It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLACK History month...can't wait.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Oh, ain't you just the wittiest guy. Slandering a simple woman like that. Man you must be proud of what ever you are.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

The only people I've ever heard complain about Black history month are legit racists. So...

I'll counter that uncalled for use of the racist card to point out that....
Only the people that go along with a human skin color month are the real racists who either go along with it so they will not be found out or are rabid haters of other skin colors besides the special of the month.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

The only people I've ever heard complain about Black history month are legit racists. So...

Only the people that go along with a human skin color month are the real racists who either go along with it so they will not be found out or are rabid haters of other skin colors besides the special of the month.

What you point out is just nonsense.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

What you point out is just nonsense.

Just like having a special month for a race of humanity when no other races get one?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Well, there are 12 months, so we can squeeze in 12 races, but the rest of the world can go SUCK IT.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

You could always do what I do do during 'black history' month and ignore it like I do most people that whine and complain. It isn't part of my history so I really don't care.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I guess I can do that now, but if you've ever participated in the US public school system, that simply isn't an option.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Well, there are 12 months, so we can squeeze in 12 races, but the rest of the world can go SUCK IT.

But there isn't one for any others so,

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

psst, hey man, I got some safe space over here for sale @ a closeout price. Just click any link outside the thread, and its your for free

I still believe that the Native Americans got it worst than the Africans did in America. I mean, they literally got genocided here guys. Black people are overwhelmingly more represented here in population than the Natives. Even the Jews got their own Nation (legality under debate) , so yea. Natives got shafted.

I suggest we simply revise the month into "oppressed cultures history month" , and add the Natives and Jews into the mix.
edit on 22-1-2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
NO.
How you can compare the two is totally beyond me. A month established to help promote the great additions to our nation by men and women who had previously been ignored in Amreican history because of their race and the babbling rhetoric you just spewed out is,well, is, oh, never mind.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Dead history? What are you trying to say there, that America should forget how badly blacks were treated up until a few decades ago? We remember our "dead" history so we aren't doomed to repeat it.

I believe what that the op wasn't really complaining about learning about black history. I love learning about history and welcome the chance to learn about all of it, especially indigenous peoples. You might note that indigenous peoples are heading toward extinction across the planet while the black population in America is in no danger of complete and utter extinction. Big difference.

I believe they were lamenting the fact that it has not only become a month of celebrating the rich history and cultural contributions of blacks (which somehow for this month it's okay to say black instead of African-American), but also a social abnormality in that not every culture has one. Many cultures have suffered in the history of this country and the world.

The only people I've ever heard label a whole group as legit racists are legit "not thinking things through". So...

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Thank you Metallicus. That is what I try to do too.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist
And thanks AR. I will take that suggestion and depart.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Do you not see why it exists? Have you ever paid attention to black history? If so, have you ever wondered why most of those figures are left out of school text books (when I was a kid, at least)?

And your complaint about our indigenous folks not "getting a month" is totally valid. Once you get past your false assumption that a "history month" is about prestige and not legitimate history. Our conventional history text books leave out many things that are inconvenient to our image as a "land of the free".

Conventional history leaves out the original occupants in America because it shows we are a nation born of genocide.
Conventional history leaves out important details of black history because it shows we are a nation of slavers.
Conventional history leaves out much about the Chinese immigrants because it shows us we had to rely on the sweat of exploited foreigners to build our nation.
Conventional history leaves out much about LGBT historical figures because it shows us we are a nation that persecuted Americans just for who they loved.
Conventional history leaves out much about Americans of Japanese descent because it show us we are a nation who will detain an entire demographic in prison camps simply because we don't like what people who looked like them did to us.

We whitewash and kid-glove sooooo much of our history. There is NOTHING wrong with black history month. It is a step in the right direction of pealing off the biased history we are normally told.

Instead of being upset because it doesn't include you, why don't you support it?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
(which somehow for this month it's okay to say black instead of African-American)

I don't know man, I am a white chico, and I have never EVER referred to a single black person in my life as African American, or caught flak for it. Although lately I just say dark skinned, because frankly, not many people that are dark skinned are really close to black at all.

this is very true.
edit on 22-1-2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

You missed my point entirely. American history is American history. Its not black, white Native American or LGBTXYZ. By emphasizing one race, we ignore the rest of history.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
a reply to: Abysha

You missed my point entirely. American history is American history. Its not black, white Native American or LGBTXYZ. By emphasizing one race, we ignore the rest of history.

If you believe that, then you entirely missed the point of things like black history month.

"American history" is supposed to be as you say but it is not. When you were in school, what version of Christopher Columbus were you told?

Ideally, popular American history would be an unbiased account of America's history. Are you trying to tell me that it actually is?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
(which somehow for this month it's okay to say black instead of African-American)

I don't know man, I am a white chico, and I have never EVER referred to a single black person in my life as African American, or caught flak for it. Although lately I just say dark skinned, because frankly, not many people that are dark skinned are really close to black at all.

I never have caught flak for it either... it's more a thing you read about. I was talking about how in the media and government it's still acceptable for some reason. So many people are mixed race now that it's impossible to tell their origins unless they choose to tell you about it. I know Europeans darker than people I know that identify as black. It'd be nice if homogeneity will eventually solve racial tensions.

Most people I know of don't care about it at all. It was a criticism of media and government culture, I'm sorry I didn't make that clear and I didn't word it well.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

i haven't read all 3 pages yet but why does complaining about Black history month make a person racist. i saw a thread earlier about white history month and cause their white and proud of it they're racist too? i am 3rd generation portuguese half, cherokee irish and cheyenne. wheres my history month? not that i want it or give a rats ass but seriously the way we are putting so much importance on colors is retarded. i will admit it i am racist and you are all trash i can not stand stupid people i hate you all equally your skin color doesn't make any difference. going to read the rest of this now

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Your question:

originally posted by: malevolent
wheres my history month?

Your answer:

originally posted by: malevolent
not that i want it or give a rats ass

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join