It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Colonization of Mars is a Dumb Pursuit.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko No way do I picture the elite living on another planet right off the bat... that's why I said it will be worked on and terraformed by the poor and downtrodden for a slaves wage much like the elite Dubai.
I imagine they will send people serving time to do a lot of the grunt work too. Of course there will have to be scientists and the like out there in space on some other planet too and I imagine many great minds might lose their lives in such a grand plan in outer space.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with wanting to colonize Mars, it's already a dead planet so it's not like we can do any more harm to it, and as already mentioned it will help ensure the survival of our species if something were to happen to Earth.

The problem imo is this plan of how it will be achieved by sending a handful of humans on chemically fueled rockets on a trip that takes like a year. It will take far too long and far too much energy to build a population on Mars that way.

Until a more advanced form propulsion is released into the public sector, these plans are all wishful thinking. We need something that is safer and faster if we really want to make serious progress, and I personally believe that technology already exists.
edit on 11/4/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: reddragon2015

nice rant bro....next time try harder....teslawho u messing with bud.....

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Bingo! Yup, good thing we are great idiots and trying all kinds of wild things right? Wrong according to mr here....If me memory is correct, we'd die at 60mph....or was it 30.....

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
My suspicion regarding the first "colonists" would be a near 100% suicide rate if they are on one way missions. Living in a space suit in different gravity would cause serious depression, no matter how well trained they are.
Unless of course it is 3 months stints with the ability to return to earth.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Cause you been outside of Earth of course.....got it.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

Hmm, your avatar....maybe you haven't read any comics and he has the luxury to?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
My two cents it's better if we were at least a two planet species, call it insurance.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Problem is Mars is dead (pretty much) harder to revive it than it would be to protect earth.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

Problem is Mars is dead (pretty much) harder to revive it than it would be to protect earth.

I am influenced by Red Mars Green Mars, but I say we try to do both, if we can successfully terraform Mars then we are well on the way to the stars themselves.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Till they can work out how to create an atmosphere thats not whipped away by solar winds by reviving the now dead magnetic field it won't be possible. The core is solidified and the planet is likely to small too have sustained it. They'd have to make Mars bigger as well ....ouch too hard!
Reviving a planet is an enormous job. Not likely in the next 5 or ten lifetimes if ever.

edit on 12-4-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Till they can work out hot to create an atmosphere thats whipped away by solar winds by reviving the now dead magnetic field it won't be possible. The core is solidified and the planet is likely to small to have sustained it.
How to revive a planet is an enormous job. Not likely in the next 5 or ten lifetimes if ever.

I agree the task is enormous and will necessarily be multi generational, but just remember we went from horse and buggy to the moon in some folks life time.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Double the trouble!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Yup! Imagine what we all could do IF we had the tech.....to moon n back.....

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

We will find a habitable exoplanet and invent viable space travel before we figure how synthesize everything on Mars.

Not to mention Mars hasn't got a stable rotation either, it wobbles, another problem to solve!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Why the Colonization of Mars is a Dumb Pursuit.

I can think of so many reasons that that'll do 'er. Right there.

P.S. Oh. Gads, the usual latest regulars; from where did did you all crawl out from beneath?

edit on 12-4-2016 by Bybyots because:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   

We will find a habitable exoplanet and invent viable space travel before we figure how synthesize everything on Mars.

Not to mention Mars hasn't got a stable rotation either, it wobbles, another problem to solve!

You making it harder for me to want to colonize Mars, but can we at least strip mine it..

edit on 12-4-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

lol yes!
Though it probably doesn't have as many heavy elements as earth, however, there are plenty of meteorites on the surface that may have some good elements or minerals. Or maybe we can just nick its tiny moons, they don't act as stabilizers so they don't settle the Mars wobble, and if they are just captured asteroids, then we can score good stuff from them!

edit on 12-4-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   

lol yes!
Though it probably doesn't have as many heavy elements as earth, however, there are aplenty of meteorites on the surface that may have some good elements. So yes! Or maybe we can just nick its tiny moons, if they are just captured asteroids, then we can score good stuff from them!

Oh thank you Zazz you partally saved my fantasy..

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Come again anytime for dinner and a show.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join