It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLACK History month...can't wait.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: malevolent
a reply to: Spider879

i should have been more clear that was meant for those that feel so oppressed they blame everyone else for their problem. Respect to you and yours for your service.

Thank you , and I can't overstate this enough , so called Black History month is not just about sufferings and peanut butter as one guy above me put it, even then he is wrong because that's probably the only thing George Washington Carver did not make out of peanuts..

And it should not be viewed as separating Americans but appreciating each others contributions, I can run a pop quiz on any number of contributions made by AAs and most folks would be stomped and this is not something one will find easily in an average text book and some of this is more than just trivia.
edit on 23-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

i should have been more clear that was meant for those that feel so oppressed they blame everyone else for their problem. Respect to you and yours for your service.

Thank you , and I can't overstate this enough , so called Black History month is not just about sufferings and peanut butter as one guy above me put it, even then he is wrong because that's probably the only thing George Washington Carver did not make out of peanuts..

And it should not be viewed as separating Americans but appreciating each others contributions, I can run a pop quiz on any number of contributions made by AAs and most folks would be stomped and this is not something one will find easily in an average text book and some of this is more than just trivia.
no need to thank me, thank you. i think you are missing the point i wanted to make that it's only driving the wedge in deeper when we should be thinking more that we are not a separate race but one race one people, sorry if in some way you were offended but maybe you needed to be

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   

no need to thank me, thank you. i think you are missing the point i wanted to make that it's only driving the wedge in deeper when we should be thinking more that we are not a separate race but one race one people, sorry if in some way you were offended but maybe you needed to be

And you are still missing mine, that having something called Black history month or any other month is not something that should be construed as separatist or even hostile but all can join in and part take especially if one is hard pressed to find important aspects of that history between the pages of your average text book , not quite the same but as an example, lookie here come St Paddies day Iam in full green celebrating with the Irish , come Chinese New yrs I am in China town, Italian day Iam in lil Italy and so on..for me personally all these ethnic Holidays and history months the city Museums or community centers usually showcased those events and not once have I been not made to feel out of place or unwanted..but I guess we have very different out look or experience.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   

i get what your saying but i'm talking about here in the states and the ignorance and just plain stupidity that goes on, things have got to change so the past can be looked back on as something to be learned from and not a reason to hate and get pissed off for. so did you go to ireland for st pattys day?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   

i get what your saying but i'm talking about here in the states and the ignorance and just plain stupidity that goes on, things have got to change so the past can be looked back on as something to be learned from and not a reason to hate and get pissed off for. so did you go to ireland for st pattys day?

No usually NYC or Japan but my friend an Irish New Yorker want us to go next year as I am not prepared for this yr.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   

oh, that would be cool if you get the chance go check out one of the sidhe hills. have you got any good stories about japan? the mythology and history there has alsway been interesting to me
edit on 23-1-2016 by malevolent because: because i can

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
I don't know

Maybe because African Americans faced the brunt of Slavery, were freed and then had to fight for their right to even drink from the same water fountain as a White person.

Civil Rights movement and all that jazz...

But I almost cut myself on your edgyness though

And what about the native Americans who suffered genocide?

The jews who nearly got wiped out through genocide?

The Chinese who suffered under Mao?

Ect el

Blacks are not tge only people who have had bad things happen to them

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: muse7
I don't know

Maybe because African Americans faced the brunt of Slavery, were freed and then had to fight for their right to even drink from the same water fountain as a White person.

Civil Rights movement and all that jazz...

But I almost cut myself on your edgyness though

And what about the native Americans who suffered genocide?

The jews who nearly got wiped out through genocide?

The Chinese who suffered under Mao?

Ect el

Blacks are not tge only people who have had bad things happen to them
while we're it lets include those oppressed daemons we call fallen angels, if you get to the root of it they disagreed with shlog and fought back and for being individuals they were demonized by humanity

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

The whole premise of your rant is off base, you are wrong if you think Black history is about just slavery, you don't even have a clue of why one was needed in the first place, listen everytime around this time of year some jackass come out of the woodwork crying waaah waaah!! where is my White History month
...yet you fools don't even realize that 99% of what passes for history is all about white folks, and that is considered the norm so ubiquitous it is not even thought of as such, if you were truly interested in celebrating your native American ancestry you would know that November is Native American history month, but off course you missed it because you could give a goodgadamn. I haven't a drop of Native Ancestry in me but even I tried to pay homage to their contributions.
The Native American Presence In The Old World:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Again, my point is American History should be American History. So why single out one race. What about the Cuban refugees who received the wet-foot-dry-foot policy? So many of them dying at sea, trying to reach America. Or what about the Japanese who were rounded up during WWII? It's ok to ignore those moments of history to saturate our minds with black history for an entire month?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

The whole premise of your rant is off base, you are wrong if you think Black history is about just slavery, you don't even have a clue of why one was needed in the first place, listen everytime around this time of year some jackass come out of the woodwork crying waaah waaah!! where is my White History month
...yet you fools don't even realize that 99% of what passes for history is all about white folks, and that is considered the norm so ubiquitous it is not even thought of as such, if you were truly interested in celebrating your native American ancestry you would know that November is Native American history month, but off course you missed it because you could give a goodgadamn. I haven't a drop of Native Ancestry in me but even I tried to pay homage to their contributions.
The Native American Presence In The Old World:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Again, my point is American History should be American History. So why single out one race. What about the Cuban refugees who received the wet-foot-dry-foot policy? So many of them dying at sea, trying to reach America. Or what about the Japanese who were rounded up during WWII? It's ok to ignore those moments of history to saturate our minds with black history for an entire month?

Carter G. Woodson Biography
Historian (1875–1950)

What exactly is so difficult for you to understand, you do know how and why it got started do you not?? if not then it is a prime example in itself of why it is needed.

Creating Black History Month

Woodson lobbied schools and organizations to participate in a special program to encourage the study of African-American history, which began in February 1926 with Negro History Week. The program was later expanded and renamed Black History Month. (Woodson had chosen February for the initial weeklong celebration to honor the birth months of abolitionist Frederick Douglass and President Abraham Lincoln.)

To help teachers with African-American studies, Woodson later created the Negro History Bulletin in 1937 and also penned literature for elementary and secondary school students.

Woodson died on April 3, 1950, a respected and honored figure who received accolades for his vision. His legacy continues on, with Black History Month being a national cultural force recognized by a variety of media formats, organizations and educational institutions.
www.biography.com...-mis-education-of-the-negro

Before him there were zero information about African American's participation in Americas history in school rooms, they were completely whited out, even in segregated public schools, all they knew both Black and white kids were Black people were the slaves, that's it.
But questions like these continue to puzzle me,

Question:
why do Blacks have their
Own collages and universities ..
Ans because they were not allowed to attended white ones.

Question are white ppl or others allowed to go there ;
Ans yes both faculty and student body are mixed today since segregation ended..they are now known as HBCUs or "Historically" Black Colleges And Universities.

Question. why do Black ppl have their own Magazines like Jet, Ebony, Black Enterprise etc.
Answer: because so called mainstream publications had no interest in African American social life so enterprising African American business men and women fill in the vacuum and provide a much need service and outlet.
Question do white ppl or others work there??
Ans yes, some even rise to the position of editor in chief.

Question why do Black ppl have BET
Answer: because MTV's targeted audience was for white kids in middle America, so said the founder Robert Pittman when asked why no Blacks beside Micheal Jackson , so Robert L. Johnson an AA saw a huge opening for urban underground Hip hop and launched BET.

Question : are there white ppl or others that worked and got show cased on BET??
Ans: yes Robert L. Johnson sold the the network to Bill Gates, which intern sold it to Viacom make him a multi Billionaire.

edit on 23-1-2016 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Btw Asian Pacific month is in May.
September 15 to October 15 is National Hispanic Heritage Month.
German American Heritage Month September 15-October 15
Polish American Heritage Month October .
Need I go on??

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

The Natives of America do deserve their own history month. Then we would have to see how our Great Fathers of the past and present, how we "Americans," buy into the Myth of our own infallible awesomeness.
It's in November.

If we do not look at the dark side of our history, if we do not go beyond the pale of our picket fences to see what our ancestors wrought, and the current results of that history, then we cannot learn or grow from these horrors, we will believe ourselves to be Above such behavior, and we will ignore the very obvious long term effects of our historical actions.

We, Americans, deserve to know our history as it was: brutal, filled with lies, AND an experiment in governance that created a democratic republic of unprecedented power.

We need to fully acknowledge, however, the less noble aspects of how we became a country and how we gained our economic superiority and power in the early years: slavery and forcing Natives off their land whenever we felt like it. Both of those acts left wounds of poverty that have yet to be healed.

That is, in part, why we need to remember. So that those we marginalized and used as chattel can be seen in the fullness of their humanity, those who were left out of the history books but whose labor built this country, that their suffering and accomplishments might give inspiration and hope to all of us.

As you well know, white men are not the only actors in history. This is the other reason. Think of it not as "special time" to celebrate the accomplishments of Blacks, but merely an attempt to give some equal time. They and we deserve that, as do Native Americans.

Anyway. Flame on I guess.

AB
edit on 23-1-2016 by AboveBoard because: Argh! Phone misspellings! Rufgkgsykkgsg

edit on 23-1-2016 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Uncalled for use of the racist card? Oh no, just the truth of it all. The only people who complain about Black History Month are racists. This thread reeks of racism and I'm surprised posts haven't been removed yet.
edit on 23-1-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Believe it or not I have had arguments with people both on line and in street conversation that they can't think of any contributions beyond sports and music that Black ppl had made ..not only in the context of the united states of America but the world throughout history and this being the 21st century when so much info is out there.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Any holiday or function with a skin color attached to the name is racism. Especially if it has "white" attached to it. I personally think that people get the most angry at whites when we try to do it. Why ? In my opinion everyone wants to be white so they are jealous, is that racist ? What other reason could there be and please don't drag up some overly PC dramatized idea of slavery being the reason.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Foderalover
Any holiday or function with a skin color attached to the name is racism. Especially if it has "white" attached to it. I personally think that people get the most angry at whites when we try to do it. Why ? In my opinion everyone wants to be white so they are jealous, is that racist ? What other reason could there be and please don't drag up some overly PC dramatized idea of slavery being the reason.

It wouldn't matter if we called Black History Month African American History you and others of your ilk would still pitch a fit, because as you well know Black as is used in the American context is referring to Americans of African ancestry regardless of their actual complexion as an ethnic group , but even African American as a descriptive term is frown upon by many like yourselves, I'd prefer the term African Americans as more meaningful after all black is just a color and not tied to anything beyond a general notion of skin color.. but whatever the final choice the people of African ancestry take for a name, it is for us to approve or disapprove of..as a wise man once taught me...Pets and slaves are named by their owners, but freemen name themselves.
And again slavery is only apart of the experience of African Americans recognize during Black History month..
and excuse You?? want to be white and jealous??..I take nothing away from my white brothers and sisters , but that in no way applies to one who have knowledge of self.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
As a European, I don't really get BHM. Yeah, blacks had a tough time. So did the Irish. They were slaves even below black slaves. They cost less, nobody cared if they were killed etc.

Then there are slaves right now at this moment. Usually in Arab countries but also in Pakistani rich families. They are from poor asian countries and there is no difference at all in the way they are treated compared to slaves back then.
They live in appalling conditions and nobody cares.

Their passports are kept, they are often mutilated, mistreated and killed. They are bought to serve in domestic environments and others are forced to work in construction. They are 100% what you understand when someone says 'slave'.
The can't leave, they are owned and they are forced to work.

Then there are female eastern European sex slaves. They are caught by slave hunters, beaten, drugged and forced to work in the sex industry against their will. Nothing is regulated and they often get beaten to death and nobody gives a damn.

There is slavery right now and all I see is whining of people who have never actually been slaves. Sometimes not even their ancestors were slaves. A lot of black people went to America in the 50s onwards. How do they need a BHM?

I am also sick and tired that only white people are blamed for slavery.

Those that were 'gathering' slaves from Africa were Africans!!!!
They betrayed their own by actually getting slaves from tribes for either European or Arab rich folk. What about those incredible cowards and traitors who were black africans and who sold their own people for gain?????

Last but not least. When slavery was 'normal', there were an awful lot of good employers. There also were assholes who mistreated their slaves but they would have mistreated anybody. African, irish, human, female...A good majority just used slaves in a way farmers were used by Lords. They had accomodation, access to medicine etc, they only bugger was that they were far from home and could not leave. So I am glad slavery ended.

It was the WHITE people who eventually saw that slavery wasn't a humane thing and started to change it, by voting or even civil wars. A war by white people against slavery. Hence, we don't do it in the civilised world any longer.

Thank you [some] white people.

I can't help but think that if you are intrinsically a hard working, trustworthy individual, you would have no problems getting a career, despite any colouring of skin or shape of eyes.

Where is the 'Phillipino slave history month' or the 'Eastern European female slave' history month? They are dying and are being mistreated RIGHT NOW!

Black people have rights, they have opportunities, they have positive action, they get concessions and help everywhere, at school, for jobs etc. Use it, show us what you are made of. You are the ones with the chances, those modern day slaves have no rights whatsoever, they are living the life black people did 200 years ago.

Maybe black people could go and campaign for those poor souls, seeing that people don't know about modern slaves.That would be really great!

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

I'm not a historian but I have a strange suspicion there might be a bit more to black history than just slavery.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
a reply to: Hecate666

I'm not a historian but I have a strange suspicion there might be a bit more to black history than just slavery.

If that is true, then I am all for it. I assume you speak about how they were treated in the 50s etc?
Yeah, by all means have a day to remember the struggle and point out that it was wrong.

As a stupid, racist, whitey [this is what everyone assumes], all I hear is Black people having it worse than anyone else in the world, because they are black.
Students want safe rooms, actors want oscars, and the rest believes that everything that happens to them is because of skin colour and not merit.

All I did with my post is to point out that s4it can happen to anybody, regardless of skin colour.

Do we have a women's month? Because women are treated badly and as second class citizens in a large part of this world.

What exactly makes Black people and their obviously real suffering worse than other people's suffering right at this moment in time? Let me guess, it is their skin colour.

If it wasn't, it would be called African American Human History month, because we are all humans, why do they have to remove themselves from the generic human suffering by pointing out their skin colour?

I don't care about skin colour, it's stupid; but I do care about human suffering and want it to stop. For everyone, regardless of physical differences.

And yes black people in America go on about slavery a lot.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
Yeah, by all means have a day to remember the struggle and point out that it was wrong.

We have Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join