It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa releases stunning new image of Earth taken from a spacecraft orbiting the moon

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Is it my eyes or is this moon "rotating" or changing angle or something? It's approx time-lapse over a less than 6 hour period:

Think of it in a simple way.
The Moons south pole and the Earths south pole point the same direction in space.
When the Moon comes up in the east, the Moons south pole must point slightly westward from your perspective.
When it's at it's highest, it's south pole points toward your south.
You can guess the rest.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardBoiled
a reply to: Zaphod58

Can you draw that division line into the pic in question?

You're misunderstanding how light works, with all light sources, including the sun there isn't a hard and fast division between light and no light and instead there's a gradient, I could explain this with some mathematical formulas but observation is probably the best teacher here. If you're in a room with a single light, go aim it at your wall (preferably with an object between the light and wall) and observe the shadow, it won't have a hard edge instead it will be fuzzy and the light/shadow will be on a gradient. You'll see this effect regardless of the light type, though different emitters will have different gradients. You'll also notice, if you move the light that a low angle between the light and object will produce a longer shadow on your wall.

You probably see this same effect in action every single day, shadows are smallest and the day is brightest around noon while shadows are long and the day is dark at dusk/dawn. If you watch a sunset you'll also probably notice that the light falls off rather rapidly as the sun descends. You can think of this satellite as having taken the picture in the area of the moon that's in sunrise/sunset. During that time the light source is coming in at a low angle and as such will only illuminate the tops of hills that can catch the light.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: imd12c4funn
So a special process created a representation....

Bob Ross also uses a special process to create a representation. Do I believe NASA took real pictures of earth? Do I believe that Bob Ross' paintings are of real landscapes?
No, and No.

How do you define a photograph then? Does it have to be an analog input onto a slice of film? By that definition no digital photograph is real. Even if that's your definition, what techniques are "real" photography? Wide angle lenses? long/short exposure? High/low light? What light do you even allow? Infrared? Ultraviolet? Visible?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Is the Moon really that black and grey? The image seems fudged.

edit on 20-12-2015 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: OrionHunterX

In that light, yes.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Heres what I think,

I think that the photo is potentially fake...but wait, there's a twist!

Im not a flat-earther *GASP*

If you ask me I think the flat earth phenomena that has spread through many conspiracy sites, I think its an agenda like many before it only its almost intentionally blasphemous as the anti-mother of all conspiracies in that its such an absurd and idiotic idea, its truly insulting to human intelligence to take it seriously.

I think NASA is a front, its not the real space program that really makes huge technological advances, that would be the black space programs. All of NASA's people are either brainwashed or in the dark completely about whats going on (somehow?).

I think that the photos are made to look fake intentionally so that it can add fuel to the mess of hoax conspiracies by giving the "conspiracy community" a bad name, like hippies being "tree huggers", you know people who care about the planet and nature. "So conspiracy theorists think the earth is flat"...something like that.

So its just a big mind # game being played on the masses and I sincerely believe at the level of true power within the 'cabal' they literally have a ball doing this.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ZacharyW

I think flat-earth is a stupid idea spread by stupid people who like the attention.

What makes my thought better than yours?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
To allow people a comparison here are two earthrises captured by Japan's Kaguya probe:

and for another size comparison, here is lunar orbiter's view of Earth from 1966 - the link shows the view from different lenses

www.lpi.usra.edu...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Composite/CGI, as usual...

Why not release the ACTUAL f***ing photo that it captured?

NASA even admits it's just a "composite" image on their Facebook post yesterday.
edit on 20-12-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

Sweet CGI isn't it.

Sure doenst look right in how its taken but oh well, Nasa said it is what it is, so. Derp!

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Observationalist

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

Anyone else see the wolf face made with the clouds and shadows. One of the eyes is just under the bulged out part of Africa. I don't have any fancy editors to outline it maybe someone else could if you guys see it.

Maybe a fox

I see Batman with his head tilted back after the Joker dropped a rock on his head. Once you see it

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Here's a weather satellite shot of Europe on October 12th:

And here's the same ares in the 300Mb TIF view of Earth from the LRO:

edit on 20-12-2015 by onebigmonkey because: typo

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I think NASA is trapped by the photographic lies they told during the Apollo program. I don't know how much of their current program is a fraud, but I think a lot of it is. The United States is in a bad way. Keeping up a front, continuity of government, continuity of America's public profile, now means continuity of fraud, whether it is on the Kennedy assassination, 9/11, the war on drugs, the war on terrorism or the space program.

The whole country is psychotic. The motto of the US should be changed from "In God we trust" to "In cognitive dissonance we trust."

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit
I think... I don't know...I think....

Is all you needed.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: onebigmonkey

I'm different.

I think.
edit on 20-12-2015 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

I think NASA is trapped by the photographic lies they told during the Apollo program.

Which ones would those be?

I don't know how much of their current program is a fraud, but I think a lot of it is.

Why would it be a fraud?

now means continuity of fraud, whether it is on the Kennedy assassination, 9/11, the war on drugs, the war on terrorism or the space program.

Except those happened, or are happening so where is the fraud?

The whole country is psychotic.

I guess I live in another country because where I am there are normal easy going people that are far from psychotic.

The motto of the US should be changed from "In God we trust" to "In cognitive dissonance we trust."

Maybe for you, but I will stick with In God We Trust.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Nope, you're just the same as all the other knee-jerk reactionaries who trot out the usual anti-NASA nonsense without any kind of demonstration of support for their opinions other than their personal politics.

While some of the contributors to this thread have provided information as to where the OP was taken, how it was taken, that the lighting conditions are correct and what we are seeing is factually accurate your contribution is "I don't like NASA".

You are welcome to your difference.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Care to elaborate why you believe it not to be true?

I can. It may have to do with the hoards of people who claim they worked for NASA. There seems to be many individuals who say NASA is full of sh*t. You can find Astronauts who will or did back up these claims. What the heck does that tell you, that they're disgruntled astronauts?...

When an agency controlling what the "truth" is, tells the world something, there's nobody else to ask. Who can you call? The EU space agency, China? They're all in cahoots together. They decide what we are to perceive as the truth, and, unless you have your own space agency, you'll never know - only what they want you to know. People should turn their faces away from the cell phone and t.v. for crying out loud. Look for answers instead of simply regurgitating what you've been told, if that's what you're doing.

Wake up people!!! Wake the eff up !!!

There's something unjust, going on.

Love to all - we're going to need it.
edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
a reply to: wildespace

Care to elaborate why you believe it not to be true?

I can. It may have to do with the hoards of people who claim they worked for NASA. There seems to be many individuals who say NASA is full of sh*t. You can find Astronauts who will or did back up these claims. What the heck does that tell you, that they're disgruntled astronauts?...

When an agency controlling what the "truth" is, tells the world something, there's nobody else to ask. Who can you call? The EU space agency, China? They're all in cahoots together. They decide what we are to perceive as the truth, and, unless you have your own space agency, you'll never know - only what they want you to know. People should turn their faces away from the cell phone and t.v. for crying out loud. Look for answers instead of simply regurgitating what you've been told, if that's what you're doing.

Wake up people!!! Wake the eff up !!!

There's something unjust, going on.

Love to all - we're going to need it.

So basically you're saying that everyone is telling you what you should believe, and because they're saying that they are wrong.

Then in the next sentence you tell everyone what they should believe.

How about you tell us why the facts as presented are wrong instead of telling us why you don't like the people telling you the facts?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrionHunterX
Is the Moon really that black and grey? The image seems fudged.

Actually, they had to brighten the Moon's surface up a bit for this image. The Moon (on average) has the reflectivity of asphalt or graphite.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join