newest model. It worked he has 100's of billions in pre orders nd the cars are well beyound what's available. Not to mention open sourced tech.

edit on 11-4-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

So unless you and your hippy freinds want to practice euthanasia then eventually we need to expand out into space.

What? Logan's Run wasn't about a utopian paradise? I love soylent green as much as the next guy, but population growth isn't slow enough to ignore its potential impact. I kinda have to agree here.
edit on 11-4-2016 by AntiDoppleganger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

all that money could go to save this planet

Really? Explain

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

there is no way of knowing if mars doesnt have any fossil fuels

new topics

top topics