It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLACK History month...can't wait.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Black History month is doublespeak for White guilt month. Simple really.

Of course only the parts they want you to hear about it are the ones that you will.

You'll never hear about the many many black Confederate soldiers who enlisted of their own free will before the war even started.

You'll never hear about the Tuskegee syphilis.

Or about the Irony of the US winning WWII against a tyrannical racist regime with a segregated army.

On and on it goes.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I kind of have sympathies for the necessity for Black History Month (in America only) but as a history buff i don't see why we don't also have every other flavour of history month too.

Frankly, US Black history is pretty boring compared to some history months you could have - Near East / Levant would have to be history 3 months...........

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
I don't know

Maybe because African Americans faced the brunt of Slavery, were freed and then had to fight for their right to even drink from the same water fountain as a White person.

Civil Rights movement and all that jazz...

But I almost cut myself on your edgyness though

Umm and who enslaved them?

Do some research, African slaves where sold to Europeans by other BLACK African tribes for the most part. A practice that was in place long before Europeans came to Africa.

In fact it has been in place over most the world for thousands of years. Most Europeans can trace bak to a time when they where slaves of one empire or other.

Under the Greeks they had slaves.
Under the Romans there where slaves.
Under the Moors there where slaves.
Later they got better and called them serfs, but they where slaves.

Unless you have royal blood, I'm willing to bet you can trace back to when your family where slaves.

My family came over to the US as indentured servants. Another type of slave.

What about the Japanese? Or the Chinese? They where not treated any better for the most part.
Or what about the Irish? or the Poles? or the Jews? Yes they could blend in better, but once they where outed they where not treated much better in the 1860+

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
a reply to: Abysha

You missed my point entirely. American history is American history. Its not black, white Native American or LGBTXYZ. By emphasizing one race, we ignore the rest of history.

If you believe that, then you entirely missed the point of things like black history month.

"American history" is supposed to be as you say but it is not. When you were in school, what version of Christopher Columbus were you told?

Ideally, popular American history would be an unbiased account of America's history. Are you trying to tell me that it actually is?

Fine, but if you want the truth then tell the whole truth.

Who captured most the slaves that came to America? Other blacks. One tribe would capture another and use them or sell them. It was going on long before Europeans started transporting slaves to the US. In fact it still is going on in many parts of Africa. Very few Europeans actually went into Africa and captured slaves. Most bought them off of other tribes or even middle eastern slave blocks. You know even now under Sharia law slavery is legal.

Just another inconvenient part of history that one side ones to forget.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: RoadCourse

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
(which somehow for this month it's okay to say black instead of African-American)

I don't know man, I am a white chico, and I have never EVER referred to a single black person in my life as African American, or caught flak for it. Although lately I just say dark skinned, because frankly, not many people that are dark skinned are really close to black at all.

Umm I think black is the mix of all color.

Depends on if you are talking light or paint.

this is very true.

Isn't 'Black' the absence of color?

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Cancerwarrior

Black History month is doublespeak for White guilt month. Simple really.

Of course only the parts they want you to hear about it are the ones that you will.

You'll never hear about the many many black Confederate soldiers who enlisted of their own free will before the war even started.

You'll never hear about the Tuskegee syphilis.

Or about the Irony of the US winning WWII against a tyrannical racist regime with a segregated army.

On and on it goes.

You speak of White guilt yet Black History month was started back in the 1920ts to teach a largely segregated black school children something of their forefather's contribution to the making of America,your "white guilt" have nothing to do with it.
as far the Tuskegee experiment goes that largely depend on the age of the kids being taught, in any case it is well known among Black folks, Black Confederate soldiers and slavers we know of them but choose not to honor them, treasonous Toms that they were, do you honor Benedict Arnold?? ..

Yes we knew and study the lives of AA soldiers of all American conflicts and give proper honor to them, from the Revolutionary war the 10th Cavalry Regiment of the United States Army, the Tuskegee Air men and hero sailors we recognize their sacrifice for a nation that did not always recognize them. Hint another reason why Black History month is necessary.

Flavian

I kind of have sympathies for the necessity for Black History Month (in America only) but as a history buff i don't see why we don't also have every other flavour of history month too.

Frankly, US Black history is pretty boring compared to some history months you could have - Near East / Levant would have to be history 3 months...........

Believe it or not other ethnys including White folks with ancestors from various nations in Europe have a Month dedicated to them, I posted some a pg or two back, as far as boring if I include Black or African participation in the Near East and the Levant which was once African territory not to mention Greater Africa itself it would take more than one life time.

Dismanrc

Umm and who enslaved them?

Do some research, African slaves where sold to Europeans by other BLACK African tribes for the most part. A practice that was in place long before Europeans came to Africa.

That do not go unrecognized as AAs make field trips to Slave castles did documentaries about the involvement of African kings in the trade nothing is being covered up here you seemed way behind the curve on this.

This was known and discussed even way before Henry skip Gates made this documentary first aired in 1994.

Just another inconvenient part of history that one side ones to forget.

Not it's not, but one side like to used this well worn-out straw-man as a deflection.

One more thing I had said this many time in this thread...Black History is much much more than slavery, slave trade, suffering through Jim Crow and such, it was never about white guilt so pretty please with cherry on top get over yourselves.
edit on 25-1-2016 by Spider879 because: Add content

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Hi Spider, i missed you posting that information (my bad, sorry). If there are other history months then black history month should definitely go ahead.

To be clear, i hate discrimination of any kind. As is said, i understand the need (in the US) for a black history month but at the same time this is itself slightly racist if other months aren't offered.

as far as boring if I include Black or African participation in the Near East and the Levant which was once African territory not to mention Greater Africa itself it would take more than one life time

Now don't go cheating! That applies to any region on the planet for every flavour of the human race. Sticking purely to the (my) guidelines, that would cover African history (extremely interesting) and Near East / Levant history (also extremely interesting) as opposed to US Black history (merely very interesting by comparison). I don't see that as being unfair, more a reflection on time. In 500 years time, US Black history month could be absolutely amazing - although, if it is still needed, something will have gone horribly wrong somewhere.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Now don't go cheating! That applies to any region on the planet for every flavour of the human race. Sticking purely to the (my) guidelines, that would cover African history (extremely interesting) and Near East / Levant history (also extremely interesting) as opposed to US Black history (merely very interesting by comparison). I don't see that as being unfair, more a reflection on time. In 500 years time, US Black history month could be absolutely amazing - although, if it is still needed, something will have gone horribly wrong somewhere.

Ok I won't go super ancient using your guideline and I don't know how much you know of the subject but it's pretty darn interesting and impressive once you go deeper into it, and yes perhaps a time may come when people in the U.S take an holistic view of all our collective stories the good the bad and the ugly and make it "OUR" story , but I and others are weary of reactionary views,made worst when attempts at editing books and altering the stories for current political expediency this has been done as recently as last year.
edit on 25-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Well there is already MLK day, and that should be enough. There are only 12 months, so that is not enough to make the diversity of America satisfied.

If you think about it, American Indians don't even have a day, and they were here first. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

You are aware that other months have 31 days in them right? January is not the "longest" month...maybe a typo on your part I suspect.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SheopleNation
Well there is already MLK day, and that should be enough. There are only 12 months, so that is not enough to make the diversity of America satisfied.

If you think about it, American Indians don't even have a day, and they were here first. ~$heopleNation

we don't have to think about it, we know that first nation people have a month it's called November. although I would like to see one of their members on a U.S note, or given a national holiday.

And MLK day is MLK day to reflect on one mans legacy to fight against Jim Crow which I may add U and many others like U secretly begrudged him for.
edit on 25-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
'Spose we better get rid of shark week soon, don't want to offend the snapper heads

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
And MLK day is MLK day to reflect on one mans legacy to fight against Jim Crow which I may add U and many others like U secretly begrudged him for.

People like me? Why would I SECRETLY begrudge King? Lets not come unhinged now, calm down. ~$heopleNation
edit on 26-1-2016 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Heh.

I don't really want to get too involved with this being from the UK, none of this stuff has ever really been muchof an issue here.

What I want to ask is why people are so certain that if we don't constantly remind ourselves of the ugly things in history that it'll simply happen again....we've learnt nothing.

Is this really true? Basically it's like saying "if we're not constantly reminded how evil we've been in the past we'll be evil...because that's still within us and needs to be suppressed - sometimes we forget to suppress and up it pops"

You're either racist or you aren't. I believe in positive racism/discrimination i.e special treatment for those who feel they were wronged int he past.

Funnily enough the people who come up with these types of idea...liberals and bleeding heart types - continue to ignore the reality of modern day slavery still very popular in many middle eastern countries.

It's still part of some cultures yet they continue to defend such cultures, we can't say anything bad about them or they're all over us like a rash.

To me, if we're still struggling to get over this then it's stilla problem and still part of our culture. Racism will cease to exist when we finally stop making these distinctions, be they for sincere reasons or otherwise.

That's all.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

If you do not understand why we have Black History Month, then you do not understand history. Period.

History class, as it is taught in America, is white history, all day and every day.

Do not ever lose sight of the fact that history is written by the winners.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thejaybird

If you do not understand why we have Black History Month, then you do not understand history. Period.

History class, as it is taught in America, is white history, all day and every day.

America was mainly settled by white people, so American History would logically be dominated by whites.

But black history month is not about education. Its about guilting the nation on injustices that happened generations ago. Slavery, civil rights, etc was all taught to me in the public school curriculum, so why add an extra 28 day of black history. Its mind numbing.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

originally posted by: Thejaybird

America was mainly settled by white people, so American History would logically be dominated by whites.

But black history month is not about education. Its about guilting the nation on injustices that happened generations ago. Slavery, civil rights, etc was all taught to me in the public school curriculum, so why add an extra 28 day of black history. Its mind numbing.

All that was explained to you earlier but you stuck cotton balls in your ears .

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Its weird that despite all the evidence to the contrary people still think black history begins and ends with slavery, never contributed anything of value to civilisation and is just an excuse to guilt people.

edit on 27-1-2016 by MagnaCarta2015 because: spelling correction

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

Its weird that despite all the evidence to the contrary people still think black history begins and ends with slavery, never contributed anything of value to civilisation and is just an excuse to guilt people.

Because for "some" everything should be about them being at the center.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Hi Spider,

I've actually just been looking at a few syllabus (es / syllabi?) for Black History Month and there are some pretty damn interesting topics in there (as well as some extremely tedious topics - i mean The History of Hip-Hop - really?).

I stll don't really get the need to differentiate though. Surely for a society to become more cohesive it should just be part of the History syllabus, rather than denoted as "Black History Month". By calling it that, it is already seperating itself from the rest of the syllabus........and i find that rather sad in the world's superpower in the 21st century.

Move on, just include it as part of the syllabus and sooner rather than later there will be no big debate about it every year, it will just be an accepted part of the History programme.

That way, you get to use your parameter shifting abilities to include Africa and other ancient history!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join