It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Trump Wall: Here are a few things to consider [VIDEO]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I just watched this video by John Oliver regarding Trumps plan to build a wall across the America-Mexico border, and thought it was pretty well made. I figured I should share it here with you folks as well.

The video goes over:
~ Trumps ever-changing position on how much it will cost
~ What it actually may end up costing
~ What the Mexican president has to say about Trumps claims on making Mexico pay for the wall
~ The faulty concepts within it
~ The cost of maintenance over successive years
~ The amount of laws that are being waived if the wall is built Including
- The endangered Species Act
- The safe drinking water act
- The native American grave protection and repatriation act
- and 33 more laws

Among other issues.

edit on 21/3/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147
Building that wall (IN TEXAS; at least a 700 mile breach) would create a heck of a lot jobs on this side of the Mexican border. A Cruz state.
edit on 21-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing
Building that wall would create a heck of a lot jobs on this side of the border.

May I ask how?

If 'Mexico is building' it, then how does that create jobs?
edit on 21/3/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
He said Mexico is going to pay for it.

I put money on it 'won't be built'.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
originally posted by: Ghost147originally posted by: vethumanbeing

vhb: Building that wall would create a heck of a lot jobs on this side of the border.

Ghost147: May I ask how? If 'Mexico is building' it, then how does that create jobs?

They are paying for it not building it and if left to the engineering would have "The Great Escape Movie" (tunneling) plans built into the infrastructure just for laughs.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I think "the wall" is being used more as a symbol of border control than as an actual wall. I dont think he intends to build a wall. Then again, maybe he does and maybe in wrong about that.

There are a lot of ways to fix immigration, and a wall seems costly and ineffective.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Because its Texas? Lawmakers there say NO! But it has a leaky wall; someone take action and put their finger in the DIKE.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
I think "the wall" is being used more as a symbol of border control than as an actual wall. I dont think he intends to build a wall. Then again, maybe he does and maybe in wrong about that. There are a lot of ways to fix immigration, and a wall seems costly and ineffective.

The Vatican thinks a thick fortified wall around Vatican City is just FINE (not over the top); plus 200 Swiss Guard's wearing costumes designed by the 15th century being Michelangelo himself; defending it. What are they afraid of (ITS ROME: The Catholic Encave). Someone lost their nerve.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It's seems pretty obvious now that nothing is going to actually be done about the problem because it suits the needs of certain groups. I suspect businesses want the competition in the job market to keep wages down. Profit is king. The days of caring about a company's work force and seeing it as a valuable asset is gone.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
For the UK, a shorter version about the piggin' wall.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Because its Texas? Lawmakers there say NO! But it has a leaky wall; someone take action and put their finger in the DIKE.

No sure what that means. Texas was outspoken about the feds doing nothing. Remember Perry in the helo at the border.

But I imagine some Texas businesses pay politicians to look the other way.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Mexico will pay the americans to build and maintain the wall that keeps them out. Trump has a plan, he says. I assume he looked into it and has been figuring stuff out about the wall for a long time now. Maybe he was planning to all along, i don't know. I'll look into it, but at this point i just don't know.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

It just doesn't make sense. Even when he says we pay for it via the trade deficit, okay..

How does a wall increase the amount of goods manufactured in the US? How does that make Mexicans buy stuff from the US, instead of their own back yard, or China?

It's not logistically possible to build an uninterrupted boarder wall of that size, along the US boarder, period.

Can it be much better? Sure.

Will it keep guys with potato launchers from just flying their crap into the country?

Nope.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Regardless of what President Trump asks for, it still has to go through the grinder known as Congress. The end result will not be what is presented on the "wish list"...if it's even built at all. If Mexico doesn't pay, it won't be built.

Question: Isn't it pretty easy to get to the USA via the Gulf of Mexico? What about taking boats up the coast a few miles into California? Those waters are fairly calm much of the year. Building a wall on land, yet neglecting the water routes is a waste of time and money isn't it?

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

No sure what that means. Texas was outspoken about the feds doing nothing. Remember Perry in the helo at the border.

There is no excuse for that wall to not have been completed in Texas unless that section of the Rio Grande as a Wildlife park extends into Mexico.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

There is no excuse for that wall to not have been completed in Texas.

Yes there is.

Eminent domain. Most of the Texas Boarder doesn't belong to the state, it's private land. It's also not a straight line and as the video will show you, it's illegal for them to modify the river's course in order to build the wall.

So that's why Texas has no actual full proof wall. I guess Donald doesn't know that a massive land grab when he takes office to accomplish this task will not go over well.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Crossings happen in every state along the border. Even the places with some sad excuse of a security wall get breached.
edit on 3/21/2016 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

That is a good point and i am sure trump is looking into it and is figuring it out as we speak. If i had to venture a guess i would say that we would just have to build a wall across the ocean or something. Maybe add some turrents, i dont know.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
Eminent domain. Most of the Texas Boarder doesn't belong to the state, it's private land. It's also not a straight line and as the video will show you, it's illegal for them to modify the river's course in order to build the wall.
So that's why Texas has no actual full proof wall. I guess Donald doesn't know that a massive land grab when he takes office to accomplish this task will not go over well.~Tenth

When the Rio Grande was a true barrier (not a trickle) I would say this is true. Mexico no longer recognizes this river as the natural boundary between our countries? Eminent domain? There must be in law a statement of 'easement' rights; what belongs to whom on each side perimeter of the fence (WE DO, THEY DON"T).

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoonNova
a reply to: carewemust

That is a good point and i am sure trump is looking into it and is figuring it out as we speak. If i had to venture a guess i would say that we would just have to build a wall across the ocean or something. Maybe add some turrents, i dont know.

Turrents, I like that, I love it!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join