It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is really getting ridiculous: Special Snowflake Syndrome

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20523618]Gryphon
Please. This is personal for me. Personal experience. I don't have the data to spew to you but I speak with common knowledge in Atlanta and in the world of academia here. Emory, as you spoke yourself, is not particularly nor plurally American.
Staying within the subject, it is surprising that anyone really cares what these spoiled un-American students think. They won't be voting nor staying in the US to share their "knowledge" and skills for the betterment of our country. Pish-posh-water down the sidewalks and move on. The don't deserve this publicity.

We southerners don't give them the time of day anymore. Shocking it even shows up here on ATS.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I am honestly surprised that they didn't pull the "hate crime" card as well.

Universities no longer educate. They indoctrinate.

How many students across this country are forbidden by their schools to talk openly about the U.S. Constitution, with the exception of tiny "freedom of speech" areas provided?

The post above is absolute rubbish. Students can speak openly about anything they like, as can we all.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. These student's were offended by some political BS at their school. The OP posted this here, appearing to be offended that the students were offended. This comes across to me more as a personal insecurity. Don't you guys have anything to do than complain about some whiny brats? The vitriolic language on here. These student's are not your children. The harsher you scrutinize the "sensitive snowflakes" in question, the more you widen that gap between you and them.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
www.snopes.com...

Deny ignorance.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix

originally posted by: Greggers
And every generation of older folks always looks at the next generation as weak and stupid --because, let's face it, they ARE until they've had some real experience.

And that is why the voting age should be at least 30 years. Gota weed out the whiny brats who just want "free" stuff or "change" without having the sense to foresee the consequences of said "change" or the cost of the "free" stuff.

Meh. I could just as easily make the same claim with an anti-Republican slant. It's not about politics. It's about kids being as short-sighted as they've always been, regardless of their ideology.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

And there you have it. The story is mostly BS.

Again, one has to ask themselves why stories like this get passed around. Hint: it doesn't have anything to do with the special snowflakes.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
If this story offends you, then you're just as sensitive as the student's in question! :p

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
www.snopes.com...

Deny ignorance.

Yup! Glad I used the Emory University article which Snopes verifies in whole as the grounds for this thread!

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: gwynnhwyfar

originally posted by: madmac5150
I am honestly surprised that they didn't pull the "hate crime" card as well.

Universities no longer educate. They indoctrinate.

How many students across this country are forbidden by their schools to talk openly about the U.S. Constitution, with the exception of tiny "freedom of speech" areas provided?

The post above is absolute rubbish. Students can speak openly about anything they like, as can we all.

Yeah, right... I hope you are happy and comfortable there in your perfect little world.

If you are deluded enough to actually believe that all Universities are bastions of "free speech"... then you either overdosed on the Kool-Ade, or you are a college administrator.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Seriously ?!

That's what you think is flushing your country down the toilet ?!

Not the:

- too big to fail banksters ?
- corporate-bought self-interest politicians ?
- budget deficits ?
- failing public education system ?
- jobs shipping overseas ?
- government overspending ?

Hahahahaha, did you just come out of a coma and start watching TV news recordings from 1985 ??!?!?!?!?

Those are 30 year old problems darling. The safe spaces snowflakes are a much more current disease.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

Not really.

This is merely a manifestation of a trend that started when I was a kid. Awards for participation. Soccer games where no score was kept so feeling weren't hurt...can't play tag or dodge ball anymore...those things and others like 'em aren't all that recent.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Except:

WHAT'S TRUE: Students at Emory University gathered in protest after pro-Trump graffiti appeared overnight; administrators investigated the graffiti as it appeared outside designated areas for chalk markings.

WHAT'S FALSE: Counseling was offered to or demanded by anyone; students complained their "safe spaces" were violated; students were afraid or traumatized, not angry or protesting.

snopes

Which the false part was the point of your OP, wasn't it?
edit on 3/25/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The Snopes article is VERY SPECIFIC in what it denies ... that being claims that these kids sought or were offered counseling or compained that their "safe spaces" were violated.

The article does not deny that 40 or so Emory students demanded and received an audience with President Wagner, that their only claims were that they were tremendously upset and traumatized by simple messages in support of Trump's campaign (Mostly, as seen "Trump 2016.")

Yesterday I received a visit from 40 to 50 student protesters upset by the unexpected chalkings on campus sidewalks and some buildings yesterday morning, in this case referencing Donald Trump. The students shared with me their concern that these messages were meant to intimidate rather than merely to advocate for a particular candidate, having appeared outside of the context of a Georgia election or campus campaign activity. During our conversation, they voiced their genuine concern and pain in the face of this perceived intimidation.

Those are Emory President James Wagner's direct words.

In response, security tapes from across the campus are being scoured for any apparent "chalk terrorists" ... and if found to be students they will be dismissed or otherwise punished, and if non-students they will be prosecuted.

Punished, dismissed or PROSECUTED for chalking "Trump 2016" in public view on a campus that is known for openly allowing "chalked statements."

The very idea is absurd. The fact that the University Administration from top to bottom is falling over themselves to pamper this kind of nonsense is indeed the real issue here.

Like I've said, I live here; one street over from the campus. I can hear protests when they happen. I am the one stuck in traffic when people stop it for protest (like anti-vaxers at the CDC last year.)

There have been rapes and assaults on the campus that have not had even 1% of this kind of Administrative response or effort or outrage.

There is something DESPERATELY wrong with that, when you think about it.

EDIT: I don't like Trump and will work against his election to the Presidency in any way I can. BUT, this is America, and honestly, the idea that simple messages of support for his candidacy have totally traumatized these students COUPLED with the fact that they have invoked the full force of the University Administration and have received SUPPORT from same to shut down what is, as noted, a typical action on campus (chalking messages on sidewalks) in order to censor and threaten other students or community members, etc. is utterly and completely appalling.

Go stop traffic and get arrested for your convictions. Yell in peoples face and punch them and get arrested for assault if you believe that strongly.

(Actually, I do not advocate for any violence in any form and stopping traffic is stupid ... but ...)

But when anyone tries to use "the police or power of the State" to simply and utterly shut down political language they don't agree with, well, that actually IS a violation of the First Amendment.

I know that the Emory Administration is not technically a government authority, but the analogue is more than clear. Further, if they bring charges against whomever SIMPLY FOR WRITING TRUMP 2016 in chalk on a sidewalk or steps ... that IS invoking the power of the State to silence speech.

I'm a political leftist PRECISELY because I stand against the State discriminating against individual's rights ... ANY individual and ANY rights.
edit on 25-3-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien
a reply to: Kali74

In nearly all such claims, details of the actual controversy were obfuscated by embellished elements framing students or schools as overly sensitive. While it was true some students of color expressed that the large number of Trump chalkings made them uneasy, most simply gathered to express their political distaste for the presidential candidate and his platforms on issues of race and religion.

From your link - emphasis mine

I guess embellished news and the comments section is actual news after a few decades of Fox

It's not even good yellow journalism - now it's just kind of dingy and lame

ETA: I think it's interesting how sensitive some Trump supporters are to the fact that there are people who don't like him and speak out against him. To the point that they need to ridicule them

If Trump says Mexicans are rapists - they're OK with that. They say nothing. If students say Trump is a bigot - they're being too sensitive

It's not that hard for me to decide who's being the bigger wuss

:-)

edit on 3/25/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

But when anyone tries to use "the police or power of the State" to simply and utterly shut down political language they don't agree with, well, that actually IS a violation of the First Amendment.

Yes

I also think that if the GOP tries to steal the nomination from Trump - it's just a different version of this same thing

He may not be my rancid cup of tea - but if he earned it, he gets to run. Or - we stop calling this an election

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Yes

I also think that if the GOP tries to steal the nomination from Trump - it's just a different version of this same thing

He may not be my rancid cup of tea - but if he earned it, he gets to run. Or - we stop calling this an election

I'm a firm believer that political parties (particularly our two party system) need to go away forever; President Washington was right.

In my eyes, Trump is a joke, a dangerous, obnoxious, horrific joke.

BUT

Americans have the right to back anyone they choose for any office. They have the right not to have their political speech taken away by the government or by government analogues.

If these kids had chalked counter-statements? All for it. If they had pressure-washed the chalk away? I'm even down with that, because that is a personal, individual SPEECH ACTION in response.

Trying to have people's lives ruined (dismissed from university) or incarcerated because you don't' like their politics: well, that actually IS fascist.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Mousygretchen

Actually i starred your previous post because you are entitled to your opinion,and you have raised a point which i feel could be addressed for general clarification. It's not so much (i speak for myself here,but i'd wager there are many members who feel the same) that one is Offended by these spineless sissyboys and girls-it is more a matter of legitimate Concern for the young people (and some not so young people who cater to their risible nonsense).

I am not American but i am genuinely concerned for the future of America-as America Does indeed have an influence in many spheres of life,on the entire rest of the planet also,and most certainly on the Western world.These people,who seem to be so unequipped to deal with life,with the harshness of the real world,that they need safe spaces,that they feel victimised and traumatised by seemingly just about every slightest little thing- will form a part of America's political,corporate,legislative,judicial etc etc LEADERSHIP.

Such pussifiedness does not inspire confidence in people like me,and billions like me who hack it in the brutal real world every day.

America has lost it's admired and revered standing in the eyes of much of the planet's population.It has lost much respect.With leaders like these sissified wimps it can only possibly become the biggest and most ridiculed laughing stock of a nation ever.And no-the size of America's military and it's might cannot Force respect for America,or reverence,or goodwill or good standing in the eyes of the global population.The barrel of a gun or gunship can at most cause fear of imminent death.And that's a whole different thing than respect for and confidence in the nation that sent the gun barrel to within inches of your face.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

These people,who seem to be so unequipped to deal with life,with the harshness of the real world,that they need safe spaces,that they feel victimised and traumatised by seemingly just about every slightest little thing- will form a part of America's political,corporate,legislative,judicial etc etc LEADERSHIP.

No they won't. Mostly because they don't exist in the ways or the numbers that you're being led to believe. You maybe should be choosier about where you get your information - and question everything

Just don't you worry. America has a bad-ass fixation. We'll be terrorizing the planet for many years to come

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

According to the SNOPES article, the university was only going after the chalk culprits because they chalked outside the designated areas allowed, NOT because it was to ease the pain and suffering of the protesters.

Some attention focused on Emory's efforts to identify the rogue Trump chalker, but the Emory Wheel made clear that the actions were in dispute because use of chalk to mark structures is only permitted on certain campus areas. The Trump chalkings appeared campus-wide, and therefore broke rules about acceptable use of chalk on campus:

So, how this appears to me is:

1. Several students protested the Trump 2016 chalk simply because they hate what Trump stands for. No problem with protesting.

2. About 40 students complained that the chalk message went beyond just stumping for Trump, and was really about intimidating black students. Okay, these students may be stretching, but....

3. According to the university paper, the university is only going after the chalkers because they broke the university rules on where they could chalk messages, NOT because of the complaints of the 40 students. And no counseling was requested or offered to said 40 students.

Soooooo, out of a student population of almost 15,000, only 40 students were being "special snowflakes", and the university didn't kow tow to them.

Seems like this is a non-issue to me. What IS an issue is the media's attempt to craft fake news stories to make it look like the special snowflake syndrome is a huge deal at college campuses, when it doesn't really appear to be.

(From SNOPES article)

The Emory University media brouhaha was one of several distorted claims of rampant political correctness on college campuses and elsewhere, with several (embellished) details repeated by major outlets such as the Daily Mail, Mediaite, and the Washington Post. Just a few weeks before the Emory controversy, several web sites inaccurately claimed students were offered counseling over the presence of mini sombreros at a party. Another viral Facebook post claimed Captain America was deemed offensive and banned; a Brooklyn principal was falsely accused of banning the Pledge of Allegiance, Thanksgiving, and Christmas; and another faux outrage popped up over a satirical poster claiming popular Halloween costumes were not politically correct and kids wearing them would be denied candy.

In nearly all such claims, details of the actual controversy were obfuscated by embellished elements framing students or schools as overly sensitive.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Well according to Dr. James Wagner's direct comments, the University is taking these extraordinary actions based on the hurt and pain expressed by the 40 or so students in his office.

What "Snopes" says or what anyone else tries to spin this into is secondary to President Wagner himself said, no?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join