It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six GOP Hopefuls Vow To Enshrine Anti-Gay Discrimination Into Law

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Was it a government office? I'm not too familiar with the case.

Yes county clerk. There were tons of huge threads about Kim Davis on here.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope

Quoting from the original post...

"Its parade of horribles would:

allow federal contractors or grantees, including those that provide important social services like homeless shelters or drug treatment programs, to turn away LGBT people or anyone who has an intimate relationship outside of a marriage

let commercial landlords violate longstanding fair housing laws by refusing housing to a single mother based on the religious belief that sexual relations are properly reserved for marriage

permit a university to continue to receive federal financial assistance even when it fires an unmarried teacher simply for becoming pregnant

permit government employees to discriminate against married same-sex couples and their families – federal employees could refuse to process tax returns, visa applications, or Social Security checks for all married same-sex couples

allow businesses to discriminate by refusing to let gay or lesbian employees care for their sick spouse, in violation of family medical leave laws"

Those aren't rights. Go somewhere else for services.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Actually come to think of it, this bill was probably because of Kim Davis. Huckabee signed the pledge.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
The battle has been won for gay marriage. It's legal.

It's not gay marriage. It's Marriage Equality, meaning everyone has the right to marry.

LGBT are still discriminated against. They do not have full equal rights the same as heterosexuals.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Yes county clerk. There were tons of huge threads about Kim Davis on here.

As a government employee she must give those licences. If she didn't agree with it, she could have stepped aside and let someone else sign the certificate. If she didn't step aside, then she's screwed.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

It's not gay marriage. It's Marriage Equality, meaning everyone has the right to marry.

LGBT are still discriminated against. They do not have full equal rights the same as heterosexuals.

I'll make sure to use the politically correct terminology next time. Thanks for the clarification.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I'm getting off this thread, I've said what I needed to say, and have nothing to add.

Best of luck to you - I certainly hope you are trying to learn and understand others, rather than sitting on a high horse and speaking down to others. I understand you have your own opinions and may have not found a reason to change those opinions - I have similar views that cannot be easily swayed, I just hope you're open minded enough to consider another's point of view, and truly try to understand where a person is coming from. If you still hold your same opinion, so be it, not everyone agrees on all matters, nor would I expect such a world.

I suppose putting yourself in someone else's shoes is another good thing to think about, this applies to me, you, everyone. If I owned a shop and I didn't want to serve someone - Should I have the right to reject service?
But if a lot of religious people formed opinions about who you are, and desired to reject you service based on those religious beliefs, would you find it reasonable if you could not find a place in which you could be a patron?

Peace, members. I'll see you in a different thread

Deadlyhope

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Thankfully, the bill’s chances of passage are low. Even if it were to get through Congress, President Obama would surely veto it. Still, its symbolic power will embolden those looking for a legal justification to discriminate — whether they are individuals like Kim Davis, the county clerk in Kentucky who went to jail rather than obey the law and issue same-sex marriage licenses, or states, where similar legislation has a much better chance of becoming law. In Indiana and Arkansas, laws protecting such discrimination have already passed.

Many religious leaders and clergy members are themselves deeply disturbed by the proposed legislation; more than 3,000 signed a letter opposing it on the grounds that genuine religious liberty “does not allow us to harm or discriminate against others.” The supporters of this bill, who are so eager to talk about religious freedom, would do well to listen to the people they claim to represent.

G.O.P. Anti-Gay Bigotry Threatens First Amendment

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I'm getting off this thread, I've said what I needed to say, and have nothing to add.

Best of luck to you - I certainly hope you are trying to learn and understand others, rather than sitting on a high horse and speaking down to others. I understand you have your own opinions and may have not found a reason to change those opinions - I have similar views that cannot be easily swayed, I just hope you're open minded enough to consider another's point of view, and truly try to understand where a person is coming from. If you still hold your same opinion, so be it, not everyone agrees on all matters, nor would I expect such a world.

I suppose putting yourself in someone else's shoes is another good thing to think about, this applies to me, you, everyone. If I owned a shop and I didn't want to serve someone - Should I have the right to reject service?
But if a lot of religious people formed opinions about who you are, and desired to reject you service based on those religious beliefs, would you find it reasonable if you could not find a place in which you could be a patron?

Peace, members. I'll see you in a different thread

Deadlyhope

Yes. I disagree with you therefor I am evil. This is the attitude that stifles debate, and silences other viewpoints.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

a reply to: Deaf Alien

As per the text in the bill itself:

To prevent discriminatory treatment of any person on the basis of views held with respect to marriage.

I wager that since the legalization of gay marriage, a counter is required for religious people and institutions.

No a counter isn't required because the government cannot force a church to marry a gay couple because that would violate freedom of religion. This was written so those for profit marrying businesses so they can refuse their services to homosexuals something they do not have the right to do because they are not a church.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Oh for F's sake, I am so sick & tired of this religious excuse trash.

1.) It's not up to you where any consenting adult other than your better half sticks their junk, or what junk is stuck in theirs. STHU about it already, your religion doesn't trump someone else's bedroom preferences. What are you going to do, go in every bedroom in the country & make SURE everyone's not doing it married & missionary so you can discriminate accordingly?

2.) Creating a legally recognized religion is easier than the religious braindead realize. Something like this passes, and watch the explosion of new churches rubbing in full-on Christian bannings as a matter of making a point. Because most people are too stupid to see the forest through the trees, and have to learn the hard way that being a total self-righteous prick isn't the best way to have a good life by way of being on the receiving end of the drivel they dish out.

3.) Church. State. Separation. It exists, or at least will until the religious right gets their way.

4.) Let this be a lesson to the rest of the world --don't aspire to be like America. America keeps proving just how ass-backwards & mentally deficient it really is as a whole.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Hi new here. I agree with nth other that the circling around the issue is just circling around the issue. Here's the thing though, if a person goes onto a property and declares "I am GAY!!! Wooohoooo!!! youvegottaputupwithme DISCRIMINATIOn!!! DIsCRiMiNAtioN!!!" and in any other way acts distracting, what do you do then? We know some people hate republicans, what if this person makes it a POINT to do some subtle harrassment about how much lurid crap a person can handle, is this not offensive? People have strong "feelings" and yes there are theocrats but there are also democrats who would love for things to go their way because "people r like that n all." We can't have a monopoly just because. People debate what they do and feel what they feel.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Nyaih I agree with #2 and do get sick sometimes, of all the oh so righteous "feelings" on the right side, because its hasty. A good way to work around this is that people should be charged with harassment wherever they do harass in an inappropriate place. Im not talking about men and women, stuff, things, and lawsuits (zzzz wrong subject) but just more when someone bursts in an office or something, doing anything where people can't get to work. I don't think it needs a code.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: breakingbs

Here's the thing though, if a person goes onto a property and declares "I am GAY!!! Wooohoooo!!! youvegottaputupwithme DISCRIMINATIOn!!! DIsCRiMiNAtioN!!!" and in any other way acts distracting, what do you do then?

It wouldn't matter if the declared they were gay, republican, democrat, christian, muslim, black, white, yellow, orange, or purple.

It doesn't matter what they declare they are, but if they act like an ass I would treat them like they are an ass and send them away.

Equally!
edit on 19-12-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Welcome to Ats, you might find the introductions board a good place to write some of your first posts! Let people get to know you a little if you'd like, let us know how you became a member, what brought you here, things that interest you. Not mandatory or anything, just get a little sense of community if you'd like

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Do you really think gay folk (yourself excluded) wake up every morning and mentally confirm their sexuality?

I do when I look at my sexy wife...lol

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Here's the thing though, if a person goes onto a property and declares "I am GAY!!! Wooohoooo!!! youvegottaputupwithme DISCRIMINATIOn!!! DIsCRiMiNAtioN!!!" and in any other way acts distracting, what do you do then?

It wouldn't matter if the declared they were gay, republican, democrat, christian, muslim, black, white, yellow, orange, or purple.

It doesn't matter what they declare they are, but if they act like an ass I would treat them like they are an ass and send them away.

Equally!

Honestly, the worst customers I ever had were self-important Christians (only applies to this type).

Rudely and obnoxiously trying to get me to donate my services in the name of Christ. And they were not gracious in my refusal.

Yes, I threw them out.

edit on 19-12-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope
Awww.

Actually I will, and it makes perfect sense, when i....oh damn it. Procrastination. Staring at the walls with energy drink...mmmm...get to at some point...

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Quoting from the original post...

"Its parade of horribles would:

allow federal contractors or grantees, including those that provide important social services like homeless shelters or drug treatment programs, to turn away LGBT people or anyone who has an intimate relationship outside of a marriage

let commercial landlords violate longstanding fair housing laws by refusing housing to a single mother based on the religious belief that sexual relations are properly reserved for marriage

permit a university to continue to receive federal financial assistance even when it fires an unmarried teacher simply for becoming pregnant

permit government employees to discriminate against married same-sex couples and their families – federal employees could refuse to process tax returns, visa applications, or Social Security checks for all married same-sex couples

allow businesses to discriminate by refusing to let gay or lesbian employees care for their sick spouse, in violation of family medical leave laws"

Those aren't rights. Go somewhere else for services.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand the concept of discrimination ?
When will it be ok to refuse to make a wedding cake for black simply because you are anti black people?
What if we started refusing services to people based on their religion?

I know some would be ok with that if it was Islam being discriminated against.

Haters going to hate!

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join