It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should any educated adult believe any of the stone age religions are anything but make believe?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: Xeven

Because to believe man is the supreme intelligence in existence, is
really stupid. And to believe the human wasn't designed and created
is also stupid and a little odd as well. Don't need evidence for everything in
life. Somethings are obvious without the kind of evidence you think so
highly of.

Nobody said humans are the smartest in the universe. That said, many of us are still smart enough to conduct an intelligent and honest investigation. Your refusal to accept the results is irrelevant.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: wisvol
a reply to: Annee

Feel free to call it a myth, surely some people die believing they'll reincarnate into an exploding monkey

But still I've seen too many to call it a myth myself

I believe you believe (or create the illusion) a true atheist turns to God on their deathbed.

Did Christopher Hitchens really convert on his deathbed? While I would love to hear that he came to know Christ before he died, the answer is: No, he almost certainly did not have a “deathbed conversion.” Of course, no one can know what he may have thought in his private moments, but he has been very consistent about his views on God–even until his last days.

The reason I even mention deathbed conversion is because when this news broke, many of the atheists on a forum were saying, “Now all the Christians will spread lies saying he had a deathbed conversion.”

www.revelation.co...

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I hope for Cristopher Hitchens, that he went in his style:

A glass of a 40 year old whiskey in one hand and a fine cuban cigar in the other hand.

Besides on the topic of deathbed: There are roughly 2000 different religions around.
A lot of these are polytheist. Which means there are way more than 2000 possible gods out there.

But most of the religions say: this our god(s) and there are none other.
So the probabilty to choose the 'right one' is way less than 1:2000

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: svetlana84

I hope for Cristopher Hitchens, that he went in his style:

A glass of a 40 year old whiskey in one hand and a fine cuban cigar in the other hand.

Besides on the topic of deathbed: There are roughly 2000 different religions around.
A lot of these are polytheist. Which means there are way more than 2000 possible gods out there.

But most of the religions say: this our god(s) and there are none other.
So the probabilty to choose the 'right one' is way less than 1:2000

I'm a Spiritual Atheist.

That really confuses them.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: wisvol
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Nobody thinks they're going to reincarnate into an exploding monkey. What a stupid analogy. The only thing I'll be thinking on my deathbed or imminent death circumstances is "Well, I wonder what happens next? This life has been real, and it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun. Still, it's all I had....gotta go now, I guess."

You're not the center of my thoughts, fortunately.

Give me an hour with a public schooled television watcher and I'll have them sign in blood that they know for a fact science says they'll reincarnate into seven exploding monkeys.

Your aloof stance is commendable, and some will commend it, but calling my analogy stupid is not only superfluous, it denotes someone's feewings got hurt, so maybe they're not so aloof after all.

I have a couple candidates for your experienent. More importantly I know public schooled Christians who believe the bible is literal which is more astounding than being reincarnated as an exploding monkey.

In fact reincarnation in general makes much more sense than having one life and then eternity in heaven or hell.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I believe in God but no religions. Spiritual in nature more Zen and Buddhist than anything. But not quite a Buddhist. I also believe in reincarnation and an afterlife but don't really know much about it or how it should work. I don't think anyone knows. My life experiences have led me to this belief system. I'm not a big fan of all the laws and rules and hate that man puts in his religious texts.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I believe in God but no religions. Spiritual in nature more Zen and Buddhist than anything. But not quite a Buddhist. I also believe in reincarnation and an afterlife but don't really know much about it or how it should work. I don't think anyone knows. My life experiences have led me to this belief system. I'm not a big fan of all the laws and rules and hate that man puts in his religious texts.

And that's me, too --- thanks for the clear and succinct explanation. There are folks out here in cyber-land (you and I and others) that feel this way. It's always great to find a like-minded person.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I'm a Spiritual Atheist.

Me, too - lately......

Used to call myself Agnostic, but I think it makes more sense to say "Spiritual Atheist" - it encompasses the fact of universal/cosmic consciousness and connection of all things to the Divine, without having to rely on some "God" guy.....

it is what it is. We are all connected. There is no "God" overlord...there is just the universe, and our souls are the same as stardust and matter and energy......all of which are never "extinguished."

Have a great night, Annee. I'm glad to have met you.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Nobody said humans are the smartest in the universe. That said, many of us are still smart enough to conduct an intelligent and honest investigation. Your refusal to accept the results is irrelevant.

Your investigation as you call it. Is nothing more than the biased
result by protocol, in the search for a believable lie that people
like yourself are all to willing to fornicate with. You are a child to
the father of lies. And the lies that fill your mouth, are your only
inheritance. You don't even understand why there must be a God,
let alone, why he must be holy. I feel sorry for you.

edit on Rpm33116v24201600000044 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No one said this. Nor is anyone saying it. Especially not agnostics.

Well if there is no God the choices for supreme intelligence aren't many are they?

I await for your next reply with great eagerness.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

What evidence is there of a holy God ? The bible shows that God is neither holy nor benevolent of his supposed creation. It shows an angry and jealous God. A God who makes mistakes. A God who punishes things which most people know aren't bad with death sentences. And then in his final act of holiness he punishes most of humanity with enternal torment. I will never worship such a horrible being.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Why would there need to be a "supreme intellegence"? I say this as a hard polytheist (this means I acknowledge all gods exist, that they are unique (so Odin is not Zeus is not Lugus etc) but none are supreme). I can believe in deity, but not need an over deity.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Here is my story about why I think you are wrong or mistaken, but it is of course your choice.

I was baptized at age 12, which means I became a new addition to God's family then, not really quite understanding the seriousness or "realness" of this at that time.
I mention this because it is why I was later in life punished for being a poor and undedicated Christian, and the Lord brought me before him in the spirit during the day while fully awake to tell me it was time to consider my life and the life I was living, or be taken to that other place permanently.

All this has nothing to do with me being anyone special because no one is above another on a spiritual level. But because when you are a member of the family and you do wrong continually, your parent, so to speak, will punish you and try to correct you and get you straightened out. Just like any parent should want to do with their child.

I experienced this for real, and I was also made to see demons and the things they are allowed to do, to give me an understanding of what life is really about, and why it is all happening. It is all a huge test of choices and consequences!

Sometimes the consequences will not be discovered until AFTER your body dies.

These things are all about individual experience and choices, and this is my true testimony, and I am not saying anyone has to believe it, but it is true. I now try to measure everything I do based upon the choice and the consequences to others, and now understand that if I selfishly make the wrong choice, that it can affect many people and leave a wake of evil in it's path that I could be accountable for later. None of it means I am special or better than the next person. I can feel the Lord nearby all the time now, and I think and consider everything before do things, (sometimes not so much being human).

This life goes by in an instant, and I choose not to ignore the fate of others, so that I won't make the same mistake.

It is all anyone's choice to believe or not, but it isn't only Faith based, it can become a proven fact, but only on an individual basis. No one can prove it is true, but you can discover by choice that it is, and was all true, if that is what a person chooses to do, by seeking it out, and shedding the haughty and arrogant instincts that everyone has waiting within them to apply to everything, or the much more difficult path of seeking out a better attitude and an unbiased one of self discovery using humility and patience.

I know for a fact that God is real, and Christ is real and exists for real right now, but I can't prove that, but it isn't my job to prove it, it is everyone's job (who wishes to) to prove it to themselves, or not to do so.

I have seen powerful demons, and the devil too, and he hates my guts. I have seen his hatred with my own eyes. He is the expert at deception though, and I reject everything he does, but it isn't always easy to see those temptations coming ahead of time.
edit on 31-3-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I'm a Spiritual Atheist.

Me, too - lately......

Used to call myself Agnostic, but I think it makes more sense to say "Spiritual Atheist" - it encompasses the fact of universal/cosmic consciousness and connection of all things to the Divine, without having to rely on some "God" guy.....

it is what it is. We are all connected. There is no "God" overlord...there is just the universe, and our souls are the same as stardust and matter and energy......all of which are never "extinguished."

Have a great night, Annee. I'm glad to have met you.

YES!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Do you live like Constantine or the brothers in supernatural? Because I'd love to accompany you on some hunts if that's the case.
edit on 31-3-2016 by BigScaryStrawman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigScaryStrawman
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Do you live like Constantine or the brothers in supernatural? Because I'd love to accompany you on some hunts if that's the case.

I don't know those guys, but I will say that my path is a very difficult one since my wife has given me a permanent hall pass, and I am a verey good looking guy, and get hit on all the time, but I still haven't cheated on my wife. I am not sure I can say no to all those young hotties though. I am being tested, and it isn't much fun trying to stay away from adultery. The evil ones are pushing those hot young women in my path constantly, can I make it?

I know if I do it I could be in real trouble.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BigScaryStrawman

Ghost hunts you mean?

I haven't had to face off with any real bad spirits lately since I seem to have protection, but that wasn't always the case, and I have been touched and pushed by human spirits and laughed at them for thinking they could scare me.

I have had rocks thrown at me and been yanked all the way off the bed when I was younger, but laughed at them then as well. I have always known ghosts were real, and have never been afraid, but I do not wish to go up against non human spirits. Those things are truly horrifying if one isn't prepared, and I would just as soon not experience them, but II will do what I have to do if the situation happens in the future.

I was just trying to be funny earlier.. I'm just as fallible as anyone and the same as anyone. Everything is a choice, and even with greater knowledge and wisdom, those choices are still just as hard to make as someone who does anything they wish.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11

What evidence is there of a holy God ? The bible shows that God is neither holy nor benevolent of his supposed creation. It shows an angry and jealous God. A God who makes mistakes. A God who punishes things which most people know aren't bad with death sentences. And then in his final act of holiness he punishes most of humanity with enternal torment. I will never worship such a horrible being.

That sounds like a narrative coming straight from the mouth of Satan. I suppose if that is what you want to believe you are free to. I would be mad if I were you, but you are mad at the wrong one.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

No one said this. Nor is anyone saying it. Especially not agnostics.

Well if there is no God the choices for supreme intelligence aren't many are they?

I await for your next reply with great eagerness.

Can't say. I don't know all the possibilities of existence. I can only talk about what I do know.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
the thread asks: Why should any educated adult believe any of the stone age religions are anything but make believe?

because, the historic record details that primitive peoples in remote places, upon being discovered by explorers, anthropologists and other social scientists.... ALL the isolated peoples, tribes, pockets of civilization they discovered had some form of primitive religion with either a force or god or totem at the apex of their paganism/religion/superstition.

religion, in some form, is a factor in being a human (a social animal)
edit on st30145951080901402016 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join