It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLACK History month...can't wait.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Common sense tells me all this talk of races, racism and skin colours will allow racism to live on forever.

It's so obvious is painful.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Sigh!! people people people stop making Black history synonymous with only slavery it's only a part of that legacy and if we throw in the African part of that legacy then it is only a tiny part of it, and even in the American context there are some very rich tapestry to uncover, from explorers to revolutionary warriors on both sides of the conflict, to merchant men and early wall street operatives, Cowboys and Indians lawmen and badmen, cultural influences and language loan words to spiritually there is soo much more to it.
Pls get off the Slavery tip as the all and be all why don'tcha.

edit on 23-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Actually, it's history and shouldn't be forgotten. Kind of like the Rebel Flag. And the Civil war. And all the statues that stand as a result of that war.

Political correctness is the evil here, not history. If everyone realized the big picture, really, really understood Hippocracy, and didn't cave in so easily to PC, then we might learn from our mistakes, instead of trying to pretend they didn't happen.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Nah I'm not talking about the 50's. The Ku#e, Aksumite and Wagadou empires, Nok, The Sahelian kingdoms, the Moors, Yasuke the first black samurai of Japan, the Dogon etc. Slavery is a minuscule and recent part of black history.

There's no way it can even be explored over the course of a month, there's tens of thousands of years of it.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
a reply to: Hecate666

Nah I'm not talking about the 50's. The Ku#e, Aksumite and Wagadou empires, Nok, The Sahelian kingdoms, the Moors, Yasuke the first black samurai of Japan, the Dogon etc. Slavery is a minuscule and recent part of black history.

There's no way it can even be explored over the course of a month, there's tens of thousands of years of it.

Thank you MagnaCarta thank you somebody else gets it..

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Every March, here in the States, we should call it "National Princess Month."

For all of those special little snowflakes (no pun intended) who are feeling excluded because their skin color/religion doesn't have a month based off of, you now have your own month.

I think it's a great idea, personally. Princesses unite!

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Uncalled for use of the racist card? Oh no, just the truth of it all. The only people who complain about Black History Month are racists. This thread reeks of racism and I'm surprised posts haven't been removed yet.

Yes it is surprising your uncalled for use of the thread killing assault weapon term "racism" has not been removed from the thread yet. Twice now.

The thread lives on which proves you are wrong.
People can be opposed to a government sanctioned calendar designation despite hateful labels that are at the disposal of the PC police.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Uncalled for use of the racist card? Oh no, just the truth of it all. The only people who complain about Black History Month are racists. This thread reeks of racism and I'm surprised posts haven't been removed yet.

It's replies like the one quoted above that mean racism will live on and intelligent debate will die/get banned.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I may wait till next week and start some threads in honor of Black History Month.. but here is an example of what Iam talking about, An African who traveled to Portugal on his own became a Conquistador under the leadership of Hernando Cortez introduced wheat into the new world, his name was Juan Garrido, because of him many here are enjoying wheat based produce he was also part of that murderous company and owned slaves both Africans and Native Americans and he wasn't alone there were many others..now how many knew of him or them before this very moment.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Actually, it's history and shouldn't be forgotten. Kind of like the Rebel Flag. And the Civil war. And all the statues that stand as a result of that war.

Political correctness is the evil here, not history. If everyone realized the big picture, really, really understood Hippocracy, and didn't cave in so easily to PC, then we might learn from our mistakes, instead of trying to pretend they didn't happen.

I appreciate how you flipped PC on its head. It's very true though. We like to believe in the Myth of Shining American Awesomeness (which is a form of PC) and we don't like to look at the very human, sometimes very flawed, people that make up our history, as well as the events and policies that result from all that messiness.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Death by Gluten!

actually, that is a very interesting fact I am glad I heard. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

"Political correctness," exists in the mind.

When I was told to say "Happy Holidays," at work, I always said "Have a nice holiday."

Rebel without a cause.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Part of the reason we focus on some of those is because they are part of Western Cultural Heritage which is what shaped and formed our society today. You cannot fully understand or appreciate all of where we are culturally without studying those cultures because they are the root of this one. Had our cultural heritage started in Asia, we would be studying China, Korea, etc. to the same depth that we tend to study Greece and Rome through Europe.

I agree that there is merit in studying the other cultures of the world, but that needs to be a separate class.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: malevolent
a reply to: Spider879

i should have been more clear that was meant for those that feel so oppressed they blame everyone else for their problem. Respect to you and yours for your service.

Thank you , and I can't overstate this enough , so called Black History month is not just about sufferings and peanut butter as one guy above me put it, even then he is wrong because that's probably the only thing George Washington Carver did not make out of peanuts..

And it should not be viewed as separating Americans but appreciating each others contributions, I can run a pop quiz on any number of contributions made by AAs and most folks would be stomped and this is not something one will find easily in an average text book and some of this is more than just trivia.

HoHoHoHeyHey.......
I just said I love peanut butter.
And that's a fact, bro.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Native Americans mostly died from disease. We killed them, they killed us. Life's not fair.

America was the first country in modern times to fight for slaves to gain freedom. We were the leaders of the rest of the world to follow suit.

Chinese had it rough, Irish had it rough, Indians had it rough, Japanese had it rough, Europeans had it rough. Our ancestors had it rough. You don't compared to them, get over it.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous
a reply to: Abysha

Native Americans mostly died from disease. We killed them, they killed us. Life's not fair.

America was the first country in modern times to fight for slaves to gain freedom. We were the leaders of the rest of the world to follow suit.

Chinese had it rough, Irish had it rough, Indians had it rough, Japanese had it rough, Europeans had it rough. Our ancestors had it rough. You don't compared to them, get over it.

I find funny how many of you guys get with your dismissive tone of Get Over It! like it was a mosquito bite and time context and reoccurring system of " racist ideology" handed down from one generation to the next is simply not a thing..what I want to say to ppl with that thought process is why don't you ! get over your racist ideology , seemed to me that's where the real problem lays.
And in terms of AAs they had a longer more difficult time of it, there were some key moments in history when things could have taken a turn for the better.
1 After the war of independence the issue of slavery could have been dealt with.
2 After the civil war the issue of of equal rights for all could have been dealt with.
3 following WW2 the issue of Jim Crow and fair hiring practices could have been dealt with.
But as always ppl with dismissive tones reject and torpedoed any such efforts.
And like I said over and over again in this thread slavery and suffering is not the only aspect to so called Black history.
Oh and Btw America was not the first nation to go to war against Slavery the Brits did and so did the nation of Haiti.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Lol America weren't the world leaders at the forefront of the abolition of slavery. Do they teach that in American schools? They were one of the later nations to catch on that it wasn't a cool thing to do.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
Lol America weren't the world leaders at the forefront of the abolition of slavery. Do they teach that in American schools? They were one of the later nations to catch on that it wasn't a cool thing to do.

No but it's simply one of those going from the gut thing it feels right saying it must be so, actually Haiti was the first nation ever to over throw slavery and it was bloody and nasty it was also the first Black Republic, they had won the wars against the French ,Spaniards and British , but tragically not the peace.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Allowing people to find their voice and celebrate their history is something that not only doesn't bother me, but truthfully I have never thought on.

I guess I operate from a perspective of wanting people to be happy, live and let live, that kinda stuff.

Believerpriest, you are a very vocal Christian on ATS, May I reference your good book?

.... less stone throwing.

edit on 23-1-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed if I didn't have 12 years of Black History Month shoved down my throat by the public school system.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join