It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Justice Scalia Dies

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

And coming out and just saying no without even seeing who it is going to be is not vetting.

Was that anything like from 2006 to 2010 the Democrats stuck their fingers in their ears and ignored Republicans for four years ?

+1 more 
link   
I don't see what the big deal is about obstructing.

Just because Obama was elected, doesn't mean everyone on the planet should kiss his ass.

link   
Jesus himself could miraculously show up & Obama nominate him, and I don't doubt one iota the Republicans would reject him because Obama nominated him.

Don't expect them to act like adults, they already make it clear they won't anyway, no matter who is nominated.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
9 children and 35 grandchildren. What a great legacy.

Just as important was preserving parts of our Constitution thanks to his votes on issues that affected how our rights are interpreted and applied.
We all owe him a great debt.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I've been thinking about this a bit. I don't think it's in the Republicans interest to put up a real fight on any Obama nomination, in all cases but a Rubio win. Obviously there will be the token opposition because that's public politics, but there won't be a serious fight. Here's my reasons:

#1: Trump gets the nomination - Trump despite his recent rhetoric is a pretty liberal guy. He's a racist and a xenophobe but he's all about social programs, spending, and large power structures, he even supports very high and even punitive taxes. If Trump becomes president Republicans are going to be upset with his choice.

#2: Cruz gets the nomination - No one likes Cruz, and they will not give this to him if he gets the big office. Opposing him would cause party division that will destroy the RNC in the midterms, but he can't be given this. Therefore giving it to Obama is the correct move.

#3: Kasich gets the nomination - Kasich is basically Obama with an R after his name. The Republicans do not like center/right, and Kasich would ensure the court is 6-3 or 7-2 on every issue. The Republicans also get to scrutinize an opposition candidate under Obama more than a Kasich nomination. Therefore, Obama gets the nomination.

#4: Rubio gets the nomination - This is the only scenario where the Republicans like what will happen.

And for the Dems
#5 Hillary gets the nomination - This paves the way for a President Rubio. Nomination is stalled for him.

#6 Sanders gets the nomination - Sanders beats pretty much everyone the Republicans and put up, he'll also nominate someone that will Bern the whole place down. The Republicans don't want this, therefore Obama gets the nomination.

So, the whole thing comes down to Rubio, and to a lesser extent Hillary. In most cases though, there is no benefit to the Republicans to stall.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

originally posted by: IAMTAT
9 children and 35 grandchildren. What a great legacy.

Just as important was preserving parts of our Constitution thanks to his votes on issues that affected how our rights are interpreted and applied.

should read

Just as important was INTERPRETING parts of our Constitution thanks to his votes on issues that affected how our rights are interpreted and applied.

interpretation and preservation are two very different animal
his job was to interpret the law

he certainly was a creative man

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Well it wasn't about a supreme court nomination, but sure it is the same idea.

Sounds like you found it wrong, wonder why you don't see this is wrong.

Or should I say "Hey the people voted, so that was just them doing their job"/

edit on thSat, 13 Feb 2016 19:16:55 -0600America/Chicago220165580 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: neo96

Their job is to appoint, not to block just for the sake of blocking and pandering.

No their job is to vet the appointments not roll over ,and give the president everything he wants.

Funny that.

The entire reason for being of the separation of powers.

Well, that good faith was defeated when Mitch Mcconnell promised to block ANY Obama nominee.

I mean, come on! At least put up a pretense for opposing any said candidate.

Basically they lost the argument before the argument even began.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc
Here's his voting record...it's going to matter who his replacement is

Antonin Scalia On the issues

This dude makes me want to throw up.

Here's a good example:

Corporate political spending is free speech. (Jan 2010)

Thank god he's finally off this court.
edit on 13-2-2016 by Esoterotica because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

be forced to get gay-married and Planned Parenthood's on every street in America!

Oh Lord!!!

Right?
We're all going to get the gay!!!!
And.....and......women who use contraceptives will be EVERYWHERE!!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Sounds like you found it wrong, wonder why you don't see this is wrong.

Truthfully I dont see it as 'wrong'.

Democrats had no quams doing it to republicans. Which they did for YEARS.

So their whine falls on deaf ears.

Payback is a snip.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Lord have mercy, Obama mama to appoint another supreme court judge during his term, the US is coming to an end.

I am puertorrican but when he appointed Sonia Maria Sotomayor a puertorrican also I was very much against that women she may have been born Puertorrican but behave like she is Mexican, she is a supported of La Raza.

Once the supreme court get infested by progressives the supreme court will no have any need to upheld the constitution.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but Mitch McConnell released a statement about Scalia's death.

"Today our country lost an unwavering champion of a timeless document that unites each of us as Americans. Justice Scalia's fidelity to the Constitution was rivaled only by the love of his family: his wife Maureen his nine children, and his many grandchildren. Through the sheer force of his intellect and his legendary wit, this giant of American jurisprudence almost singlehandedly revived an approach to constitutional interpretation that prioritized the text and original meaning‎ of the Constitution. Elaine and I send our deepest condolences to the entire Scalia family.

"The American people‎ should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President."

Mitch McConnell Releases Statement Follow Death Of Antonin Scalia

Apparently McConnell wants to wait until there's a new sitting president before another justice is appointed. The question is, is it worth the chance of Hillary getting the presidency and nominating Obama?

edit on 2/13/2016 by EternalSolace because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but Mitch McConnel released a statement about Scalia's death.

"Today our country lost an unwavering champion of a timeless document that unites each of us as Americans. Justice Scalia's fidelity to the Constitution was rivaled only by the love of his family: his wife Maureen his nine children, and his many grandchildren. Through the sheer force of his intellect and his legendary wit, this giant of American jurisprudence almost singlehandedly revived an approach to constitutional interpretation that prioritized the text and original meaning‎ of the Constitution. Elaine and I send our deepest condolences to the entire Scalia family.

"The American people‎ should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President."

Mitch McConnell Releases Statement Follow Death Of Antonin Scalia

Apparently McConnell wants to wait until there's a new sitting president before another justice is appointed. The question is, is it worth the chance of Hillary getting the presidency and nominating Obama?

What about the voice of the people that re elected Obama for 2 terms?

McConnell can piss right off with this bull crap

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

I despise McConnell. That said, how many people voted for Obama that now regret it?
edit on 2/13/2016 by EternalSolace because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

The question is, is it worth the chance of Hillary getting the presidency and nominating Obama?

Never going to happen.

I don't know why people think it would.

Going from Potus to the Scotus would be a demotion.

After the presidency it's all down hill.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Hillary is not going to win the primaries Sanders will, now let me make clear that I do not and will not support any of them and will vote for none.

link   

His approval rating is over 50% so I don't think many people that voted for him twice regret voting for him at all.

link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Obama just announced HE WILL NOMINATE SOMEONE.

According to CNN

Well, the majority of our great nation did in fact vote Obama into power for two consecutive terms.

I'm sure he will make the right decision.

May God bless you all and may God bless the United States of America.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join