It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa releases stunning new image of Earth taken from a spacecraft orbiting the moon

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: Zaphod58

Unrealistic photo as is doesn't iclude the true pic of our planet.

source

Space is full of crap. In fact, there's around 500,000 bits of debris orbiting Earth at approximately 17,500mph.

You'd be hard-pressed to see any of those bits of debris from 238,000 miles away (or 215,000 miles away from the geosynchronous orbiting satellites).

Consider this:
Even the largest bits of stuff will be no larger than a satellite, which is about the size of a pickup truck (with the smallest bits of those 500,000 pieces being the size of a nut or a bolt). Now consider being able to see a pickup truck orbiting the Moon from the Earth -- even while using a telescope.

Maybe if you knew exactly where to look, and at the right time (when the sun is reflecting properly off of it) and with a powerful enough telescope. But a simple picture of the Earth would not easily reveal the bits of space junk floating around.

Here's a real-world example consider: Weather satellites at an altitude of 22,000 miles up show me clouds without me being able to see the junk that exists between the satellite and the cloud.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Not seeing them doen't mean the debris pollution doesn't exist.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

It means exactly what he said. It would be almost impossible to see satellites in orbit from the moon. Just as you can't see Apollo landers from Earth.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

You are ok with polluting the orbit of our planet as long as we don't see the debris? The time will come when this is too much and someone will care about rubbage being left around the earth.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Moving the goal posts won't make your original claim true.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

They can take a picture of the Earth from the moon that close up....but can't send a decent picture back from Cana.. i mean Mars.
Is it really that difficult to take 1 picture...1 genuine picture in one shot that we could actually buy into?

Not Another Suspicious Aspect

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: EA006

I suggest you look at these:

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

or check out India's Mars images.

Just because you don't buy it doesn't mean it isn't true.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Did anyone say that?

Did anyone say they were fine with the tonnes of space junk up there?

The point was that you appeared to not to believe the OP photo because you couldn't see any. Next clear night you get see if you can see the moon without constantly swatting away bits of dead satellite.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   

ah - thank you for rebutting your own claim .

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

no i am not " ok with polluting our own orbits "

but thats not the issue is it ?

you just upped the goal posts

why ?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: EA006
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

They can take a picture of the Earth from the moon that close up....but can't send a decent picture back from Cana.. i mean Mars.
Is it really that difficult to take 1 picture...1 genuine picture in one shot that we could actually buy into?

Not Another Suspicious Aspect

Where you've been while they've been releasing hundreds of thousands of Mars images for years?

From orbit: www.uahirise.org...

From the surface: mars.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: EA006

what would be the point of taking pics of earth from mars ?? - please explain

further - your inability to " buy into " something has zero bearing on its veracity

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Gotta say this thread has been entertaining and educational.
Whats happens.
One person makes a claim why we never went somewhere...
Another shows them evidence...
Original person makes another assumption..
Repeats.

Kinda shows how ignorant some are, lets hope they learn.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Maybe beacuse the Apollo landers didn't land on the moon. Ever.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

And yet we have tons of evidence that they did.

But that doesn't change the fact that you're not going to see satellite sized objects from over 200,000 miles unless every single object in orbit is in almost the same spot at the same time creating a cloud that could be barely seen, under the right conditions.
edit on 12/29/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I never said the junk isn't there; I just said it would be extremely unlikely to see any from that distance from Earth. I fully understand that space junk does exist (and a lot of it).

I was simply addressing your original claim that the image must be fake because we can't see orbiting space junk in that image.

edit on 12/29/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Maybe beacuse the Apollo landers didn't land on the moon. Ever.

The Apollo hardware is too small to be seen or resolved by a telescope 238,000 miles away. However, there are pictures of them taken from lunar orbit by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO).

The images we have of the Apollo hardware taken by the LRO was taken from an orbit between 31 miles to as low as 14 miles from the Moon's surface. 14 miles is quite a bit closer than 238,000 miles. Plus, the LRO has a high-res camera, which also helps.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Unrealistic photo as is doesn't iclude the true pic of our planet.

Space is full of crap. In fact, there's around 500,000 bits of debris orbiting Earth at approximately 17,500mph.

Just want to point out that you don't see that debris when shown pics from the ISS, so why would you think they are visible from the moon?

So how is it an unreal photo of Earth?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Wow...Really?

It is known and tracked...

Despite the small size of most of the objects in space, the U.S. and Russian military are able to keep track of a great deal of the mess. Objects as small as 4 inches (about 10 cm) can be seen by radars or optical telescopes on Earth. When preparing a launch, mission controllers screen the predicted post-launch orbit for potential collisions to avoid as much damage as possible. Similarly, crafts such as the space shuttle and the International Space Station can change their orbits if a larger object approaches.

www.space.com...

So exactly what is your point?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Kinda shows how ignorant some are, lets hope they learn.

I wouldn't bet on it...flat Earth has shown us this.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join