It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is really getting ridiculous: Special Snowflake Syndrome

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Although I'm already a Trump supporter, if I wasn't I'd hope and pray he wins the election just because of people like this. I would hope that either they'd leave the country or disappear until they mature.

If their immaturity wasn't already noticeable, look at the Nissan commercials. I mean, the theme song for one of the Altima commercials was "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus.
edit on 25-3-2016 by LSU0408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Sorry, where does he say that? Because I don't see it in the quote you provided in your previous post. Maybe it was in another post and I missed it?

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Okay, I found the letter from the president on the Emory website. It really looks to me like he is just acknowledging that these 40 students expressed their "pain", and saying that Emory university wants to be an inclusive university. Just the usual "nice speak" that is typical university politics. What I don't see anywhere is him specifically saying that the university will track down the chalkers and punish them for hurting these 40 students.

After meeting with our students, I cannot dismiss their expression of feelings and concern as motivated only by political preference or over-sensitivity. Instead, the students with whom I spoke heard a message, not about political process or candidate choice, but instead about values regarding diversity and respect that clash with Emory’s own.

As an academic community, we must value and encourage the expression of ideas, vigorous debate, speech, dissent, and protest. At the same time, our commitment to respect, civility, and inclusion calls us to provide a safe environment that inspires and supports courageous inquiry. It is important that we recognize, listen to, and honor the concerns of these students, as well as faculty and staff who may feel similarly.

On the heels of work begun by students last fall and advanced last month through the Racial Justice Retreat and subsequent working groups, Emory is taking a number of significant steps:

Immediate refinements to certain policy and procedural deficiencies (for example, our bias incident reporting and response process);
Regular and structured opportunities for difficult dialogues (like the Transforming Community Project of several years ago);
A formal process to institutionalize identification, review, and addressing of social justice opportunities and issues; and
Commitment to an annual retreat to renew our efforts.

news.emory.edu...

This just essentially says, we will listen to all complaints and deal with them as appropriate. What else is he gonna say? This seems to be an appropriate general response to anyone who comes to complain about racial injustice. Some of the complaints may be real and justified, so he has to say something. But I don't see a statement of direct action against the chalkers as a result of these 40 students' complaints.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
So, your first assertion was that, according to the Snopes article, any actions taken against "the chalkers" would merely be because of the areas chalking was placed not because Emory was addressing emotional distress and pain ... and I showed you from Dr. Wagner's first offical letter that wasn't factual.

Now, you want to summarize his letter, in your own words and reading of this document, and claim that this is just "business as usual" and that there's really nothing to be concerned about here in terms of civil liberties.

Well, I will admit that, as an Emory Alumni Supporter, I've received additional emails from Wagner and other administrators, that I've referenced but that aren't available to the public (yet). As those emails are not addressed specifically to me (but to my partner, the actual alumnus) I can't share them here.

Unless you think that I am prevaricating what I have seen, I'll have to serve as my own reference for the threats of prosecution for trespass at the moment.

HOWEVER, from the student newspaper, The Emory Wheel link:

Wagner added that the Freedom of Expression Committee is meeting to address whether the person or people responsible for the chalking were in compliance with Emory’s policy. He said that they would debate technical issues, such as whether or not the chalkings were done on appropriate surfaces.

However, he believes that the broader concern motivating the protests had to do more with the ideas the chalkings stood for than how they were done. “Was it really just a message about a political preference, a candidate preference, or was it a harsher message?” he asked.

“And I will tell you, those who met with me were genuine in their concerns that it was the latter.” Ultimately, Wagner said he thinks that Emory’s Respect for Open Expression Policy, which states that Emory is “committed to an environment where the open expression of ideas and open, vigorous debate and speech are valued, promoted and encouraged,” permits people to “feel as though they have safety in speaking up” and allows administrators to “feel comfortable responding to incidents and concerns like this.”

Wagner is talking about THOUGHTCRIME here. There's no other way to look at it.

I chalk "Trump 2016" on a step.

How can that action possibly make me a racist? How can that possibly make me threatening toward these students?

Why, on a campus that is contiguous with three hospitals, multiple medical treatment centers and so forth are you going to rightfully accuse me of TRESPASS just because a few kids don't like what I said???

edit on 25-3-2016 by Gryphon66 because: notable

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Okay, but I still don't see anywhere the assertion from the university president that the perpetrators will be punished because of what these 40 students said.

He says that he thinks the upset students believe there was racist motives, but he doesn't say HE believes that. Yes, he says the upset students were more upset about why the message was chalked as opposed to where the message was chalked.

He said they are going to meet to address these issues. Where does he say that the perpetrators are definitely guilty of racist motives and will be punished for it?

I am not saying I agree with these 40 black students. I am saying that the university president has to walk a fine line between simply ignoring any possible race issues and showing partiality to people who shout racism. He has to go through the motions of investigating all sides of the issue, including the 40 black students' claims.

Isn't that what he says he is going to do with the meetings?

I also think you are ignoring the issue of whether the chalkings were done against the university rules, i.e., outside the areas designated for such things. Are you saying there are in fact, no rules about this? Are you saying that the assertion that the chalkings were done outside the designated areas is a lie? Are you saying that no one should be punished in any way for breaking this rule?
edit on 25-3-2016 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Stoners eh....
for you both

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I understand that you want to restrict the conversation to what Wagner said in one letter/press release.

I am not ignoring the university rules about chalking. Yes, when one of the campus organizations creates chalk art/messages/etc. (usually one of the fraternities or sororities) there are rules. However, INFORMALLY, there are stray messages all over the place, and there has never been a public outcry to spend thousands of dollars in sensitivity training, expression accuracy committees, etc. etc. etc. I LIVE HERE, once again. I know a bit about what goes on here.

The 40 students are not Black what made you think that? I linked an article earlier with photos. (The Emory Wheel) The kids are a racial mix. Some of them, interestingly, are a from a group of undocumented students who couldn't attend state colleges and universities in Georgia, who also, interestingly, are on full scholarships while they're here. (Emory Wheel)

You think this is a "BLM" protest or something? It's not.

Do you know what the usual "penalty" is on Emory's campus for drawing outside the lines with chauk?

You have to clean it up. Sponge duty. Not having your college dreams ripped away from you because you have a different political opinion, or that you have to fight a costly legal battle against one of the richest universities in the state to avoid being charged with trespassing or vandalism?

So, yes, I'm saying the threat to dismiss students and/or have folks arrested for trespassing on what is in all senses of the word an "open campus" in any usual circumstances because someone chalked "Trump 2016" is a travesty and the longer it goes on, and the more silly apologies I hear for it, the more ridiculous it seems.

Like I said, there have been RAPES and ASSAULTS on this campus that didn't get this kind of attention.

It's appalling.

edit on 25-3-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

edit on 25-3-2016 by Mousygretchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Everyone gets butthurt these days. over trivial BS. Sticks and stones? Not anymore! Words are the worst WMD of them all if you listen to the ninnies. My last name happens to rhyme with a conjugation of a vulgar term - and I heard it all through grade school and high school. I quickly became immune to it and eventually the kids who said it would stop because it didn't get the reaction they wanted. Of course, all that stopped when it turned out that in college - I was the smartest guy in the room. My fee for tutoring was a good dinner....heck, it didn't even need to be that good.

These days, call someone a name and you're a bully. Kids are being rewarded for being the victim and consequently, they look for more and more ways to be victimized.

I'm so sorry - did he call you a bad name? He's being punished and you should feel good about that.

Even benign things are attacked these days.
Brown bag lunch? That's racist!
Historical flag? That's racist!
Like Kool-Aid? You're a racist!
Fried chicken for dinner? You're a racist!
Anything negative about Obama? You're a racist!
Own a gun? You're a racist!

Even just being white means you have "white privilege" and are therefor - racist.

Heck, I was put in Facebook jail for 24 hours because I posted a woman's birth date! Apparently, that made her feel threatened and anything that makes you feel anything is emotionally damaging.

I've been called a bigot by people who don't know what that word means. I've been called a racist by people who also call me honkey and cracker in the same sentence. I've been called worse - and I just don't care.

What happened?

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

If Trump wins... I will as a westerner from Europe, who supposedly would be christian or atleast protestant if I hadn't willingly chosen the sane road of atheist, happily go to war against the US.

Your country is about to hit rock bottom, and you are taking humanity and sense with you.
Do NOT make this mistake... you will regret it, I guarantee it.
edit on 25/3/16 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: flice

What, exactly, are your reasons for wanting to go to war with the US? And what does Trump have to do with it?

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: flice

If Trump wins... I will as a westerner from Europe, who supposedly would be christian or atleast protestant if I hadn't willingly chosen the sane road of atheist, happily go to war against the US.

Would ya?

SMH

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Do you actually read his article? And have you ever stepped back and listen to yourself?
Your comment doesn't touch on the topic? It doesn't bring anything except hatred to the conversation.
You pretty much are saying you can't wait for him and all like minded people to die????? WT?

You wouldn't be a college student by any chance????

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TheInfiniteFantastic

Who is this directed to?

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Would ya?

SMH

We don't agree all that often burdman, but this time I'm in full agreement...

Edit: one should never 'happily' go to war. It should be one of the most measured and sobering decisions of your life.
edit on 25-3-2016 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: flice

Wow.

Do you often make such threats over the internet? I'm sure that now, no one at all will vote for Trump, 'cause they're scared of you.
/sarcasm. In case you missed it.

Good way to get your self in trouble, dude.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Your country is about to hit rock bottom, and you are taking humanity and sense with you.

well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm voting for Bernie now. I know when I've been threatened and beaten down!

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I will let the following say what I think.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm voting for Bernie now. I know when I've been threatened and beaten down!

HAHA!! Right!?

I'm scared of the big bad keyboard warrior. I better vote Bernie so I can sleep without fear!

LOL.

Look, all things considered, if I was going to war with the US, I'd PRAY that it was Liberals who were in power, certainly NOT Trump.
edit on 26-3-2016 by poncho1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2016 by poncho1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

And....there it is, the misguided Atheist superiority complex.

You know, insane people believe they're the sane ones, and usually are the loudest to profess it.

Be careful.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join