It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa releases stunning new image of Earth taken from a spacecraft orbiting the moon

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

The UV photo was taken from the lunar surface, and I'm not sure where you are not seeing a circular shape but I certainly can.

The moon also has considerable gravitational anomalies that cause problems for orbiting craft - why is it that when you look up at the moon it seems to be a sphere and not a distorted lump?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
The Earth photo in this thread is more realistic and beautiful, than this other one that was discussed here on ATS back on August 5th. August 5th Thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...
That one looks kind of unreal, doesn't it?

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

if that's a real photo then that confirms that the moon landing was a hoax. The earth is 10 times bigger in that photo plus looks totally different than the original supposed moon landing pics. Plus the moon itself looks different.

Wow. Just wow.
So is that "10" an exact figure?
10 times bigger than what?
The moon itself looks different? Than what?
How many times has this already been answered?
Are you pulling all these intelligent thoughts from the orifice on the upper end of your anatomy, or the other one?

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
OK, one more time with feeling:

We really did go to the moon.
The Earth is shaped like a globe.
Water really does form into a round ball in zero gravity.
The moon orbits the earth.
The earth orbits the sun.
The fact that some of you can't seem to grasp it doesn't make it any LESS real

Santa and the Easter bunny are NOT real
Man made global warming is NOT real
The fact that you believe they are doesn't make them real.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Reading this thread, I can literally feel my faith in humanity slowly trickling away.

What's sad is that, with all the genuine scientific research going on and with all the hard work being put into it by mission teams and engineers, all it takes is some arm-chair expert drop a "looks fake to me, NASA are lying", and we feel forced to defend and justify what shouldn't really need any defending or justification.

Calling out these people on their claims is a waste of time. Sometimes I feel like just letting them wallow in their ignorance, and concentrating on discussing the actual mission/images/results with people who know what they're talking about (such as ngchunter, erictheawful, Armap, etc.)

~~~

So yeah, I myself would be very interested in seeing the original WAC and NAC images. Will those images satisfy the "fake" crowd? Very unlikely, as they can happily repeat the same with absolutely anything you give them.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
another composite shot and added cgi not an actual one shot pic.....

seems Matthew Powerlands claims are becoming more and more valid.....

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Most times I post not to try and convince people that are making the wild claims. People like that have pretty much made up their minds, or are so lacking in their knowledge of basic science that it's shocking.

I mostly post what I do for those who are lurking or are on the fence.

A image is posted, and many jump up screaming "FAKE!" and the reasons they claim are hilarious at best, but is also because they didn't pay attention to what was put out in the source of the image, like the fact it's a composite (an image made up of 2 or more images).

The link in the OP, if one looks under the image in the link at the Daily Mail, there is an orange bordered box that clearly says the following:

In this composite image we see Earth appear to rise over the lunar horizon from the viewpoint of the spacecraft, with the center of the Earth just off the coast of Liberia (at 4.04 degrees North, 12.44 degrees West).

The large tan area in the upper right is the Sahara Desert, and just beyond is Saudi Arabia.

The Atlantic and Pacific coasts of South America are visible to the left.

On the moon, we get a glimpse of the crater Compton, which is located just beyond the eastern limb of the moon, on the lunar farside.

Source

It's quite funny to see people exclaim: "What? FAKE! The moon doesn't look the same as in other images!"

Yah, well neither does your neighborhood and other parts of the Earth, and your neighborhood will even look different during different times of the day and year.....duh.

How high up you are makes a big factor too.

As we know, some of the best astronomy pictures are a composite or stacked images, it's what brings out the finer details and colors.

We do this with images of the moon that we find so pretty. Any one goes out and takes a snap shot of the moon with their regular old 35mm camera is going to be very disappointed to see that the moon shows up as a very, very small image. The really cool looking ones are normally a composite of a telephoto zoomed image of the moon stacked with a wide angle shot of the land.

I can't convince people on here. I can only provide information to make others stop and learn is all.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Let it go. It's not your responsibility to change people's minds or lead them to informed opinions.

Look at the Moon Hoax threads. There are thousands of comments that essentially reduce down to 'Yes it is' and 'No, it isn't.' Do you think it's worth being disheartened because someone, somewhere wants to believe we've never been off this planet? It doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. Also, if someone, somewhere hasn't the intellectual muscles to recognise evidence when it's so abundant, it's really not your problem.

Keep on posting because people are interested in such things. Just don't kid yourself that you're the last line of defence against ignorance

Here, give this a listen and smile - Chris Hadfield on Desert Island Discs. It was a great show that aired this weekend.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

the problem is that the idiots immediatly jump on any claim that has not been addressed or rebutted with the victory cry :

" see they debunkers have no answer to < insert idiocy > "

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: Kandinsky

the problem is that the idiots immediatly jump on any claim that has not been addressed or rebutted with the victory cry :

" see they debunkers have no answer to < insert idiocy > "

Let 'em

I used to chase my own tail in the Ancient & Lost Civs forum and fought every day against ridiculous claims. It wears a guy out. Wildespace is showing signs of fatigue. I'm saying relax. People are stuck in their ways and don't change. Relax, catch your breath and fight again when the mood returns.

Somebody else always takes up the slack

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I think my favorites are: "NASA LIES!"

And when they say that about an image that......had nothing to do with NASA, but was taken by someone else.

I love asking them, Okay.....can you show me where they lied? Excluding moon landings hoax theories and the like.

They can't. Every single time. They either do not reply, or change the subject.

I point out that NASA doesn't have a monopoly on space. Many other countries are out there (India sent a probe to Mars and sent back images....how cool is that?), Russia, Japan, China the ESA, etc, etc, and the answer I get is:

They're all in on it!

In on what?

I don't trust the government either. But there's a big difference between having an open mind, and having it so open that your brain is flopping around on the floor.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: hahalolatSPACE

ok - on what evidence do you discount this particular pic as " fake " - come on lets have a discussion .

ETA :

quotes for context :

. Nor, do I to be qualified in deciding what images appear real or fake. ......................

The image in the OP is clearly fake.

there that fixes the point of discussion
edit on 21-12-2015 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This reminds me of this Kaguya video from JAXA, the Japanese Space Agency, which was also taken near the day-night terminator:

edit on 12/21/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: hahalolatSPACE

oh dear - that escallated quickly

i dunno what was in the 2 deleted posts - but to get banned in less than 2 hours ???????????????????? .

i guess he // she didnt want to discuss the actual evidence

ho - hum

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

This is all CGI. Fake.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join