It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should any educated adult believe any of the stone age religions are anything but make believe?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: IsidoreOfSeville
a reply to: Xeven

People don't become martyrs over make believe.

Tell that to the people who have been affected and have been injured or killed by suicide bombers. They sure do. Not too mention people used to willingly sacrifice themselves in tribes to appease the gods and spiritworld.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Is there one shred of evidence that is obvious and objective that anything in any of the stone age religions is true? I mean if the creator magical wizards are all powerful, they sure going out of there way to hide from modern man.

Yes, there is such evidence: actually it excludes none of the entirety of existence.
Of course, it may also apparently be construed as evidence that monkeyfish is radioactive proof that god is an explosion, so to each their own.

However, the creator revealed supernatural things to only very few people if we are to believe any part of the accounts of such events, and people today (including but fortunately not limited to american presidents) do claim communication.

So whether or not these people who claim to hear the voice of the creator are without exception liars, the proportion of people who even make those claims has always been minuscule.
Program a cellphone game, play with it once in a while, the rest of your time you're not really "hiding" from it as much as doing your own thing.

Explosions and monkeys don't talk so that's one way to solve the question, but another more satisfying one is to tune in and listen carefully, at worst it gives peace of mind and at best, who knows, you might hear something, and depending on how you use the days granted to you by (fishmonkey ancestry formed by nonsentient explosion/ a conscious creator / something else entirely) you may even experience things you're not able to reproduce or even explain with your public school explanation kit.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: IsidoreOfSeville
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No, I'm talking about something like what happened in Africa when Boko Haram came knocking on doors and killed people for not renouncing Christianity. Or the folks that died because they wouldn't burn incense to a pagan god.

The martyrdom you mentioned is a political game. What I'm talking about are the folks that deliberately choose death rather than give up their faith.

Faith which could also be faith in a false religion.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Usually those types of faiths don't last until the reaper is peeked at.

Just like birds have the instinct to migrate to specific islands, people have the instinct that professing faith in bull#, while it may provide convenience for a time, doesn't sit well with death.

Dying bed atheist confessions 101, ask a nurse

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: wisvol

Usually those types of faiths don't last until the reaper is peeked at.

I can think of three of them that have lasted for many millennia.

Just like birds have the instinct to migrate to specific islands, people have the instinct that professing faith in bull#, while it may provide convenience for a time, doesn't sit well with death.

Lol. People go their whole lives believing bull# as truth. People have very BAD bull# detectors actually.

Dying bed atheist confessions 101, ask a nurse

Fear of death in your final moments isn't proof that the religion is real. What if I converted to Scientology in my final moments to get away from Xenu? Does that make that religion real?
edit on 31-3-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Lol. People go their whole lives believing bull# as truth. People have very BAD bull# detectors actually.

It can be fine tuned.

Fear of death in your final moments isn't proof that the religion is real. What if I converted to Scientology in my final moments to get away from Xenu? Does that make that religion real?

I am referring to people who fear death, yes.
Not in their final moments, but throughout: their final moments being indicative that they don't actually believe in scientology, they just went along to get a job at monsanto.
It does not make anything more real.
But it sure is funny to watch

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

It can be fine tuned.

Sure. If critical thinking is properly taught to them. Consequently the millennial generation is the most educated generation ever and has one of the highest rates of atheism/agnosticism. I wonder if there is a correlation there...

I am referring to people who fear death, yes.
Not in their final moments, but throughout: their final moments being indicative that they don't actually believe in scientology, they just went along to get a job at monsanto.
It does not make anything more real.
But it sure is funny to watch

I could say the same about Christianity though.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Consequently the millennial generation is the most educated generation ever and has one of the highest rates of atheism/agnosticism. I wonder if there is a correlation there...

You wonder if there's a correlation after saying "consequently". Progress
By the way, the millennial generation you refer to includes people outside of your country, who aren't affected by your religion in the same way, and millennial is a term based on the birth of Jesus calendar. Funny
Also, using the Roman alphabet but let's not get into that in this thread.. or just alittle bit
Roman alphabet is a pale imitation of the greek alpha beta which is only a way of not reading the actual aleph bet from the right side.

I could say the same about Christianity though.

What is the proportion of Christians changing faiths on their death beds vs darwinists?
Ask a nurse

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

You wonder if there's a correlation after saying "consequently". Progress
By the way, the millennial generation you refer to includes people outside of your country, who aren't affected by your religion in the same way, and millennial is a term based on the birth of Jesus calendar. Funny
Also, using the Roman alphabet but let's not get into that in this thread.. or just alittle bit
Roman alphabet is a pale imitation of the greek alpha beta which is only a way of not reading the actual aleph bet from the right side.

Not sure what the point of all of this was.

What is the proportion of Christians changing faiths on their death beds vs darwinists?
Ask a nurse

How about producing a study instead of asking one person? Not that it matters. As I already said, converting on your deathbed just shows fear of death (and possibly fear of whatever religion you are converting to). It isn't confirmation of the religion's authenticity.
edit on 31-3-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Not sure what the point of all of this was.

Eventually you'll grow surer of what the point is as soon as you'll try, based on your ability to write.
Take your time.

How about producing a study instead of asking one person? Not that it matters. As I already said, converting on your deathbed just shows fear of death (and possibly fear of whatever religion you are converting to). It isn't confirmation of the religion's authenticity.

You probably won't produce that study, but it sure would be swell. Look out for obstacles in publishing.
Asking any terminal spec nurse is not one specific person, and is easier.
It's no proof of authenticity, for sure.
Yet it can be a hint, as most anything can. Leave it for as long as you will.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

You probably won't produce that study

You're right I won't, but that's because I never made the claim in the first place. You did. So the onus is on you to produce the evidence not me.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

Well that 1 liner says more about you than the OP - saying there are 6 billion christians is a bit like saying there are 1 million cars, they may not all be moving at the same time although technically they are called cars. A meaningless descriptor

PS currently there are currently about 7.4 billion people on earth, wherever did you get such a ludicrous figure of 6 billion christians?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

You're right I won't, but that's because I never made the claim in the first place. You did. So the onus is on you to produce the evidence not me.

You mention a study, and burden of providing such a hypothetical construct falls on me in your mind?

I say people who spend time with the dying know this, you ask for a study, which I obviously won't bother with, and pointed out that you would not either.

I proposed a simple verifiable and reproducible experiment in asking a professional of one's choice, which of course will increase in accuracy with the number of respondents.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

You mention a study, and burden of providing such a hypothetical construct falls on me in your mind?

I mentioned that a study would be preferable evidence to talking to a nurse. I didn't specifically say that a study exists.

I say people who spend time with the dying know this, you ask for a study, which I obviously won't bother with, and pointed out that you would not either.

Well anecdotes aren't reliable as they can be tainted by someone's bias. I'm sure I'd get wildly different answers from a nurse who happened to be a fundamentalist Christians versus an agnostic/atheist one.

I proposed a simple verifiable and reproducible experiment in asking a professional of one's choice, which of course will increase in accuracy with the number of respondents.

That's not an experiment that would produce reliable results.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

That's not an experiment that would produce reliable results.

No statistics ever do, clearly.

Yet it is an experiment imagined in your mind, not mine. Unless you were referring to other means of "study" of the same topic, in which case I am interested in your approach.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Ask a nurse

Ahhhh, the God in Foxhole myth.

It's very annoying when someone talks all around something trying to be clever when they could just straight out say it.

No, atheists do not turn to God when near death.

Wishful thinking myth of the believer.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Feel free to call it a myth, surely some people die believing they'll reincarnate into an exploding monkey

But still I've seen too many to call it a myth myself

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Nobody thinks they're going to reincarnate into an exploding monkey. What a stupid analogy.

The only thing I'll be thinking on my deathbed or imminent death circumstances is "Well, I wonder what happens next? This life has been real, and it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun. Still, it's all I had....gotta go now, I guess."

edit on 3/31/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Nobody thinks they're going to reincarnate into an exploding monkey. What a stupid analogy. The only thing I'll be thinking on my deathbed or imminent death circumstances is "Well, I wonder what happens next? This life has been real, and it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun. Still, it's all I had....gotta go now, I guess."

You're not the center of my thoughts, fortunately.

Give me an hour with a public schooled television watcher and I'll have them sign in blood that they know for a fact science says they'll reincarnate into seven exploding monkeys.

Your aloof stance is commendable, and some will commend it, but calling my analogy stupid is not only superfluous, it denotes someone's feewings got hurt, so maybe they're not so aloof after all.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

you say there is evidence, but you don't deliver.

Care to share the evidence?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join