It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should any educated adult believe any of the stone age religions are anything but make believe?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: kushness

You say it doesn't matter either way.

But, your first sentence is accusation of bashing religion.

You took a side.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11

My perspective is

that all that post did

was demonstrate that you evidently know very little of what Dr Chuck Missler had to say.

Or, perhaps you know very little of the specific, detailed prophecies that ONLY Jesus fulfilled in all of history.

Ahhhhhh well . . . 'tis tradition to pontificate out of EMOTIONAL BELIEF vs out of facts.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: kushness

originally posted by: Justacasualobserver
a reply to: svetlana84

I believe that is why they say "the lord helps those who help themselves".. lol

I don't know why all of a sudden it became the norm to bash religions. If person A is using religion to become a better human being and person B does the same without any spiritual guidance, what does it matter to you which path they choose?

I'm not directing that at the users I quoted, its just a general question/comment.

It is not that easy to become a better person when we humans dont know what the moral code is.

The moral code is preceived differently depending on what physical and political values that drift a nation/society.

Take for Instant the US. The US thinks it's physical and political moral values should be inforced all over the world.

Wich man/woman would have such moral authority to make such a claim, that all other should Accept?

It becomes a problem when we all preceive ourselves as Equals With Equal rights.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven
Hatred, jealousy, resentment, violence, etc cause our minds and society at large to suffer and become agitated. Compassion, forgiveness, generosity, kindness etc calm the mind and generally benefit society at large. Why not exercise your mind, body and speech along the lines of compassion and generosity and then observe how your life unfolds from these sincere efforts? But just as if you wanted a strong body you must work out many hours a week, we cannot transform our experience without much effort either.

The Buddha taught that our experience unfolds exactly on how we manage our mind, body and speech in regard to others. Mostly our motivation is selfish. Our society today reflects selfish motivations on a grand scale. The Powers that Be know how to imprison with fear and manipulate selfish minds with bread and circus. Notice on how our Rulers dazzle us with an abundance of imagery for very rich foods and very dazzling and constant entertainment and distractions? (They know our potential more than we do and they work day and night to keep our minds in a selfish mode.) But compassionate minds are free and life is very simple to a compassionate being and has great meaning. They are not so troubled but the problems of the self not because they repress the 'self' but rather they begin to realize that the 'self' is not so solid as they once thought. The 'self' exists as Santa Clause exists. This is the religion of the Buddha.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

Well that 1 liner says more about you than the OP - saying there are 6 billion christians is a bit like saying there are 1 million cars, they may not all be moving at the same time although technically they are called cars. A meaningless descriptor

PS currently there are currently about 7.4 billion people on earth, wherever did you get such a ludicrous figure of 6 billion christians?
Lol, wow, I literally just read this. Allow me to now reveal something about yourself. I wasn't talking about just Christians genius, and neither was the OP. In fact, the one and only thing the OP said about Christians is...

I was a Christian and now I am agnostic.

I was replying to the main point behind the creation of the thread. Questioning the reality and rationality of... Are you ready for this? ...

any of the stone age religions

Hm... Suddenly a figure of 6 billion people who adhere to so-called "stone-age" religions isn't so ludicrous anymore.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist
Hm... Suddenly a figure of 6 billion people who adhere to so-called "stone-age" religions isn't so ludicrous anymore.

Actually it is. Hardly anybody follows stone age religions anymore they mostly follow bronze age religions. Yeah I know, silly technicality

Either way it means nothing as appeal to popularity is a fallacy. I don't care if 99.9999999% of people follow religions, it doesn't make them correct. Claiming that the majority of the world is religious seems to be a popular fallacy in which religious folks depend on. I'm not saying you are wrong or that you have claimed anything like that, just whoever made that point originally was using fallacious logic.
edit on 4 13 16 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

Actually it is. Hardly anybody follows stone age religions anymore they mostly follow bronze age religions

Where i am from religion seams to fallow Our modern way of life. That means religion is evolving With time to suit Our comfert zone. Religion and politics are very Close in many mordern countries.

Now, gays may marry in Norway. That was not possible before. We also might change some of the holly days do to them being out dated to suit Our workinghours and consumption demands.

But in the end it doesnt matter what beliefs we have as long as we fallow the Law, and are intigrated in the social structure of society. Our laws have authority over religious beleives.....period. 70 to 80% of the human population have to fallow Our man made laws before man made religion.

Maybe it aint religion that is Our bigest problem but Our man made laws.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: spy66

I'd argue that both are part of the problem, but that's just me.
edit on 4 13 16 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

I'd question what's the difference.

Even though America is suppose to be a secular government, its the Christian religion that's had a stranglehold on this country. We even have 2 Federal Holidays specific to Christianity.

Its only recently that there's been a push to remove power from Christianity.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
dp
edit on 13-4-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

Religion is very much about politics and man made laws. At least Our actions are.

ISIS recruit through religion, but conduct political terrorism to Reach a political goal. Their goal is to acheive a Islamic state and Islamic controll. This controll is not inforced by God, but by human preception of a specific religion (Islam).
This is a religion that is being inforced onto People by force....by terrorism. Terrorism is asossiated With mans need for Power (political controll). There is always a human idol on top of this pyramid. This idol dont even have to have faith or believe in a God, the importan thing is that the once they recuit have faith in the religion that they preach. They need loyal servants.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Text Is there one shred of evidence that is obvious and objective that anything in any of the stone age religions is true? I mean if the creator magical wizards are all powerful, they sure going out of there way to hide from modern man.

Yes there is one shred of evidence. That is that you as well as all of us are going to die and that it is not hidden from modern man. But then what makes you say that it is only stone age religion that is faulty? There are plenty of modern age religions to choose from also. So look into some of the modern age religions and maybe there is one out there for you. In true Christianity there are no magical wizards that I have ever known and maybe you got mixed up in some type of cult that called themselves Christian. Their are a lot of cults out there that are dumped into the name of Christian that are not Christian. Check it out and be happy.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seede

Text Is there one shred of evidence that is obvious and objective that anything in any of the stone age religions is true? I mean if the creator magical wizards are all powerful, they sure going out of there way to hide from modern man.

Yes there is one shred of evidence. That is that you as well as all of us are going to die and that it is not hidden from modern man.

I'm curious. How is that evidence for a god/creator/religion, though? Saying that everybody dies, is just stating the obvious. It's like saying that the sky being blue is evidence of god. It's not evidence of anything except that everybody dies. People and animals have been dying since long before any of those religions were invented.
edit on 4 21 16 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   
The majority of extant religions are, without doubt, constructions of primitive men trying desperately to beat back the hopeless inevitability of death. But it would be foolish to believe that reality precludes the existence of higher beings.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

People and animals have been dying since long before any of those religions were invented.

But how do you know that for a fact? You would have to know when religion started and to know that you would know who invented religion. You don't know anything except that you will one day die and that is all that any of us knows. That is the only thing that most religions can even agree on. Almost all religions are based upon this very principal of death or an afterlife of some sort. The Hebrew concept of Adam was in itself the start of a religion. As he lived 930 years he had hundreds of descendants who then invented their own concept of religion. That is if this Adam was truly as he is said to have been. But where did it all start? No one truly knows where it all started.

If you took the death clause out of the picture, that would probably eliminate almost all religions, or so it seems to me. So what I am saying is that the only evidence is death. That is about the only thing that is not hidden from all people. Other than death I can't think of any accepted evidence that is not hidden from people.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Seede

I based it on the scientific experts that have studied such things in depth.

Millions of prehistoric species went extinct LONG before humans first appeared on the planet. That means they were indeed dead. An extraordinary claim like that requires evidence. Without death, the history of life on the planet makes no sense from a biological perspective.
edit on 4 22 16 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

oh you said to Xeven.....

Because you're so much wiser than over 6 billion other people.

how many religions were there in the Stone ages and more importantly where did you get such facts from?

so are you suggesting that he isn't wiser than any of those 6 billion people?

Argumentum ad populum?

carry on...ho hum

<< 16  17  18   >>

join