It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Kind of Hand Gun Do You Recommend?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: pcgamer11

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Scenario:
Someone breaks into our home at night (we have alarm system and it goes off, but this is an immediate threat)...I'm out of town, but my wife is home alone...what should she reach for?

We don't need to obliterate the intruder, but we do want to stop him until police arrive.

Would a lazer site help?

Laser sights are kind of over rated, almost a hollywood thing. BUT I would replace the stock sights with night sights. They are basically the same but they glow in the dark. They use tritium and the stuff will glow for about 10 years before it wears out. She should be able to handle the 9mm just fine. A weapon light would be a good choice also as long as you know how and when to use it. They snap on under the barrel. Those can get expensive though depending. 150-500

Pcg

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Thankyou. I've heard good things about the Glocks.

I with a Sig .40 over the Glock because I liked the fact that the Sig has an external hammer so the wife would know whether it was cocked or not.

Even if the gun is not cocked it will still fire, just with a double action trigger pull.

Pcg

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Also, try youtube. Lots of videos on any gun you can imagine. Safety videos, you name it.

Pcg

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Honestly, if you're buying from that perspective, a nice Ruger .22 is a great choice. You can even buy .22 cci rounds with bird shot and load one of those in the chamber and some full metal or hollows in the mag. That little bird shot round wont necessarily kill the intruder but it will make them run if they still can, and your wife should be able to handle it in most any scenario safely.

Pulling the slide (action) on a larger caliber semi auto can be daunting for more petite frames and frankly under pressure it may be the difference between getting the shot off, or not. Heck a nice .22 revolver might be the option they hold 8 shots in the cylinder, fires every time, no heavy action to slide back (rather than having to keep the thing chambered and "live" all the time.

Oh and a laser sight is a GREAT idea for an inexperienced hand gun shooter...hand guns are not as easy to fire at the intended target as some assume.
edit on 6-12-2015 by BlueJacket because: eta

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: pcgamer11

Even if the gun is not cocked it will still fire, just with a double action trigger pull.

Which is fine because the pull is hard enough to make it a conscious effort.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

I remember those.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

One that shoots fake bullets.

Do you mean blanks? How does that stop an intruder? I don't understand. Sorry.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I would highly recommend that you and your wife take a safety training course on a Saturday or something. A lot of bigger gun ranges will offer safety courses, that not only go over the basic safety guidelines for operating the weapon. But also the local laws in your area with regards to Conceal Carry or Open Carry. I took my CWP safety course and it was very very informative. I had gone target shooting with various weapons in the past, but really gained some knowledge with the laws.

It doesn't sound like you want to conceal and carry, but I would strongly recommend that you and your wife do. It's easy to go out and get a firearm, harder to use it efficiently! I carry a Glock 22 it's a .40 caliber, but there is no "safety" mechanism on the Glocks, just a trigger safety. I like that, but some people might prefer a physical safety switch.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: smitastrophe

I would highly recommend that you and your wife take a safety training course on a Saturday or something. A lot of bigger gun ranges will offer safety courses, that not only go over the basic safety guidelines for operating the weapon. But also the local laws in your area with regards to Conceal Carry or Open Carry. I took my CWP safety course and it was very very informative. I had gone target shooting with various weapons in the past, but really gained some knowledge with the laws.

It doesn't sound like you want to conceal and carry, but I would strongly recommend that you and your wife do. It's easy to go out and get a firearm, harder to use it efficiently! I carry a Glock 22 it's a .40 caliber, but there is no "safety" mechanism on the Glocks, just a trigger safety. I like that, but some people might prefer a physical safety switch.

Currently, we don't yet feel the need to carry it around with us outside the home...but we definitely plan to take the safety training course.

It's funny. We just moved into the area and I think we're the only people in our neighborhood who don't own guns.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Whatever feels right in your hand, shoots right, has a safety, and is relatively easy to chamber/clear.

I have a Ruger LC9. Sigs make my hand sweat for some strange reason. Used to have a bigger Ruger, but carrying was an issue. And the two Glocks I've shot were very smooth and that will probably be my next choice, that and/or the newer strike-fire LC9S Pro. Neither Glock had much in the way of safeties from what I remember. If it's just for home, I'd go with a larger Glock.

Also, get extra mags if what you get doesn't come with.
edit on 12/6/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Whatever feels right in your hand, shoots right, has a safety, and is relatively easy to chamber/clear.

I have a Ruger LC9. Sigs make my hand sweat for some strange reason. Used to have a bigger Ruger, but carrying was an issue. And the two Glocks I've shot were very smooth and that will probably be my next choice, that and/or the newer strike-fire LC9S Pro. Neither Glock had much in the way of safeties from what I remember. If it's just for home, I'd go with a larger Glock.

Also, get extra mags if what you get doesn't come with.

By larger Glock...do you mean the 19?
Sorry. I'm truly a neophyte when it comes to guns.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I'll ask her what it was and let you know...I honestly don't remember. It was larger than my LC9, too large for me to carry, but shot really well...smoothly and accurately.
edit on 12/6/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

WHOA right there. If you've never owned a gun, a Glock is NOT your first pick. It has No External Safeties and may be a bit confusing to a new comer. Get a hand gun with a safety, better yet, get a revolver. The last thing you want, is something you're going to have a hard time trusting. With the Glock, one in the chamber means all you need do is pull the trigger and most who are new to guns do the same dangerous thing, They pick it up AND AUTOMATICALLY PUT THEIR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER. I've seen it hundreds of times. A Glock has a 5.5 lb trigger pull and takes very little effort.
9 mm is not a bad choice, I would NOT advise a Glock for a first time owner.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

That is exactly my rationale in purchasing the Sig. I think Glocks make a poor first weapon option for people who have never shot before.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

WHOA right there. If you've never owned a gun, a Glock is NOT your first pick. It has No External Safeties and may be a bit confusing to a new comer. Get a hand gun with a safety, better yet, get a revolver. The last thing you want, is something you're going to have a hard time trusting. With the Glock, one in the chamber means all you need do is pull the trigger and most who are new to guns do the same dangerous thing, They pick it up AND AUTOMATICALLY PUT THEIR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER. I've seen it hundreds of times. A Glock has a 5.5 lb trigger pull and takes very little effort.
9 mm is not a bad choice, I would NOT advise a Glock for a first time owner.

Okay. Great advice. Thank you. What about a Sig Saur? I want ease of use...but safety first...especially for my wife.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Okay. Great advice. Thank you. What about a Sig Saur? I want ease of use...but safety first...especially for my wife.

My Sig .40 has an external hammer, it has no safety switch but it does have a decocking lever.

My advice is find a range, or friend, who has something you would like to purchase and give it a good test run. The range by me has over 100 handguns to rent and it gives you a good idea how they all feel and perform.

edit on 6-12-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Loaded one?

Go with the Judge and let your wife shoot it first, fun times...

I want to get this, called the Rhino and you can notice the barrel is actually at the bottom of the cylinder and not the top. No up kick at all just straight back. Doesn't fit in the pocket well...hehe I have a S&W bodyguard that does that for that, but damn it is hard to shoot.

edit on 6-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

After listening to internet advice, you should go to a pistol range that offers rentals. Try different styles and calibers before deciding. I love 1911s but you may find you feel more comfortable with a .38 or even a .32.

If the range is like the one by my house, they also sell firearms. It is always better to buy one you can shoot vice one that was recommended. Good luck.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Feltrick

Thanks. There is a range near us.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

But boy the Glock is really, really sweet. I have never shot a gun straight out of the box that is done so well. I have a Glock 40. That I have put 10,000 rounds through in the last 15 years and I have never cleaned it and it still hammers a nail at 25 feet. If the wife shoots I would go with a 9m, least kick but still gets the job done. But to be honest my Glock 40. has less kick than my S&W bodyguard .38 that kicks like a mother.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join