It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Kind of Hand Gun Do You Recommend?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
We have never owned a gun before...but my wife and I both feel that NOW is the time to purchase one.
We will be buying one in the next several days based upon two reasons;

1.) Home protection & self-defense

2.) Obama's gun control rampage

Both of us feel it is better to have one and not need it, rather than to need one and not have it.
We both plan on receiving proper gun training and will be keeping it in a safe. We have no children in the house.
I am a tall, physically fit man and my wife is petite, but fit.
We are willing to spend up to $1000.00.

So, ATS gun owners, what type or brand of pistol do you recommend?

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I'd get something in 9mm. Lots of good choices. Can't go wrong with a Glock 17 or 19, or Springfield Armory XD. People will come on saying 9mm is too weak but with modern bullet technology it does just fine, is cheaper (more practice) and higher capacity. Make sure whichever you get that it feels comfortable and you shoot it well. Lots of police depts. are switching back to 9mm.

Pcg

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: pcgamer11

Thankyou. I've heard good things about the Glocks.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: pcgamer11
I'd get something in 9mm. Lots of good choices. Can't go wrong with a Glock 17 or 19, or Springfield Armory XD. People will come on saying 9mm is too weak but with modern bullet technology it does just fine, is cheaper (more practice) and higher capacity. Make sure whichever you get that it feels comfortable and you shoot it well. Lots of police depts. are switching back to 9mm.

Pcg

What should I expect to spend for the 17 or 19?

link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Thankyou. I've heard good things about the Glocks.

I with a Sig .40 over the Glock because I liked the fact that the Sig has an external hammer so the wife would know whether it was cocked or not.

edit on 6-12-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

link   
Handguns are a very personal choice that requires patience and research. Join a club or range and shoot anything and everything you can get your hands on and choose the gun you feel most comfortable with that is in the budget and is proven to be reliable.

link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Smith & Wesson Governor, or Taurus Judge. Both are compatible with APC rounds, which have three ball bearings, plus scatter. Neither as cumbersome as a shotgun, but equally as effective. Both are easy to handle, for men and women, with adjustable handle grips for larger or smaller hands. Holds six rounds, capable of clipping different casings. Great weight balance for both.

link   
First DP in months
edit on 12/6/2015 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I shoot a pretty fair amount. Hand guns are a mixed bag and difficult to know which one will suit you best. I really recommend going to a range and firing a number of their rental guns to see which feels better.

As far as home defense goes, and when considering a handgun consider a few things:
1. go full frame, much more accurate
2. Semi Autos can jam, a revolver fires every time.
3. When considering caliber a .40, .380 or 9mm gain you many more rounds in the magazine my Beretta px4 storm full frame holds 17 in the mag. The sub compact holds 10
4. A .45 acp on average holds 7-8 in the mag but is much more accurate in my experience

Overall, I would recommend a Kimber .45 4.5 inch barrel, or full frame. They are imo the best made semi auto in the world. Some get very pricey, but you can get a great one in your price range and you will never be disappointed in your choice.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I shoot a pretty fair amount. Hand guns are a mixed bag and difficult to know which one will suit you best. I really recommend going to a range and firing a number of their rental guns to see which feels better.

As far as home defense goes, and when considering a handgun consider a few things:
1. go full frame, much more accurate
2. Semi Autos can jam, a revolver fires every time.
3. When considering caliber a .40, .380 or 9mm gain you many more rounds in the magazine my Beretta px4 storm full frame holds 17 in the mag. The sub compact holds 10
4. A .45 acp on average holds 7-8 in the mag but is much more accurate in my experience

Overall, I would recommend a Kimber .45 4.5 inch barrel, or full frame. They are imo the best made semi auto in the world. Some get very pricey, but you can get a great one in your price range and you will never be disappointed in your choice.

Thanks. Never heard of the Kimber before, but will try one if the shop has one.
I'm making a list of all top recommendations to talk to the dealer about and we'll both try them.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscov

I have the Taurus Raging Judge Magnum as well, I use it for varmints on my farm since it fires .454 magnum, 45 colt and .410 shotgun shells and that .410 is perfect for critters trying to get at my chickens. Since its a pistol I dont have to worry as much about the round traveling too far and causing undesired damage elsewhere.

Its superior to a shotgun for home defense I think as its easier to wield indoors, is made of solid steel so little kick, however if you need to get after something larger, pop a long colt or a .454 in it and you can kill a truck

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
A big one

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: Boscov

I have the Taurus Raging Judge Magnum as well, I use it for varmints on my farm since it fires .454 magnum, 45 colt and .410 shotgun shells and that .410 is perfect for critters trying to get at my chickens. Since its a pistol I dont have to worry as much about the round traveling too far and causing undesired damage elsewhere.

Its superior to a shotgun for home defense I think as its easier to wield indoors, is made of solid steel so little kick, however if you need to get after something larger, pop a long colt or a .454 in it and you can kill a truck

Not sure if my wife could handle the 454 magnum.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Maybe not, its just a nice option with that particular gun. The .410 round kicks about as much as a .22 though and the .45 long colt is actually better than a .40 in a semi auto due to the bull-nose muzzle and over all heft of the weapon.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Scenario:
Someone breaks into our home at night (we have alarm system and it goes off, but this is an immediate threat)...I'm out of town, but my wife is home alone...what should she reach for?

We don't need to obliterate the intruder, but we do want to stop him until police arrive.

Would a lazer site help?

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I live in illinois. A state that requires a FOID card, which I refuse to obtain. So I don't own any guns here. I have chosen other ways of defending myself. There are reasons behind my choices which I won't go into here. Nevertheless, I have a fair amount of experience with a variety of rifles and pistols. I grew up with guns, and I'm comfortable with them.

Buy a name brand, quality gun you both feel comfortable with. The caliber isn't nearly as important as accuracy. Learn your weapon, and learn how to hit your target. A 22 is deadly in the right hands. So imagine what a larger caliber can do. The previous mentions of trying different guns at a range is a good idea. Find what works for you, and practice, practice, practice. Too many people own guns who aren't proficient in their proper use and safety. Don't be one of them.
edit on 12/6/2015 by Klassified because: clarity

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: pcgamer11

Pcg

What should I expect to spend for the 17 or 19?

Around 500 bucks. It will come with a hard plastic case and 3 magazines. The 17 holds 17 rounds, plus one in the chamber. The 19 is a bit more compact and holds 15+1. I'd personally go with the 19. You can even get 33 round magazines that fit both for some real firepower. And yes the Glocks are some of the most, if not most popular. Built very well and very reliable. Whichever you pick, make sure to practice, and learn the safety rules first and you will have no issues.

Pcg

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Home protection & self-defense

Depends on your living situation. I live in a townhouse so I don't want something that'll blast my neighbors living room to bits. 9mm or .22 works for me.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Scenario:
Someone breaks into our home at night (we have alarm system and it goes off, but this is an immediate threat)...I'm out of town, but my wife is home alone...what should she reach for?

We don't need to obliterate the intruder, but we do want to stop him until police arrive.

Would a lazer site help?

Laser sights are kind of over rated, almost a hollywood thing. BUT I would replace the stock sights with night sights. They are basically the same but they glow in the dark. They use tritium and the stuff will glow for about 10 years before it wears out. She should be able to handle the 9mm just fine.

Pcg

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join