It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should any educated adult believe any of the stone age religions are anything but make believe?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

I know if I do it I could be in real trouble.

I understand. Girls are tempting when they're playful and young, especially when they dress like the latest television star and wear elaborate perfumes.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

And even women who pretend to be girls.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: TzarChasm

Nobody said humans are the smartest in the universe. That said, many of us are still smart enough to conduct an intelligent and honest investigation. Your refusal to accept the results is irrelevant.

Your investigation as you call it. Is nothing more than the biased
result by protocol, in the search for a believable lie that people
like yourself are all to willing to fornicate with. You are a child to
the father of lies. And the lies that fill your mouth, are your only
inheritance. You don't even understand why there must be a God,
let alone, why he must be holy. I feel sorry for you.

Mr devious, this thread isnt about me. More to the point, there is actually a website dedicated to investigation of evolution, courtesy of ghost147. Not a single thing on it indicates supernatural influence of any kind, although you are welcome to point it out. And you are right, I will inherit no more for my passing than the pharaos and Caesars did in their time. Hailed as Kings, all of them, even as gods, but they all fit in the same hole in the ground.
edit on 1-4-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It's all just a cycle. Egyptian mythology was at one point believed by all people in the area and thought of as true. In modern times we look back at it and say, "Oh it was obviously myth because it's not realistic and the stories sound silly". Same thing happened with Greek gods, Roman gods, etc. Each system was believed by its followers and taken seriously, but now they are all scoffed at as obvious myths.

Part of me wonders if that is part of the conspiracy of monotheism when it took over the religious views for most cultures. They began portraying paganism / polytheism as absolutely absurd and it's still thought of that way today by most, but the true scam is that Christianity is just as unrealistic and the concept of 1 god only raises tons of questions about the said god's origin. Polytheism actually makes way more sense when all is said and done, but people today are taught that god is a single eternal entity that just happened to always exist, but offer no explanation of how such a thing can even happen.

Are modern religions any different or more realistic than the older gods? If you look at Christianity from the outside, it also has very many unrealistic concepts. God creates the earth and man in 7 days. Catholics believe in transubstantiation which means the holy communion is more than just a symbol or representation of the last supper, it is the literal body and blood of Jesus. That is downright disgusting, but when you are part of it (as I was for the first half of my life) it seems normal. But looking at it from the outside, it's like "what in the hell was I thinking?"

The truth of the matter is that in all likelihood Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc will all be gone in 2000 years and replaced by something else, likely something more realistic that involves science rather than just personal faith. As a society we are getting more intelligent and our knowledge from decade to decade increases very fast (unless you're a science denying YECer). It's only a matter of time before these archaic belief systems go down in the archives of history as simply mythology that humans have gotten wrong, just like all belief systems of the past.

Faith in the unknown will probably never go away until science gets us to the point that we understand almost everything in the universe (long way to go), but organized religion is already on borrowed time, not only because it's completely based on faith and unproven, but also because it directly contradicts what empirical testing has directly confirmed about reality.

Believe in whatever you want, I have no problem with it. Just don't tell other people they are wrong or attack scientific disciplines because of something you blindly believe. If most religious folks followed that simple philosophy (do unto others), there wouldn't be so much conflict in the world, but these monotheistic belief systems exclusively teach that their way is the ONLY way, and all others are wrong and destined for eternal torture. That is the problem with bronze age religions. It's time to upgrade to something more realistic. When I first heard of Scientology I was excited, but then I found out it has absolutely zero to do with science.
edit on 4 1 16 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11
...And then in his final act of holiness he punishes most of humanity with enternal torment. I will never worship such a horrible being.

Not to derail but I just wanted to remind you that the way you have learned to think about these subjects (not just what you mentioned, but also regarding philosophical naturalism) shares or has a path to the same people who promoted:

Myth 2: The Wicked Suffer in Hell

Allthough the names of those involved differ from exact subject to subject, for which I will quote wikipedia to show the path or connection between these people's way of thinking and influence on eachother, you can check out what is discussed about Aristotle and Pythagoras in the video further below (for which I can't give you any guarantees regarding its accuracy knowing its source, you'll have to figure that out yourself).

From wikipedia on the page for Plato:

Pythagoras, or in a broader sense, the Pythagoreans, allegedly exercised an important influence on the work of Plato. According to R. M. Hare, this influence consists of three points: (1)... (2) ... (3) Plato and Pythagoras shared a "mystical approach to the soul and its place in the material world". It is probable that both were influenced by Orphism.[38][39]

Aristotle claimed that the philosophy of Plato closely followed the teachings of the Pythagoreans,[40] and Cicero repeats this claim: "They say Plato learned all things Pythagorean"

Aristotle and Pythagoras are mentioned around 6 minutes, 18:30 and 25 minutes and Plato after 28 minutes in this video:

Oh btw, Ecclesiastes 1:9 (NW):

What has been is what will be,
And what has been done will be done again;
There is nothing new under the sun.

edit on 1-4-2016 by whereislogic because: addition

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Our Ancients 'religion' was triptych.

The three is in one the one is in three.

Here is a site with lots of information about triptych.

How it works is this. Three doors 2 1 3 .... Door 1 is the middle door. Door 2 and 3 are positive and negative. The idea is you go into the temple, the temple of knowledge and you learn. AS you go threw the door you leave the void and enter into enlightenment. Then when you leave the temple threw the same No1 door you now exist enlightened.

I have spoke at length with Mr Cassaro about this and he and I both agree.

I hope it helps.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm not 100% against the idea of a god or creator. I do however know that the God of the "holy bible" isn't the type of God that I would worship. He personally has ordered the mass slaughters of millions of his own creation. He allows slavery. He condones rape of unwed women in the old testament. He condemns two people of the same sex having a loving relationship. He doesn't show his presence to everyone yet wants everyone to worship him, and if they don't then its an eternity in hell or annihilation in the lake of fire depending on which doctrine you subscribe to.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic

...And then in his final act of holiness he punishes most of humanity with enternal torment. I will never worship such a horrible being.

Not to derail but I just wanted to remind you that the way you have learned to think about these subjects (not just what you mentioned, but also regarding philosophical naturalism) shares a path to the same people who promoted:

Myth 2: The Wicked Suffer in Hell

Allthough the names of those involved differ from exact subject to subject, for which I will quote wikipedia to show the path or connection between these people's way of thinking and influence on eachother, you can check out what is discussed about Aristotle and Pythagoras in the video further below (for which I can't give you any guarantees regarding its accuracy knowing its source, you'll have to figure that out yourself).

From wikipedia on the page for Plato:

Pythagoras, or in a broader sense, the Pythagoreans, allegedly exercised an important influence on the work of Plato. According to R. M. Hare, this influence consists of three points: (1)... (2) ... (3) Plato and Pythagoras shared a "mystical approach to the soul and its place in the material world". It is probable that both were influenced by Orphism.[38][39]

Aristotle claimed that the philosophy of Plato closely followed the teachings of the Pythagoreans,[40] and Cicero repeats this claim: "They say Plato learned all things Pythagorean"

Aristotle and Pythagoras are mentioned around 6 minutes, 18:30 and 25 minutes in this video:

Some scripture talks about hell and other scriptures paint a different picture. Typical of a book written by men who make mistakes. Also the JW have a great track record with their end of days prediction s.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Randy, sweetie. I have a question which you are (obviously) perfectly free to ignore (or respond to).....

what is your worst fear if it turns out that there isn't a "Jesus-God" after all? What is it that keeps you so staunchly dedicated to what many call a myth, a superstition, a conspiracy based on shame, self-loathing, and control?

What if they prove, somehow, that there was no "Jesus Christ", or that if a guy did exist named Jesus at that time he didn't "rise from the dead", and didn't "walk on water," etc.

Would you still carry on believing? Why, hun, is it so imperative for you to still believe?

(Remember, I'm an agnostic....not trying to mock or denigrate you. I like you, a lot.) But, since we won't really know until we die (and in the case of there being "nothing" we won't' have any hindsight upon which to speculate), what scares you the most about the possibility that it just "ends"?

It's scary for me, too - but I feel like I need to face the possibility. Then again, if there's just "nothing", I won't know the difference, so.....
why do you keep hanging on to the unproven possibility? Personally, I believe in an afterlife. I just don't necessarily believe there is a "Jesus" guy waiting in the wings.

edit on 4/1/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

That's a JW site. Are you an adherent of the Jehovah's Witnesses theory?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

That's a JW site. Are you an adherent of the Jehovah's Witnesses theory?

That reminds me, I need to brush up on my religions. I just realized that I have no idea what Jehovah's Witnesses believe. I have a huge book on Buddha, I'm getting ready to read though. "Old Path White Clouds" By Thich Nhat Hanh. Or I may just convert to Scientology. I want to be cool like Tom Cruise.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11

Perhaps you could honor this thread with something (I don't know, an answer, a thought, a response, a view) regarding the question asked at 44:30 in the video (remember that this question is based on the previously shared information, so I don't know if you want to just ignore that because it's too long, or skim through it or something, but at this point, I'd be happy with just anything that responds to something I've linked, It would be even better if I got the idea someone gave it more than 3 seconds of their thought before making a comment in response to my comment where I'm hoping I'm not putting in links for nothing).
edit on 1-4-2016 by whereislogic because: spelling error

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I'm not sure what you are trying to infer ? Are you staying that my line of thinking has something to do with Plato, Pythagoras? This thread is about why people still believe in religions when we NOW have ample evidence on the contrary. I have made points in this thread regarding the bibles inaccuracy.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I like you as well Buzzy. to answer your question
(

what scares you the most about the possibility that it just "ends"?
)

Absolutely nothing. It doesn't even concern me. What I do ponder often tho,
my fellow member, is how many atheists are mortified by the possibility that
there is a God. Because I'm convinced and that's what scares the crap out of me.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Because they FEEL like doing so.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

. . .is how many atheists are mortified by the possibility that
there is a God. Because I'm convinced and that's what scares the crap out of me.

Any true atheist will also claim agnostic.

The real meaning of agnostic is: "God can not be proven or dis-proven".

No true atheist will state there is no God. Because it can not be proven.

If there is, there is. If there isn't, there isn't.

There could be something else.

edit on 3-4-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm not 100% against the idea of a god or creator. I do however know that the God of the "holy bible" isn't the type of God that I would worship. He personally has ordered the mass slaughters of millions of his own creation. He allows slavery. He condones rape of unwed women in the old testament. He condemns two people of the same sex having a loving relationship. He doesn't show his presence to everyone yet wants everyone to worship him, and if they don't then its an eternity in hell or annihilation in the lake of fire depending on which doctrine you subscribe to.

Bull sht
God doesn't "allow" anything, only people do that. Nothing you said is anywhere near being true, and all you are doing is proclaiming that you love immorality. So be it.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven
Hey I would not worry about it. Unless you know pitchforks and all that. Plenty of new age religions now a days, if your bored of the old have you tried some of them new ones? Plenty of them to chose from out there. Say like how about being a democrat or one of them republican?

Or if your feeling really giddy you can be a trump supporter, even seen an article some years ago were some people erected a 10 or so feet statue of one of there God's, one called Ronald Regan or something, even had a book oh they should live and dictate and such. It was best seller as well read by hundreds of thousands if not millions ya know. And as many more lives have been shaped by it. Funny that no?

Religious people are everywhere you know, not just the man in the sky variety. It just may be the human condition even though its more conditioning of humans, either way does it matter? Religion is merely that thing which one believes in, but does not really know why they believe in it, cant formulate a thorough or logical answer, to all or many of there believes, but they believe in it anyways.

If so then basically religion is just a form of cognitive dissonance, albeit on a group scale. As such it just may be normal going on, as cognitive dissonance is a normal behavior in both individuals and groups. Now maybe they should ask themselves why is it that anybody should believe anything unconditionally most especially when all of history and observable fact has shown that all things believed unconditionally in the past have shown to be suspect to change?

But hey! The word itself "unconditionally" maybe be a misnomer as there may be no such thing as "un-conditional" in all of human existence or nature, or nurture, everything has shown itself to be purely conditional. So one can not believe anything unconditionally, that is merely just a brainfart and stupid way of expressing something which means absolutely nothing at all. As a believe any believe that was not first conditioned by some way, or means, has yet to have existed on this planet, or plane of existence.

edit on 1amSundayam032016f0amSun, 03 Apr 2016 01:08:35 -0500 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

And that's fair enough for me Annee.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Matrixsurvivor

I was a Christian, too....for the past 25 years. Now, I'm totally disgusted with all of it. I've had some intense spiritual encounters with "God"....and even many spiritual battles (demons, etc). But, a few years ago, I started digging into Paul (Saul of Tarsus) and realized he was a false apostle. Long story there, but suffice it to say....he NEVER sat right with me. I was filled with the Holy Spirit and was shown right off the bat that the things Paul taught, totally contradicted with Jesus' teachings. That led me to turn to the Torah....which then led me to do the feasts, which then had God (the true one) show me He never wanted animal sacrifice, or us to kill and eat them. So, now I sit and wonder....what the hell? I'm totally discombobulated with all organized religion and even "god" now. I believe there is "something" more...something "good". But, when I look around at this world and all it's suffering, evil, things surviving off of eating other things, it makes me wonder, "WHO made this world???" It's so messed up! How could a "good, loving, creator" make this mess? And don't throw the Adam and Eve, Paul crap at me. I've been there, done that. Spent years researching all of these questions I have. It's all BS.

Very interesting post. Was drawn to your post because of what you said about Saul/Paul in that he was a false prophet. That startled me because I never though of Saul/Paul as being a prophet. In fact i then remembered that several people here on ATS have made the same remark but never really thought that much about it. Now I realize that you have covered a lot of ground here in your post but lets take one at a time in order not to create a confusing topic.

I have to ask you just what is the main concern with your hating Saul/Paul? Not a whole bunch of reasons but simply one at a time so that we can discuss them biblically.

You said - Quote "Long story there, but suffice it to say....he NEVER sat right with me. I was filled with the Holy Spirit and was shown right off the bat that the things Paul taught, totally contradicted with Jesus' teachings." Unquote

Acts 13:9-10
(9) But Saul, who is also Paul, being filled with the Holy Spirit, and looking intently on him,
(10) he said, O son of the devil, full of all guile and of all cunning, hostile to all righteousness, will you not stop perverting the right ways of the Lord?

Now here I have read two accounts . One from you and one from the Apostle Luke. The Apostle of Jesus says that Paul was filled with the Holy Spirit.

You have said that you also were filled with the Holy Spirit of God and while filled with the Holy Spirit of God was shown by the very same Holy Spirit that Luke was a liar. Your Holy Spirit must have been different than the Holy Spirit of Luke or are you now saying that God is the liar? You realize that there is only one Holy Spirit of the Creator and that Holy Spirit is from the Spirit of God Himself? So either God, through Luke, is a liar or ---?

Now Luke says that Paul was filled with the Holy Spirit of the God of Jesus. If Paul was filled with the same spirit as was Jesus then please show me your chief accusation that Paul contradicted Jesus; teachings. Just one. Not a whole gang of accusations but the chief accusation that you have with Paul against the doctrine of Jesus. Lets discuss them one at a time in a civil manner.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join