It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six GOP Hopefuls Vow To Enshrine Anti-Gay Discrimination Into Law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Six GOP Hopefuls Vow To Enshrine Anti-Gay Discrimination Into Law

So - many of you still think the GOP is not pushing theocratic policies.....that there is no such thing as the Theocrats. This will hopefully help you understand that it's not imaginary.

Let's begin with sourced material:

There is a thing called The First Amendment Defense Act:

In the wake of the Supreme Court's gay marriage ruling, anti-gay Religious Right groups rallied around a piece of legislation known as the First Amendment Defense Act, which would prohibit the federal government from "taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that: (1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or (2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage."

In essence, the law would give individuals and businesses a license to openly discriminate against gay people and others in the name of "religious liberty," so naturally anti-gay groups have lined up in support of the legislation.

- See more at: www.rightwingwatch.org...

Cruz, Rubio, Carson, Fiorina, Huckabee, and Santorum:

“If elected, I pledge to push for the passage of the First Amendment Defense Act (FADA) and sign it into law during the first 100 days of my term as President.”

So far, six candidates have signed the pledge:

• Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas)

• Senator Marco Rubio (R-Florida)

• Dr. Ben Carson

• Carly Fiorina

• Former Senator Rick Santorum (R-Pennsylvania)

• Former Governor Mike Huckabee (R-Arkansas)

- See more at: www.rightwingwatch.org...

Here's what the ACLU has to say about it:
www.aclu.org...

The Disingenuous First Amendment Defense Act Is Indiana on Steroids
Its parade of horribles would:

allow federal contractors or grantees, including those that provide important social services like homeless shelters or drug treatment programs, to turn away LGBT people or anyone who has an intimate relationship outside of a marriage

let commercial landlords violate longstanding fair housing laws by refusing housing to a single mother based on the religious belief that sexual relations are properly reserved for marriage

permit a university to continue to receive federal financial assistance even when it fires an unmarried teacher simply for becoming pregnant

permit government employees to discriminate against married same-sex couples and their families – federal employees could refuse to process tax returns, visa applications, or Social Security checks for all married same-sex couples

allow businesses to discriminate by refusing to let gay or lesbian employees care for their sick spouse, in violation of family medical leave laws

Creeping Christian Evangelicalism....no different from creeping Sharia, folks....or Jim Crow....

Why can't Americans just leave the bedroom activities of others alone? Have we really not had enough of this? Can we just move on?

If anyone isn't clear on why I think this is a dreadful, backward idea, please ask. Meanwhile, I'd like your feedback on it, especially in relation to the upcoming election.
Does this sway your intentions of voting in either direction (such as - toward or against your 'favorites'?)

(if I missed that it had already been posted, please point me to whatever other thread is addressing it, and let's discuss)

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The latest attempt to formalize bigotry into US law, yay.

I find it especially ironic that this comes from the very same people who spend a lot of time beating their chests about how they "stand up for personal freedom". I guess, as usual, they mean freedoms they agree with.

There is no way on this Earth I would ever vote for any person who is part of the current conservative movement in the US. They have gone entirely off the deep end and I think are demonstrating an interesting form of mass insanity.

But I do believe it is just a cultural extinction burst (if you don't know what an extinction burst is, here is one article among many available). The problem with cultural extinction bursts is that they last a lot longer than doggy ones, and the "dogs" (in this case modern US conservatives... don't get in a huff about the label "dogs", I prefer dogs to most humans) are extremely dangerous.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Open_Minded Skeptic

I find it especially ironic that this comes from the very same people who spend a lot of time beating their chests about how they "stand up for personal freedom". I guess, as usual, they mean freedoms they agree with.

So do I.
The derp (aka cognitive dissonance --- a term they love to use against 'liberals') is strong with these people.
edit on 12/19/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
So when the candidates were constantly talking about keeping America safe, this is the plan? To keep Americans safe from the gays? I'm sure you will all sleep better tonight. No I forget you obviously have a lot to fear in america. Land of the free home of the brave. Lmao

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

OP's on the topic of US politics are simply beyond stupid. The government will do whatever it wants. Get over it. Elections are a sham and no one with a brain is listening or watching anymore.

The best politicians are the ones that stay off the damned TV.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I just laugh and laugh and laugh when they do things like this. It just drives thinking people away from them. It energizes their rabid bigot base which in my opinion is a lot smaller than they'd like to think. I think they're going to find out how small in the next election.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

OP's on the topic of US politics are simply beyond stupid. The government will do whatever it wants. Get over it. Elections are a sham and no one with a brain is listening or watching anymore.

And yet - you posted.

My 'beyond-stupid' OP may help open some eyes; whether you like it or approve of it or not is moot.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Our society has become more feudal. Not less. Instead of electing people who represent everyone, we elect people who only represent our specific demographic.

We can see this with the left and the right.

This is why I dislike all politicians. Gay people work, pay taxes, raise families, contribute to society. But they are being treated less than the illegal aliens that the left lauds so much.

Yes, the right sucks. But voting just for the left won't solve anything.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yes, the right sucks. But voting just for the left won't solve anything.

Remains to be seen, doesn't it? What do you suggest for a solution? Doing nothing?

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

F & S for the OP!

Religious bigotry runs fast and deep in GOP these days and the Trump campaign has served to enhance their willingness to openly express their true desire to legislate a "Christian" version of Sharia law here in the U.S..

And I'm supposed to be worried about Muslims taking over my country?

Give me a break!

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I would never in a million years vote for any of those bigots.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DarkestConspiracyMoon

Good to know.

Neither would I, and I'm optimistic that as other voters are advised of these plans, they will see how awful it would be.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Vote 3rd parties, and like Diogenes, keep looking for an honest politician.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

The best politicians are the ones that stay off the damned TV.

Vote for Bernie.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Do you believe that a government should be "taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that: (1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or (2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage?"

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

which would prohibit the federal government from "taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that: (1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or (2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage."
Interesting that this would also make it legal to discriminate for extra-marital sex.
edit on 19-12-2015 by AshOnMyTomatoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Remains to be seen, doesn't it?

Seriously?

The same "sides" have been debating the same fake issues for generations and things only get worse, never better, regardless of who's in power.

You have to be intelligent enough to have noticed this by now.

Remains to be seen? We've been seeing the same rhetoric from both sides for the entire post-war era. It doesn't change, it's just recycled with a new flavor for each successive generation, and we get screwed every single time.

Remains to be seen? Are you sure your eyes are open? How long have you lived in this country?

The sheepish partisan bickering on ATS is dumbfounding. You either know better than this, and are willingly part of the manipulation (and therefore can't be trusted), or really are completely blind to what's happening (and therefore can't be trusted).
edit on 12/19/15 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

Yeah, why worry about Muslims and the dreaded Sharia law when the Christians that are HERE NOW are entrenched in our government and CLEARLY hyper-focused on implementing their own brand of religion-based government?

Religion + Government... What could go wrong?

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Vote 3rd parties, and like Diogenes, keep looking for an honest politician.

But be sure to shun any of those people that steal candy from children.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join