It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Justice Scalia Dies

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: muse7

originally posted by: Willtell
Let’s discuss this.

Should Obama nominate a known moderate….In order to satisfy the GOP?

Or go ahead and do what most presidents have done, nominate a doctrinaire person who believes in what the president believes.

He should nominate whoever he sees fit to replace Scalia, and at the same time expose the Republicans for the obstructionists they are.

What you call 'obstructionist' others call DEMOCRACY.

Can't have it both ways there.

McConell has already come out and said that they will block ANYONE that Obama nominates.

That's pretty damn obstructionist to me, considering the fact that the U.S. President has the constitutional duty to appoint Supreme Court Justices.
edit on 13-2-2016 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

Let’s discuss this.

Should Obama nominate a known moderate….In order to satisfy the GOP?

Or go ahead and do what most presidents have done, nominate a doctrinaire person who believes in what the president believes.

He should nominate whoever he sees fit to replace Scalia, and at the same time expose the Republicans for the obstructionists they are.

So, you're rooting for Eric Holder then?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

We can look at Obama's past nominations and know what he is planning to nominate. I think its a safe bet many will block any nomination put forth by Obama. Its not rocket science.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kitana

We can look at Obama's past nominations and know what he is planning to nominate. I think its a safe bet many will block any nomination put forth by Obama. Its not rocket science.

I don't have an issue with Republicans refusing to appoint a justice in order to force Obama to nominate another Justice that is more moderate. That's checks and balances at work.

My main issue is McConell already coming out and saying that Republicans will block ANY Obama nominee.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT
Someone is licking their chops. This is big. Sad in more ways then one.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Their job is to appoint, not to block just for the sake of blocking and pandering.

No their job is to vet the appointments not roll over ,and give the president everything he wants.

Funny that.

The entire reason for being of the separation of powers.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Let's examine this. Many who like me, want Justice Scalia replaced by an equal to him - not someone who leans even a little more left, but equal to him - do not believe Obama will make such a nomination.

We can look at his past nominations, and know factually that we will not get an equal nomination out of Obama to Justice Scalia. We wont, we probably wont by ANYONE, let alone Obama.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Is that anything like how the LEFT tried to block under GW ?

Pretty hard to cast stones living in a glass house.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
well im having a drink to celebra.......
er.....honor the mans memory
there will never be another like him (nor should there be)

part of the past has died today
long live the future
edit on 13-2-2016 by fartlordsupreme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kitana

Let's examine this. Many who like me, want Justice Scalia replaced by an equal to him - not someone who leans even a little more left, but equal to him - do not believe Obama will make such a nomination.

We can look at his past nominations, and know factually that we will not get an equal nomination out of Obama to Justice Scalia. We wont, we probably wont by ANYONE, let alone Obama.

Last time I checked the President served for 4 years, so Obama has the constitutional duty to nominate a Supreme Court Justice until his term is up. Congress vowing to block any nominee until the next president is elected is unprecedented.

Republicans will play the same obstructionist game they have been playing for the past 8 years. But I can't see any way how they can come out on the winning side here.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
He was quail hunting outside Marfa, Texas, and died in his sleep according to reports.

Was he hunting with Dick Cheney?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Obama just announced HE WILL NOMINATE SOMEONE.

According to CNN

Never a question in my mind.

Of course he will! The ball is in his court. Let the games begin!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
They say death comes in three's. Only two more misogynistic insanely conservative bigots to go!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

If we get a republican candidate in, we have a chance at getting a better nomination, something closer to Justice Scalia.

Thing is, I am voting for Trump, he is actually a good middle ground with the left. But now, I don't know. Justice Scalia's death may change everything. I am rethinking everything in this moment.

link   
a reply to: neo96

And coming out and just saying no without even seeing who it is going to be is not vetting.

Like I said they have the duty to not just say yes right away, but hardly their duty to just say no to say it.
Oh and you do realize that this will make the 9th court decisions the precedent right?

edit on thSat, 13 Feb 2016 19:03:53 -0600America/Chicago220165380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

edit on thSat, 13 Feb 2016 19:05:12 -0600America/Chicago220161280 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: windword

Obama just announced HE WILL NOMINATE SOMEONE.

According to CNN

Never a question in my mind.

Of course he will! The ball is in his court. Let the games begin!

i know right!?!
almost like its his job or something

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Republicans will play the same obstructionist game they have been playing for the past 8 years. But I can't see any way how they can come out on the winning side here.

Still going on with that nonsense I see.

See in a democracy congressman are elected. The majority rules. People LOVE IT.

Except when it's sore losers crying about how 'obstructionist' Republicans are when they were elected to be so.

Because the MAJORITY in the country got absolutely sick, and tired of Democrats gone wild when they held the trifecta. The House. The Senate. The Exectuive.

The most interesting part there is when those three FAIL. Which they epically do. Like how we ended up with the PAtriot ACt. The NDAA. The ACA. and the TPP.

The Scotus is the last line of defense until another popular VOTE can be had.

Obvious to see that LEFT wingers only pay lip service to that word 'democracy'. They love it when they are running roughshot over everyone.

And when a group of people DARE stand up to them, and draw a line in the sand, and says 'You shall not pass'?

Left wingers go around calling Republicans names.

Alrightie then.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Sremmos80

Their job is to appoint, not to block just for the sake of blocking and pandering.

No their job is to vet the appointments not roll over ,and give the president everything he wants.

Funny that.

The entire reason for being of the separation of powers.

Well, that good faith was defeated when Mitch Mcconnell promised to block ANY Obama nominee.

I mean, come on! At least put up a pretense for opposing any said candidate.
edit on 13-2-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Oh, no ... There goes the country.

Without Scalia ... Obama will be able to permanently break the court left for decades now. finally bring our nation into the 21st Century to join the rest of the western world with progressive ideas that actually help humanity

Fixed that up a little

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Oh wow. That's quite a big deal, indeed.

Wow.
Thanks for alerting us.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join