It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should any educated adult believe any of the stone age religions are anything but make believe?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Is there one shred of evidence that is obvious and objective that anything in any of the stone age religions is true?

No, not a shred of evidence, but people are afraid of being shunned and afraid of taking responsibility, and thinking, for that matter, they want someone to tell them exactly what to do and when to do it.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
There are of course great mysteries of the universe, and questions that to this day make us wonder.
on a personal note, many people, even rational minded skeptics, experience in times of their lives some events ranging from subtle to absolutely profound that makes one question their own sanity and the nature of reality (ghost stories, encounters, etc).

Religion is the process of taking all of the above mentioned and giving neat little answers, but also it removes the seeking aspects of those questions and observations..it removes it from you
it literally removes your thinking..it removes your..."spirituality" and keeps it, then you are allowed visitation rights to what was yours to begin with.

Religion is at best a waste of time that takes your personal quests and connections with something potentially greater. religion is a thief of your mind.

Some people need religion..or rather, structure. to those people who use religion for self improvement, I will gladly drive you to church every sunday..if it helps, brilliant. The issue is always when people decide to take their religion and force their "help" on to society by their standards.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Great question. I'm glad you brought it up. I too was a Christian for over 10 years. The more I read the bible the more confused I became. Instead of having answers reading the bible only lead to more questions. I am now agnostic as well and I am 100% sure that the bible was not written by a supreme being. It endorses slavery, endorses rape, endorses mass killings of men women and children based on trivial rules. That isn't something a supreme being would do. It amazes me that anyone could read the entire book and believe that it's true. It defies all logic and reason. And it is dangerous. True empirical studies show that non religious countries have lower crime rates, better economies and better overall health and happiness.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Because to believe man is the supreme intelligence in existence, is
really stupid. And to believe the human wasn't designed and created
is also stupid and a little odd as well. Don't need evidence for everything in
life. Somethings are obvious without the kind of evidence you think so
highly of.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

More like to believe the bible is the "word of God" is really stupid. Since you brought the stupid word up. Believing in walking on water is stupid. Believing God gives a crap about circumcision is stupid. Not believing in evolution is stupid. Believing in a worldwide flood is stupid. Believing in a talking donkey is stupid. Believing that God would cleanse our sins by sacrificing himself is stupid. Need I go on Randyvs?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

my view of religion? Og the caveman went out and stoned a deer to death.That night,as Og BBQ'd the deer,a thunderstorm rolled in,lightning strikes Og and killed him.The rest of the cavemen assumed the sky god was mad at Og for killing a deer,so therefore they all worshipped deer and became vegans. Adapt to your local situation.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I have been educated.

That the universe spontaneously created time and matter, along with trillions of other universes, in less than a nano second.

That 95%, or so, of the universe is made of dark matter and dark energy, and we don't know what these things are, we can only attach a name to them.

That life spontaneously created itself.

That somehow DNA, wrote its own incredibly complex programming code for all living organisms.

That saying certain words are bad, but engaging in behavior that unnecessarily spreads disease and kills people is ok.

That terminating the unborn is good and right.

That I am a fool, for believing that I will see my friend, alive again, shake his hand, and not have to watch his young widow, shed tears, for her dead husband.

Yes, I certainly am, an educated adult.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I was a Christian and now I am agnostic

Now that you have started to think for yourself you should now realize that you shouldn't look for a sanctuary in anyone else except your self. Now you have to work out what your self is.
edit on 29-3-2016 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: blkcwbyhat

That's a pretty accurate portrayal. I believe the tribes from the bible had to make a God up to justify their perils and triumphs. If we are prospering God must be happy with us. If we are perishing God must be angry with us. There is a drought it must be God is angry. They had no knowledge of weather and science and disease. So if bad things happened it was because God was mad at them for not worshipping right.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84

For some reason (boredom) i watched several debates of Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins in the last days. Both of them brilliant speakers and rational atheists.

Richard Dawkins stated that he felt children with Down's Syndrome should be aborted.

Dawkins also downplayed pedophilia.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

Because to believe man is the supreme intelligence in existence, is
really stupid. And to believe the human wasn't designed and created
is also stupid and a little odd as well. Don't need evidence for everything in
life. Somethings are obvious without the kind of evidence you think so
highly of.

Even if I agreed with you. That doesn't equate to any one religion being "right". It would simply mean there's an intelligence behind what exists.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

If you don't mind me asking, what was it specifically that made you decide being a christian was no longer worthwhile?
edit on 29-3-2016 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11
a reply to: randyvs

More like to believe the bible is the "word of God" is really stupid. Since you brought the stupid word up. Believing in walking on water is stupid. Believing God gives a crap about circumcision is stupid. Not believing in evolution is stupid. Believing in a worldwide flood is stupid. Believing in a talking donkey is stupid. Believing that God would cleanse our sins by sacrificing himself is stupid. Need I go on Randyvs?

So lets agree that we 're both correct?
edit on Rpm32916v48201600000027 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

No, not a shred of evidence

Except a finely tuned universe, which down to the smallest atom, is a symbiotic structure, that happens to support life.

Oh, but I forgot, that very recently in the history of time, atheists in science, have skirted away the entire universe, and all that exists in it, claiming it for itself.

We forget that atheists and scientists did not create the universe, they only describe it.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Even if I agreed with you. That doesn't equate to any one religion being "right". It would simply mean there's an intelligence behind what exists.

A much HIGHER intelligence.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AudioOne
a reply to: Matrixsurvivor

Ive had powerful experiences within Islam and Christianity and Buddhism.

Yes. We are energy. When we congregate the energy increases creating a feeling of euphoria.

Same thing at sports events. All energy focused on the same thing.

Doesn't matter what belief or group focus. It's the energy coming together.

And even when you think you're alone, you still plug into that energy.
edit on 29-3-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Good point. Sporting event. Concert. You feel that buzz.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Good point. Sporting event. Concert. You feel that buzz.

Absolutely!

Same thing.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Probably why I used to think I felt the holy spirit in church. All the music and people.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Probably why I used to think I felt the holy spirit in church. All the music and people.

Right. I know the feeling.

But, it's not God. It's actually us.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join