It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is really getting ridiculous: Special Snowflake Syndrome

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:
(post by Darmok removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yup... so did we. I was fortunate enough to find work that allowed me to stay for more than 30 years until retiring. A steady job, a steady address and a good enough income where my wife didn't need to work. She was home, the kids played outside and all kinds of scrapes and broken bones taught my 2 boys about life.

They had friends over to play baseball, hockey and football (depending on the season) and they learned how to be social and caring. We had 5 acres for a backyard, so there was lots of room. Cutting the grass was a pain, but good for me too.

I wonder how many families can afford to have that lifestyle today?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
a reply to: DBCowboy

I wonder how many families can afford to have that lifestyle today?

I don't know. But is that a good enough reason not to parent?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: reddragon2015
a reply to: burdman30ott6

kids now a day are weak. it's from the lack from playing outside.

Or getting smacked in the face with a dodge ball....

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: aorAki

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

and yeah, I posted that with every hope that someone, somewhere read it and ended up under their desk, quivering in fear and pain.

Wow big guy, you're real nice.
Hopefully dinosaurs like you become extinct soon. your whole post was full of macho crap that continues to be part of the problem.

Oh you special little darling you. One day when you are all growned up, you might actually see the light.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Its not the kids fault they are being brainwashed by their curriculum, its ours.

Me thinks thou dost protest too much.. they will 'gradually' graduate from what they been learned to a wider horizon by the real world. For them thats just around the next bend.

This is a very important and valid thought. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

You tell me how to successfully parent kids between the hours of 7PM getting home and 9PM kids bedtime daily.

Do it all on the weekends (if you don't have to work 6 days)?

It takes TIME to parent properly. People don't have that TIME anymore because both mom and dad have to work to at least have a home and food on the table. They hand their kids off to daycare and don't see them 5 out of 7 days.

That's the problem.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slave2theTruth

Folks, how about a little compassion here??? I call upon Bernie Sanders and the living members of the Grateful Dead to drop everything and head to Emory for rally and free concert to help re-build the tattered walls of the bubble that these overgrown toddlers live in.

[DISCLAIMER: As a long time deadhead that lives fairly close to Atlanta, I might have some self-serving motives here. P.S. Make sure Trey Anastasio is the guitarist and not John Mayer.]

omg bwhahahahhahhahahahaa!
It could happen, and could be quite fun!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

You absolutely drive a stake through the heart of the problem. These kids have been raised by surrogates. Most of them are good people who tried to make up for their lack of time with consolation prizes, like video games and pizza night (every other meal). Was that smart? Probably not. It would have been easy for you to take pot-shots from the cheap seats, but you chose a different path.

I'd give you applause if I could.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchAngel_X

Okay, i'm going to take it down a few notches..

Imagine what they will do with these..

Work starts at this time, no excuses when you saunter in 15 minutes late.
A deadline is a deadline, and you are expected to complete a task.
You are held accountable for your self.
Late notices are not suggestions for payment, they actually shut things off.
No, checking accounts cannot be done in crayon, and your ipay will not pay, if you have no monies..

Oh the list goes on and on.. Feel free to add gang!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

great thread! It's brought a few of those super special snowflakes here too

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I think now a days if people can't take care of their own kids, they should probably have Cats instead.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Justaposter

Have you seen how they treat millennials at the workplaces these days?

I.E. Check out a Google (company) workplace. That's getting to be the standard.

Free food and drink, personal time interacting with other employees, couches for napping, play areas, exercise rooms, maybe a sauna or steam room.

Sorta like a Willie Wonka at the Chocolate Factory.
edit on 24/3/16 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

a reply to: Justaposter

Have you seen how they treat millennials at the workplaces these days?

I.E. Check out a Google workplace.

Free food and drink, personal time interacting with other employees, couches for napping, play areas, exercise rooms, maybe a sauna or steam room.

Sorta like a Willie Wonka at the Chocolate Factory.

Nah, Silicone Valley has been doing this since the late 70's. They still have deadlines and are expected to perform. If not, there are 328 other people waiting in the wings for the job.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

great thread! It's brought a few of those super special snowflakes here too

Super special snowflakes huh?

That's funny.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua
and you think google is a typical workplace?

what you people are saying about these 'snowflakes' is exeactly what your parents said about your generation and their parents about their generation.
your picking at a few isolated incedents and tarring alot of people with the same brush.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

You tell me how to successfully parent kids between the hours of 7PM getting home and 9PM kids bedtime daily.

Do it all on the weekends (if you don't have to work 6 days)?

It takes TIME to parent properly. People don't have that TIME anymore because both mom and dad have to work to at least have a home and food on the table. They hand their kids off to daycare and don't see them 5 out of 7 days.

That's the problem.

You bring up valid points.

I wish I was smart enough to reply.

I almost want to create a thread just to see what others might think of this issue. I simply don't have the answers.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Kids react to Donald trump. Thought these kids reactions to Donald trump are more sensible than most ATSmembership.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

Yes... it's a typical workplace where theres at least a slim chance at a career. Most jobs are service sector, either selling clothes or food and not worth raccoon poo over the long term.

It's why I left my supervisory career at a nuclear power facility in 2005. The newly hired were impossible to work with, so, rather than getting ulcers and going cross-eyed, I retired specifically because I couldn't stand them.

They were 'special'.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

That's the problem.

I disagree, it's a symptom of an older, worse problem:

The dual income home and, to a lesser extent, the single parent home, has been a natural consequence of government, banks, and corporations taking advantage of the women's rights movement and the Quiet Revolution. The single income family has damn near been priced right out of existence because of this. Prices of things like groceries, homes, medicine, hidden taxes and fees, and durable goods spiked as the dual income household moved closer and closer to 50% of America. Price points were "normalized" to ensure the dual income homes wouldn't get too big headed and opulent and, as a result, it became nigh unto impossible to live the American Dream on an average single income with a family to support.

I knew from an early age that I wanted a traditional home, with a homemaker wife, no day care for my children, and me home every evening for dinner with my whole family. I positioned myself for that through college and waited for the right woman to marry who agreed with those intentions. It's worked, but man it's not easy, especially when the cut-off point between making too much to qualify for any breaks but expected to pay more to support all those who get the breaks is quite a bit lower on the financial chain than "F-you money" is.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join