It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Trump Wall: Here are a few things to consider [VIDEO]

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Considering what illegal aliens are estimated to cost the US per year, I think we might actually break even on the wall and it's upkeep.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1 Domo, You are a kool cat with a working brain!

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Very valid concerns, but one thing they never touch is Trump's reasons for wanting to build a wall, namely, that a country without a border is not a country, and the country is being ripped off economically because of it. The illegal workers, in partnership with those who benefit from cheap labor, work for cheap, and whatever money they do make is sent out of the country. The money is not put back into the economy, and jobs are lost to illegal's in favour of cheap labor. Further, this isn't America's fault, but it is the Mexico's fault, who doesn't do enough to handle it's own country's affairs.

Except that the Pew Research Center stated Nearly Half of all the unauthorized migrants now living in the united states entered the country legally through a port of entry such as an airport or a border crossing point.
link

I think Mexico will buckle under the pressure and will agree to help keep care for the border, further strengthening it with available means. This is speculation.

What pressure?

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

The law for the wall already exists, or at least part of the wall.
Money for the wall is supposed to exist.

It is 'the law of the land.'

Now all we need is the will in DC to do something about it.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

If the money starts hurting politicians and the company's that own them then something would be done. Since it is only the average citizen, no need to care.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Except that the Pew Research Center stated Nearly Half of all the unauthorized migrants now living in the united states entered the country legally through a port of entry such as an airport or a border crossing point.

The wall isn't the only solution to the immigration problem, but if it stops half, and we stop handing out visas and actually deporting people that overstay, it will still be very helpful.

We need to staunch the flow somehow, this is a good way to start. If it stops 1/2 of the illegals entering, then ICE etc. will have more resources.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

The wall isn't the only solution to the immigration problem, but if it stops half, and we stop handing out visas and actually deporting people that overstay, it will still be very helpful.

We need to staunch the flow somehow, this is a good way to start. If it stops 1/2 of the illegals entering, then ICE etc. will have more resources.

I just can't get my head around how he expects Mexico to pay for it, and then pay for it again every 7 years forever.

Sure, let's say that it's 100% effective and reduces immigration by 50 percent. There's still the cost to maintain it every 7 years, forever. That just doesn't seem like something I can see any other country agreeing to.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

He's right about people overstaying Visas. We need to start cutting the number allowed proportional to the number of people that stay.

And there are laws already for that. They just need to be enforced.

If done correctly, you aren't going to be hopping over the wall with a ladder, it will actually be two walls, with a no mans land/concertina wire in the middle, monitored by underground motion detectors and video surveillance.

Walls have actually been effective in the past. Turkey (freaking Turkey) is building a 500-mile wall. Link

Hungary built a wall:

Attempted border entries have fallen tremendously. From the 138,396 total for the month of September, the average daily number of intercepted migrants for the first two weeks of November was down to just 15. A daily reduction of more than 4500.
Source

Israel built a wall:

While 9,570 citizens of various African countries entered Israel illegally in the first half of 2012, only 34 did the same in the first six months of 2013, after construction of the main section of the barrier was completed.
Source

Okay so..

The US/Mexico border is 1,933 miles.

Israel's longest border is under 500 Km's. That's about 310 miles.

Hungary's fence is about 110 miles long. Oh and we are going to staff this huge wall too? So we need to put thousands of people on government payroll and equipment them too. The cost of of that must be added.

Acting as if curbing unfettered access to our country is racist or xenophobic is retarded. No country should be allowing in more people than it can take care of. How many children in this country are already hungry?

Nobody actually thinks that's a good idea. The idea is that immigration law exists, and it needs to be refined and then enforced by a well maintained group of people.

Build the wall, staff it appropriately and it will be a positive.

The overwhelming cost of maintenance and personnel, along with equipment purchases doesn't make the project feasible. Nobody who actually looks at the economic implications of building a wall that spans almost 2000 miles can actually say it's a good idea.

You know how Conservatives all talk about how Bernie has pie in the sky proposals like free college?

There's your GOP pie in the sky.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I have a solution put Mexicans on border patrol pay them . And tell them that anyone that gets through gets your job. Lmao

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
According to Pew, Mexicans make up 49% of the illegal population in the United States, and that's not counting the immigrants from other Central American countries as well, who no-less hop the border.

By pressure I mean what Trump is threatening Mexico with if they don't build a wall, which is stated clearly on his website.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

If Mexico doesn't agree to pay for the wall, Trump suggests increasing a number of fees, including those on temporary visas issued to Mexican CEOs and diplomats, border crossing cards and NAFTA worker visas from Mexico. He also proposes increases fees at ports of entry at the Mexican - United States border.

While he has been more forceful about tariffs in his speeches - suggesting that Ford should pay a 35 percent tax on parts and vehicles imported from Mexico if it continues investing there - Trump is more muted in the paper, only saying, "tariffs and foreign aid cuts are also options."

Link

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

By pressure I mean what Trump is threatening Mexico with if they don't build a wall, which is stated clearly on his website.

Could you source this please?

EDIT: Nevemind, Domo1 did as I posted this.

So these fees will be above $30 billion in total over the span of 7 years?
edit on 21/3/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoonNova
a reply to: carewemust

That is a good point and i am sure trump is looking into it and is figuring it out as we speak. If i had to venture a guess i would say that we would just have to build a wall across the ocean or something. Maybe add some turrents, i dont know.

Indeed! You can't let the Pacific to the west of "The Wall" and the Gulf of Mexico on the east, become the main entry points once the land-based wall is built.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: vethumanbeing
Thankfully this has'nt happened in 8 to 10 years because Border Patrol is effective.

That's incredible, but I'm not sure why a wall would be needed if the border patrol is effective?

Because the Dutch were not here to put their fingers in the leaky DIKE. Just as the Federal Government turned their heads to the problem and left it to the underfunded States to solve this influx of illegals. This is finally a Federal problem. Go and visit Tucson Federal Courthouse; read the lists of convicts in consideration of ANYTHING; sentencing, deportation. Most felons in this Federal courthouse are charged with drug crimes, murder, robbery. The interesting fact is those convicted are not immediately deported; they spend their (even as illegals) sentence in Arizona (we tax payers pay for their incarceration) then are deported. The burden is ridiculous; to the taxpayers of this great state of Arizona.
edit on 21-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

What an overwhelming show of force by trump. It is clearer than it ever has been that trump has the perfect plan with no flaw. He is rich, so he knows about walls and how to get them built by foreign countries that receive no gain from such a concept.

The sweeping and quite frankly extremely constitutional changes and the radical shift in how we deal with foreign countries will only have the best, smartest results.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Trump's Immigration Reform

I suggest reading the whole thing, since the majority of it is conveniently left out by Trump critics. It would be nice to hear a criticism of its entirety if anyone knows of one.
edit on 21-3-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Wrong thread

Thought this was trump AIPAC speach video thread...

Sorry. Dont know what went bonkers on this end

edit on 3 21 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The US doesnt need or want Mexicans to stay out. It needs and wants Mexicans to come here legally and follow the rule of law. Is that too much to ask?

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
With all the $$$$ America has Lost Due To Mexican Illegal Immigration alone, I think it is Absolutely the Responsibility of the Mexican corrupt Gov't to Pay for a Wall. The wall would cost Less than the Billions Lost to these Illegals.

Makes perfect sense to me.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
The US doesnt need or want Mexicans to stay out. It needs and wants Mexicans to come here legally and follow the rule of law. Is that too much to ask?

No one has been speaking for the LEGAL Mexicans and how they feel about those ILLEGAL getting around the laws.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join