It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Kind of Hand Gun Do You Recommend?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

None-
Use a sword, firearms are cowardly and considered cheating

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: superluminal11

There are no rules when it comes to your life.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

1st Rule- My life isn't mine nor is it yours---yes even with a gun in my face or crammed down my throat.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: superluminal11

Um...okay not sure what that means but my life is mine and I will do what needs to be done to survive and if your is ever at risk then by all means just sit there and go thru your rule book to see what you should do.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: sg1642

Oh...

My...

God...

I just had a gungasm. Real? Or someones flight of fancy...a grenade launcher would land it in fantasy, but damn...I'd pay for that.

Can't be real surely?

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

here are some signs i like,

now on to the guns, i say why just one, i say two or more in different parts of the house. in well concealed places,if locked in a gun safe or a safe would cut down on valuable time in the effort of getting them and might alert the intruder.

now if children are in the house, most definitely secured but in a place that is quick easy to get to and to open without making to much noise.

i have four that are placed in places through the house that are easy to reach, that unless you knew where they were you would never see them. then i have my rifles in the safe, those only get pulled out if there's a problem in the yard, when the dogs start barking.

me, the go to gun for the bedroom is in a modified vehicle rack behind my headboard, a Tactical Mossberg 500 20ga,mod#54300 full stock, no sissy pistol grip. i got from a guy that was moving to california, and didn't want to take this one with him for a steal.

it's a ugly gun, but it can do the job loaded with 00 buck. i like it because it's lighter than the 590A1(when loaded, just about the same unloaded maybe a pound or so less) i have and doesn't kick ass hard, just right for when waking up and still a little sleepy before the adrenaline kicks in.

there are several manufacturers that make tactical shotguns, i like Mossberg cause it's the very best to me, and that i used earlier versions of them when i was in the Marine Corps. they also make the 500 in 410, just right for the wife if she doesn't like being kicked.

they also make a semi auto mod# #85360, been thinking about one.

as far as pistols i'm a old school guy, colt 1911, a berrita M9, another gun i got for a steal

edit on 6-12-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Thank you. Love the signs.
I'm consistently hearing Mossberg for shotguns.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

if you don't want to spend a whole lot on a tactical Mossberg, you might find their Maverick 88™ 12 Gauge at Academy Sports a fairly good price, less then 200 bucks.

Mossberg® Maverick® 88™ 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun

and then buy stocks and accessories to dress it up that are reasonably priced.

edit on 6-12-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I shoot a pretty fair amount. Hand guns are a mixed bag and difficult to know which one will suit you best. I really recommend going to a range and firing a number of their rental guns to see which feels better.

As far as home defense goes, and when considering a handgun consider a few things:
1. go full frame, much more accurate
2. Semi Autos can jam, a revolver fires every time.
3. When considering caliber a .40, .380 or 9mm gain you many more rounds in the magazine my Beretta px4 storm full frame holds 17 in the mag. The sub compact holds 10
4. A .45 acp on average holds 7-8 in the mag but is much more accurate in my experience

Overall, I would recommend a Kimber .45 4.5 inch barrel, or full frame. They are imo the best made semi auto in the world. Some get very pricey, but you can get a great one in your price range and you will never be disappointed in your choice.

Thanks. Never heard of the Kimber before, but will try one if the shop has one.
I'm making a list of all top recommendations to talk to the dealer about and we'll both try them.

Hiya Iamtat!

Kimbers are expensive and finicky. Not easy maintenance and very tight tolerances. Best shooting gun I own, Kimber tactical Pro II, 1200 new, holds only 8 rounds unless you get Tripp magazines which hold 10 rounds.

As I've said many, many times get either a revolver (i.e. S&W 642 airframe) that shoots .38 or .357. Holds 5 rounds and has no hammer, just a 13 pound trigger pull, every time. It doesn't go bang unless it's intentional. You can get these for $450 tops

Or, get a Glock. A G19 (that's the short name) is a compact 9mm that holds 15 rounds in it's magazine. A G17 is a little bigger barrels and hols 2 more rounds in the magazine. A G19 can use a G17 magazine. Clocks go for $500 bucks, spend the rest on a lesson and ammo.

You want something just for the house? Get a 12 gauge shotgun with OOO buck shot.

Be safe
edit on 6-12-2015 by ArcAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Okay. Great advice. Thank you. What about a Sig Saur? I want ease of use...but safety first...especially for my wife.

But boy the Glock is really, really sweet. I have never shot a gun straight out of the box that is done so well. I have a Glock 40. That I have put 10,000 rounds through in the last 15 years and I have never cleaned it and it still hammers a nail at 25 feet. If the wife shoots I would go with a 9m, least kick but still gets the job done. But to be honest my Glock 40. has less kick than my S&W bodyguard .38 that kicks like a mother.

I have a Baby Glock with Crimson Laser Sight.

Funny thing, I'm more accurate in target practice without it.

I have a couple other things too.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I have a Baby Glock with Crimson Laser Sight.

Funny thing, I'm more accurate in target practice without it.

I have a couple other things too.

Lasers are good for close up, but I just use the sights and I can hit anything within 50 feet quite well. My aunt is 84 now and she lives in Kansas on about 160 acres. Her house is well away from the road and one day she was down in her field and some guy walks out of some trees and starts walking towards her quickly not saying a word. Well she pulled out her Glock and the guy stopped and ran the other way. People ask why do you need guns and the answer is for that one time in your whole life that the gun could make the difference, and in her case it was once in 84 years.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Depends entirely on your size, your experience in firing a gun, and the state you live in and its gun laws….Rugers are good guns. I might also add what you intend the gun to be used for, primarily.

tetra

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   

We have never owned a gun before...but my wife and I both feel that NOW is the time to purchase one.
We will be buying one in the next several days based upon two reasons;

1.) Home protection & self-defense

2.) Obama's gun control rampage

I'm surprised no one (at least on first 2 pages) suggested a shotgun.

There is no better home defense firearm than a good pump action shotgun that can hold 5+ rounds. In fact they were so damn good at clearing badguys that when the British started using them in the trenches in WW1, the Germans declared them unfair and inhumane warfare!

I'd recommend a Benelli or a Mossberg, but a good ol' Winchester (the original trench clearer) gets the job done just fine.

Shotguns really don't kick that much, but you can go 16 or 20ga if you're worried about it, and the best thing is that you don't really need to aim very well, just point it down the hallway and shoot. Not many intruders are brazen enough to keep coming at you when they hear you rack another round in the chamber. Another benefit of a shotgun is it's not going to go through a wall and hit a neighbors house or car, people etc etc.

We both plan on receiving proper gun training and will be keeping it in a safe.

Get the training and forget the safe!

There is no reason buy a home defense weapon if you're going to keep it in a safe. Imagine waking up to an intruder alarm. Where is the key?!?!? Or what was the combination again?!?! It's going to be like a bad horror movie, and you're fumbling the car keys, adrenaline pumping, hands shaking, while Jason walks toward you with a machete.

With no kids at home, you should keep your gun in a rack bedside or in the nighstand.

Finally if you're hel;bent on a handgun, I absolutely love my Beretta PX4 9mm. 17rd and 21rd magazines mean you're generally not running out of ammo soon, and the gun can be tailored to fit your hand with 3 different back straps.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

We have never owned a gun before...but my wife and I both feel that NOW is the time to purchase one.

I was going to talk about a shotgun but the OP specified handgun. The wife would have to get used to the kick though.

One benefit is you can get shells filled with the less lethal pellets for the folks who really don't want to have to take a life.

Eta, definitely agree with the scary factor, and the fact that you can't miss or go through the walls unless its a slug.

A home defense must have really. If you're serious about defending your home.
edit on 7-12-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

I was going to talk about a shot gun but the OP specified handgun. The wife would have to get used to the kick though.

One benefit is you can get shells filled with the less lethal pellets for the folks who really don't want to have to take a life.

Ah yea, I see now where OP specified pistol.

Again, I'd definitely recommend a shotgun for home defense.

Also OP, I see a lot of people recommending guns that are meant for concealed carry. For a handgun that you might be handling in the dark immediately after waking up (reduced grip strength) you're gonna want a full-size that all of your fingers can easily grip.

I would definitely add an affordable grip activated laser (its really nice in the dark)

Also if your wife has small hands you might want to consider a single-stack pistol (the bullets are stacked directly on top of each other inside the grip). The more common modern full-size guns are double stacked so they fit more rounds in the mag, but the grip is much wider.

Basically find a range with a gun store inside so you can try out a bunch of guns for both of you and find a nice one you both like.

Oh and get the shotgun too just because

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Finger guns for everyone ......

You don't always get what you want.
But you always get what you need .

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
For a handgun I would recommend a Glock 17 or 19, reliable, and the 9mm is a round almost anyone can shoot comfortably. I have a Glock 21 in my nightstand which my girlfriend does not like (.45). The gun on her side of the bed is a Benelli Supernova 12 gauge. It has a recoil management system that I haven't looked into much, but she loves shooting the gun even with defensive loads. Alternate 000 buck and slugs in her gun. If you guys get one gun, find one you both are comfortable with. Start with something mainstream, and don't worry about the ultimate stopping power, or anything else. Go shoot what you buy, and as you get used to it, you will both decide what you like. That will help you in your next purchase.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I would personally buy a Handgun that shoots 40 caliber. I own a S&W 9mm and another handgun that fires 45cal. Both of which are excellent guns. But if your looking for a Handgun that is more for personal defense, home defense, then I recommend the 40 cal range. Due in large part, because of its effectiveness as a good all around size for stopping someone, not being to big, or too small, and can penetrate through just about anything. All of this is opinion, and it will eventually come down to you and your wife. and just what your expectations are for the firearm. Concealed, or Home defense. IF its just home defense, Id be more inclined to get a shotgun first

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArcAngel

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I shoot a pretty fair amount. Hand guns are a mixed bag and difficult to know which one will suit you best. I really recommend going to a range and firing a number of their rental guns to see which feels better.

As far as home defense goes, and when considering a handgun consider a few things:
1. go full frame, much more accurate
2. Semi Autos can jam, a revolver fires every time.
3. When considering caliber a .40, .380 or 9mm gain you many more rounds in the magazine my Beretta px4 storm full frame holds 17 in the mag. The sub compact holds 10
4. A .45 acp on average holds 7-8 in the mag but is much more accurate in my experience

Overall, I would recommend a Kimber .45 4.5 inch barrel, or full frame. They are imo the best made semi auto in the world. Some get very pricey, but you can get a great one in your price range and you will never be disappointed in your choice.

Thanks. Never heard of the Kimber before, but will try one if the shop has one.
I'm making a list of all top recommendations to talk to the dealer about and we'll both try them.

Hiya Iamtat!

Kimbers are expensive and finicky. Not easy maintenance and very tight tolerances. Best shooting gun I own, Kimber tactical Pro II, 1200 new, holds only 8 rounds unless you get Tripp magazines which hold 10 rounds.

As I've said many, many times get either a revolver (i.e. S&W 642 airframe) that shoots .38 or .357. Holds 5 rounds and has no hammer, just a 13 pound trigger pull, every time. It doesn't go bang unless it's intentional. You can get these for $450 tops

Or, get a Glock. A G19 (that's the short name) is a compact 9mm that holds 15 rounds in it's magazine. A G17 is a little bigger barrels and hols 2 more rounds in the magazine. A G19 can use a G17 magazine. Clocks go for $500 bucks, spend the rest on a lesson and ammo.

You want something just for the house? Get a 12 gauge shotgun with OOO buck shot.

Be safe

WOW. Thank you, ArcAngel. Your expertise on this subject is well known here on ATS.

Thank you, EVERYONE.

You've given us much to consider...and I feel better prepared now to make a selection.
First step...go to the range/shop and fire a variety of choices suggested on this thread.
Secondly, I'm seriously considering a good shotgun.

Side note:

You've all been generous in sharing your knowledge and experience...and I'm very grateful.

On a personal note, I've noticed how the love and appreciation of guns is one of the very few topics here on ATS where I have seen members of all sides of the political spectrum come together to unite em-pathetically, passionately and in a spirit of brotherhood about their love of...and the importance of...owning personal firearms.

Guns appear to unite us in a very unexpected manner.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

I WANT ONE !!!!

It really doesn't matter what type of handgun you get as long as it will stop an intruder (by stop I mean kill) and it is fun for you and your wife to shoot and shoot and shoot.

I'd recommend shooting at small paper plates (6 inch diameter) at a range of 30 feet.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join