It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six GOP Hopefuls Vow To Enshrine Anti-Gay Discrimination Into Law

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Let's read the bill carefully:

Prohibits the federal government from taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that: (1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or (2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.

That is already covered by the 1st Amendment. It's like giving them the right two times. Defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Ok let's see what they mean by "discriminatory action":

alter the federal tax treatment of, cause any tax, penalty, or payment to be assessed against, or deny, delay, or revoke certain tax exemptions of any such person;
disallow a deduction of any charitable contribution made to or by such person;
withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or otherwise deny any federal grant, contract, subcontract, cooperative agreement, loan, license, certification, accreditation, employment, or similar position or status from or to such person;
or withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or otherwise deny any benefit under a federal benefit program.

So nothing changes. The only thing I could see that people would have problems with is the federal grant.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Yeah, why worry about Muslims and the dreaded Sharia law when the Christians that are HERE NOW are entrenched in our government and CLEARLY hyper-focused on implementing their own brand of religion-based government?

We are too busy worrying about the true biggest threat to the USA, climate change, as determined by Obama.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: OhOkYeah

Why? You're afraid that people will still shop at the business?

No. Are you?

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The GOPnis also anti-pediphilia too. They let sexual partners get discriminated by age. The GOPers a bunch of agist fascist....

If a 14 year old boy can 'know' he's a girl, how transphobic is it not to let them decide the age of the person they are sleeping with.

Equality for everyone....

(post by OhOkYeah removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

No matter how you want to try and spin it, the government cannot force people to do something that goes against their beliefs, which is neither yours nor the government's business. Keep your extreme left God the state out of people's business.

They really do not understand the first amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

It's that part in bold they simply can not grasp.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Segregation is the best thing that could happen for race relations in this country.

Wow that was brutally honest.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Abysha

Oh. Ok.

It's as simple as showing me this law. Why won't you do it?

www.congress.gov...

First line says:

Prohibits the federal government from taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that: (1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or (2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It's that part in bold they simply can not grasp.

It goes against their anti-Christian world view.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Show me the law that the Christians are going to circumvent if this bill passes. You made the argument without evidence. Now provide the evidence. That's all I ask.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

It goes against their anti-Christian world view.

They are against the first amendment?

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Show me the law that the Christians are going to circumvent if this bill passes. You made the argument without evidence. Now provide the evidence. That's all I ask.

NO! I am not jumping through anymore hoops just to appease your weird Peewee Herman logic.

I don't care what you believe. It's really none of my business.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: OhOkYeah

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Why? You're afraid that people will still shop at the business?

No. Are you?

Why would I be? Segregation is the best thing that could happen for race relations in this country.

There are plenty of conservatives that agree with you!! What kind of camps would you suggest?

edit on 19-12-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

They are against the first amendment?

I hope not. What I mean is, we're talking strictly about "extreme-right christians", but fail to mention it applies to all religious denominations.

link   

You have yet to respond to anything I've said, I have a feeling you're just wanting to pick a fight.

Separation of church and state and just as much the law as is freedom of religion.

I am free to have Christian values, morals, beliefs, I am free to worship in any non harmful way I see fit, I am guaranteed these rights, and I have yet to see anyone in this thread try to argue that my rights should be denied.

Why, then, is it okay for legislation to be passed that denies rights to other people, because those people do not follow the specific morals of some senators religion? Separation of church and state, and the right to privacy both make it very illegal to interfere with the lives of every day citizens, for no other reason than religious convictions.

There's a process that exists to offer up new legislation and laws and if I believed our senators were good people, I would say leave it up to them, all of them, to debate topics of morality. Morality certainly does exist within laws, just not some Christians specific flavor of morality...but to attempt to make such laws and promise to make such laws if in office is just ludicrous.

You better believe if my religious rights are ever attacked, I'll put up a fight.

You also better believe if some powerful men justify their prejudice with their hypocritical religious beliefs, I'll also fight.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

NO! I am not jumping through anymore hoops just to appease your weird Peewee Herman logic.

I don't care what you believe. It's really none of my business.

It's because you cannot. Because there is no such law. You're arguing in favor of falsity and you're guilty of spreading mistruths to further your political agenda. Go back to being bored.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

You have yet to respond to anything I've said, I have a feeling you're just wanting to pick a fight.

Separation of church and state and just as much the law as is freedom of religion.

I am free to have Christian values, morals, beliefs, I am free to worship in any non harmful way I see fit, I am guaranteed these rights, and I have yet to see anyone in this thread try to argue that my rights should be denied.

Why, then, is it okay for legislation to be passed that denies rights to other people, because those people do not follow the specific morals of some senators religion? Separation of church and state, and the right to privacy both make it very illegal to interfere with the lives of every day citizens, for no other reason than religious convictions.

There's a process that exists to offer up new legislation and laws and if I believed our senators were good people, I would say leave it up to them, all of them, to debate topics of morality. Morality certainly does exist within laws, just not some Christians specific flavor of morality...but to attempt to make such laws and promise to make such laws if in office is just ludicrous.

You better believe if my religious rights are ever attacked, I'll put up a fight.

You also better believe if some powerful men justify their prejudice with their hypocritical religious beliefs, I'll also fight.

I didn't see your posts. I left for a few hours.

What rights are being denied here? People keep repeating it but no one has showed me any such right. Would you do the honor?
edit on 19-12-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

(post by OhOkYeah removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: LordSnow21

Right!

The GOP is actually running around stoning people to death,cutting kids in half, killing their daughters for dating a 'westerner' .

That is when they are not throwing gays off rooftops, and beating them half to death, and wrapping snakes around their heads.

Why yes people it's like 'totally' comparable.

Edited to add:

Forgot the five witness's to prove RAPE.

i say it's a slippery slope. if you people have proven anything its that if youre given an inch youll take a mile. i'll give you te benifit of the doubt and assume thered be no stonings, but how long would it be before you guys started criminalizing anything that your ancient religious text dosnt agree with? why do you hate freedom, liberty and equality? why? what is it that you gain from blatent oppression?

i'm going to quote the father of our nation for you, just to clear up the obvious confusion.

" of all the animosities which have existed among mankind, those which are caused by a difference in sentiments in religion appear to be the most inveterate and distressing, and ought to be depreciated.." George Washington

or how about this one?

"..no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny.." - George Washington

if you zealots want to pack up, head out and find yourselves a new place to create a whole new country unburdened by the freedoms this one was founded on i think thats very industrious of you, good luck. dont let the door hit you in the # on your way out.

edit on 19-12-2015 by LordSnow21 because: spelling

edit on 19-12-2015 by LordSnow21 because: to add

edit on 19-12-2015 by LordSnow21 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2015 by LordSnow21 because: spelling

edit on 19-12-2015 by LordSnow21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The battle has been won for gay marriage. It's legal. Hell even Obama said marriage should be between a man and a woman. But the right for gay marriage is there. There is no right to force others to perform that marriage, whether priest, rabbi or imam. Debate their beliefs; do not take away their individual rights.
edit on 19-12-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join