It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six GOP Hopefuls Vow To Enshrine Anti-Gay Discrimination Into Law

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

your statement that the U.S. "has been" ruled by religion for "the entirety of its existance" is demonstrably false.

"if i could conceive that general government might ever be so administered as to render of conscience insecure, i beg you will be persuaded, that NO ONE WOULD BE MORE ZEALOUS THAN MYSELF TO ESTABLISH EFFECTUAL BARRIERS AGAINST THE HORRORS OF SPIRITUAL TYRANNY,..." -George Wasington

this is my favorite episode of nlbs: #48 the united states in not, and never was, a christian nation. i recommend checking it out please.

m.youtube.com...

educate yourself

edit on 19-12-2015 by LordSnow21 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2015 by LordSnow21 because: to add

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
It doesn't give special rights to the religious. It clearly states religious belief or moral conviction.

The only way it protects those with moral convictions is if those moral convictions are about gay people marrying or having sex, neither one of which is anyone's business.

This is a discrimination free-for-all against gay people, brought to you by the "good" people of the extremist Christian right.

No matter how you want to try and spin it, the government cannot force people to do something that goes against their beliefs, which is neither yours nor the government's business. Keep your extreme left God the state out of people's business.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Do you believe that a government should be "taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that: (1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or (2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage?"

No. We already don't do that. This bill would be giving Christian folk more special privileges to circumvent the law.

If we said no to giving the KKK special exemptions, would you say that was discrimination against the KKK?
If Christians wanted to bring back stoning people in the street and we said no, would you call that discrimination against Christians?

Your "I know you are but what am I" logic doesn't work. You tried it on another thread and you rode that into the ground. That was the first time I have ever walked away from a debate out of sheer boredom.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Heres hoping that this proposal for a new law is just pandering for votes by the right for election day.

I find it sad that people are using their freedoms (to vote) to deny freedoms (discrimination) to others.

Most anti-discrimination laws are frivolous anyway.

Let PRIVATE businesses decide who they want to serve.

Let them publicly say that they won't serve gays, blacks, latinos, etc

Let them go out of business when the people decide to not shop at that business anymore

(post by LesMisanthrope removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

a reply to: Abysha

And what law exactly does this give Christians privileges to circumvent?

Discrimination laws. You realize that Jim Crow is no longer in effect, right?

And speaking of Jim Crow, that was the same argument. Segregation had its foundation in the Christian church and they made that same argument about protecting their Christian rights.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

And speaking of Jim Crow, that was the same argument. Segregation had its foundation in the Christian church and they made that same argument about protecting their Christian rights.

Which discrimination law? This has nothing to do with Jim Crow. Try your straw men elsewhere.

link   

link   

originally posted by: OhOkYeah

Heres hoping that this proposal for a new law is just pandering for votes by the right for election day.

I find it sad that people are using their freedoms (to vote) to deny freedoms (discrimination) to others.

Let them go out of business when the people decide to not shop at that business anymore

That have been discussed to death. That won't ever work.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Which discrimination law? This has nothing to do with Jim Crow. Try your straw men elsewhere.

Ok... how about you tell us what you think this law does.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I still think this is a good article on sneaky laws. And there's a video.

WATCH: A Field Guide for Identifying Sneaky, Homophobic Laws

While LGBT Americans are busy celebrating the spread of marriage equality, homophobic lawmakers have yet another trick up their sleeve. A new trend hitting legislatures across the country: sneaky laws that erode civil rights for LGBT citzens without ever actually mentioning LGBT people, or even same-sex marriage.

It's a clever strategic move, since it would be unconstitutional to call out gays and lesbians specifically in a law that revokes civil rights. So anti-equality politicians have figured out how to cleverly word new laws that still manage to target sexual orientation for discrimination. www.advocate.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

That's not an argument., for future reference.

link   
a reply to: LordSnow21

how can these rubes be so blind as not to see that turning their religion into law to dictate how others need to live their lives is no different whatsoever than sharia law? this hypocracy is truly mind boggeling, even embarassing.

Right!

The GOP is actually running around stoning people to death,cutting kids in half, killing their daughters for dating a 'westerner' .

That is when they are not throwing gays off rooftops, and beating them half to death, and wrapping snakes around their heads.

Why yes people it's like 'totally' comparable.

Edited to add:

Forgot the five witness's to prove RAPE.
edit on 19-12-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   

Go read it. Simple.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

No. We already don't do that. This bill would be giving Christian folk more special privileges to circumvent the law.

Remember your statement. Let's see you back it up.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Go read it. Simple.

I have. I get it.

The law gives Christians special exemptions to break the law. This is why I would like to hear your interpretation of what it actually does.

Discrimination is illegal. This law would allow Christians to discriminate. Therefore, this law would allow Christians to break the law. How does it not say that to you?

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: OhOkYeah

That have been discussed to death. That won't ever work.

Why? You're afraid that people will still shop at the business?

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

The law gives Christians special exemptions to break the law. This is why I would like to hear your interpretation of what it actually does.

Discrimination is illegal. This law would allow Christians to discriminate. Therefore, this law would allow Christians to break the law. How does it not say that to you?

False.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

False.

Oh. Ok.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Oh. Ok.

It's as simple as showing me this law. Why won't you do it?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join