It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Kind of Hand Gun Do You Recommend?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: Feltrick

Thanks. There is a range near us.

Most ranges will let you rent guns.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Sig is Great......if you got about $1000 or more to drop on your first gun. Very high quality, worth every penny. You just need a lot of pennies. Stay with the 9mm. A .45 kicks, it's loud and just the thought of shooting the "legendary" big bore pistol is intimidating to some. Get comfortable with one first, then go for the big calibers.

This guy reviews a Lot of guns and is a good place to preview what you're considering. He doesn't work for any company and gives the real low down on each.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Sig is Great......if you got about $1000 or more to drop on your first gun. Very high quality, worth every penny. You just need a lot of pennies. Stay with the 9mm. A .45 kicks, it's loud and just the thought of shooting the "legendary" big bore pistol is intimidating to some. Get comfortable with one first, then go for the big calibers.

This guy reviews a Lot of guns and is a good place to preview what you're considering. He doesn't work for any company and gives the real low down on each.

www.youtube.com...

Thanks. I don't mind spending more for greater quality. 9mm seems like the best bet for my wife, at least.
We may get two....Perhaps the 9mm for her.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Oh good thing to mention. There is some really good stuff on Youtube...spent hours and hours researching there before I got my last one. However, it can be confusing if you don't know where to start.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I have a Glock 40. That I have put 10,000 rounds through in the last 15 years and I have never cleaned it

I just have to ask....Why? I clean mine every time we come back from shooting and can't imagine what 10,000 rounds dirty would look like. A dirty gun is just asking for trouble, no matter how good it's reputation.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
For home defense, you might want to consider a 12 Gauge shotgun as an alternative. My wife is tiny, and she shoots 12G LR (Low Recoil) for hours at the range with no complaints. On the other hand, after firing one box of Magnum rounds, she never wanted to do that again.
If you use 00LR (double-augth), it is comfortable to fire and each trigger pull is like a full clip of 9mm. Aim is much less critical, just aim low to prevent hurting the "intruder" too bad. The lower velocity also minimizes wall penetration and the distance the shot goes.
Many police cruisers have Mossberg 500 Tactical's mounted in between the seats. My wife keeps hers on the headboard.
Putting front grip with a laser site also makes it much more comfortable to use in a "stressed" situation.
500 Cruiser
Subsonic Low Recoil 12G-00

edit on 6-12-2015 by Oleman because: Add link

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

You mean my smirk didn't give you a CLUE?

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Oleman

full clip of 9mm. Aim is much less critical, just aim low to prevent hurting the "intruder" too bad.

It's a. magazine.

The whole point is to STOP the intruder, not give him a love tap. Anyone kicking down your door or attacking you in your own home, is not looking to tuck you in for for a nap. Take them out first, fast and hard. Wounding an intruder will go against you in court. It shows you were not convinced you HAD to shoot to save your life if you shoot to wound.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Personally I would go with a .357 magnum, revolver.

Either ruger, or smith and Wesson.

Revolver because in my experience they are more reliable than a clip weapon.

Caliber .357, because its plenty sufficient, easy to maneuver, still very powerful but not too much.

Given the reliability and look of a revolver, through intimidation alone you may be able to deter a would be invasion without firing a single shot.

Don't hesitate though!
edit on 6-12-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I just have to ask....Why? I clean mine every time we come back from shooting and can't imagine what 10,000 rounds dirty would look like. A dirty gun is just asking for trouble, no matter how good it's reputation.

Because I can and it is my 2nd amendment right not to clean it
and I want to see if I can hit 20,000 without cleaning it, I'll clean it then just for you.

edit on 6-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oleman
For home defense, you might want to consider a 12 Gauge shotgun as an alternative. My wife is tiny, and she shoots 12G LR (Low Recoil) for hours at the range with no complaints. On the other hand, after firing one box of Magnum rounds, she never wanted to do that again.
If you use 00LR (double-augth), it is comfortable to fire and each trigger pull is like a full clip of 9mm. Aim is much less critical, just aim low to prevent hurting the "intruder" too bad. The lower velocity also minimizes wall penetration and the distance the shot goes.

You must have a tough wife, my Mossberg 500 Tactical scared the crap out of my wife and kids even with light rounds...hehe And it is not a light gun at all to say the least.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
I would use the minimum force required to preserve my safety. If someone came through my bedroom door at night, firing a 12G at their legs would very effectively eliminate the threat.
The statement you made *could* be construed as premeditation if you were ever unfortunate enough to be in such a situation.
This is the same reason that any CCP carry trainer will teach you to also carry pepper spray and other "less lethal" options...

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
Personally I would go with a .357 magnum, revolver.

Either ruger, or smith and Wesson.

Revolver because in my experience they are more reliable than a clip weapon.

.357 mag because its plenty sufficient, easy to maneuver, still very powerful but not too much.

Given the reliability and look of a revolver, through intimidation alone you may be able to deter a would be invasion without firing a single shot.

Don't hesitate though!

I hadn't thought of the intimidation factor...as, outside of using "fake bullets" (as some smartass who apparently thinks it's fine if my wife is raped and murdered by intruders, suggested), I'd prefer not to have to kill any intruder if I could avoid it...Still, as you say, I definitely would not count on intimidation alone, either...and wouldn't hesitate to shoot the intruder during a home invasion.
edit on 6-12-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Oleman
I agreed, 12G can be a beast depending on what you feed it. I do not enjoy firing 12G Magnum slug loads. They hurt. The key is using Subsonic Low Recoil shells. Try a box of the stuff I linked. Shooting from the hip, it is much smoother than a full size 9mm. The nickel plating helps the shoot retain shape and hold a tighter pattern. 00 is 9 pellets about the same size as a 9mm slug.
Something else to keep in mind is your wife will likely be in a panic frenzy if such a situation occurs. Simplicity of operation is very important. And, the sound of a 12G racking alone could be enough to cause the intruder to turn tail and run.
My wife is 5'6, 120lb and very delicate. With her Mossberg, she is downright scary.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oleman
Something else to keep in mind is your wife will likely be in a panic frenzy if such a situation occurs. Simplicity of operation is very important. And, the sound of a 12G racking alone could be enough to cause the intruder to turn tail and run.
My wife is 5'6, 120lb and very delicate. With her Mossberg, she is downright scary.

It all takes practice.

I keep a .38 in the kitchen and so I had my wife practice getting it and aiming it in the time it took me to open the front door and walk to the kitchen. I would open the door she would get the alarm message and she needed to get the gun and pull the trigger as I walked in the kitchen. Well it was down right funny at first, but now I would not want to be the poor ass that did it for real.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Oh, these threads always end up with tears, but here I am anyway.

If you have to ask, get a revolver.

S&W .357 is a good choice.

The end.

P.S. once you have some experience and can establish personal preference, you won't need to ask anyone. There are a gazillion options out there and ever one of them is someone's preference. This is like picking out a dog. The right one for anyone else might not be the best one for you.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I have been shooting for many years and enjoy a variety of firearms. I have had conceal carry permits also.

For home defense there are some general things to consider and some mistakes to avoid. First and foremost, I recommend a good gun safety class. It never hurts to stress the fundamentals.

As for choice, that is a fairly personal thing. A good bit of it will be how the gun feels to you. People can recommend brands and models, but really it is how the weapon feels in your hand that matters. Understand that you can change the feel somewhat by changing grips. You can change the trigger pull force by changing the springs in the action and so on. You can personalize the weapon to suit you to some degree. Of course the ability to do that varies with brands and models, but it is something to keep in mind. A trip to a local gun shop will give you a chance to get some hands on experience with a few different guns and give you an idea what feels right to you. Remember that when loaded the gun will be a good bit heavier than when you first handle it.

The two basic choices you have are the six shooter style wheel gun or the semi-automatic. Both have pros and cons and both come in single and double action models. In a self defense situation such as home invasion you don't want to take any more time than necessary to be ready to shoot if you need to. But you don't want the weapon sitting there ready to fire either.

If you choose a wheel gun keeping the wheel unloaded and out of the breech is the safest way to store the weapon. Using a speed loader it is relatively fast to load the wheel and swing it into firing position. If you choose a semi-auto keeping the rack back and the clip out of the receiver is the best way to store the weapon. It is quick and easy to ram the clip and release the rack into firing position. Both of these options require routine maintenance for dust, etc.

All required locks and safety mechanisms should be used but you must keep a common sense approach to it. If you are required to keep the gun in a locked container make sure the key is readily available, though not necessarily easily found by those who do not know its location. Having a gun in a locked case in your nightstand does no good if the key to the lock box is in the garage.

On the subject of caliber it is important to not overdo it. Some people go for the biggest meanest gun they can afford. It isn't necessary. I would recommend either a 9mm or a .357 for home defense. You can buy a .44 magnum if you want but you run the risk of putting a bullet through the home invader, the wall, your neighbors wall, and your neighbor. This is especially true for apartments/condos or homes with a small breezeway between them. A 9mm with a hollow point is not likely to travel far beyond the initial target. You can use a .380 round in a .357 and achieve the same goal, which still allows you to load the .357 magnum when you want to.

Remember that guns with shorter barrels and typically harder to aim and will kick more than guns with longer barrels of the same caliber. The lighter the gun the more it will kick compared to a heavier gun of the same caliber. Its all about the mass being farther away from the radius of gyration. The more mass there is farther away from the point of rotation, the harder it is to move it.

Personally, I prefer Ruger, Colt, and Smith&Wesson for wheel guns and Taurus and Glock for semi-auto. I prefer 9mm and .357 calibers. I tend to prefer semi-auto for defense. My best recommendation would be a Taurus PT92 or something similar.

Before you make your final choice on brands and models it is time to make the most important decision of all. Long before you are faced with a life or death situation, you need to be honest with yourself and decide if you are capable of pulling the trigger if necessary. Making all the right decisions in choosing a weapon mean nothing if you aren't able to use it when need be. When you wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of glass breaking and your door opening is not the time to wonder if you are mentally prepared to defend yourself or not. All situations deserve full compliment of discerning thought prior to action, but some of these critical decisions can and should be made ahead of time.

I hope this helps a little. I am always available and willing to offer insight and the benefit of my experience on this subject. And remember, safety first.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

WOW. Thank you.
I will take ALL this great advice and instruction to heart.
Thank you all.

Side question. Is it a good idea to have a sign or sticker by the doors saying the homeowner is armed?

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I probably don't have to say this but here are some fundamental firearm safety rules.

A gun is ALWAYS loaded, even when it's not.

Be certain whether the safety is on or off and familiarize yourself with each position.

Never put a finger on the trigger unless you intend on firing a round.

Hold that puppy with two hands, and aim down the sights.

Trigger finger should be attached to a straight arm, while the other arm is slightly bent and stabalizing your aim.

I wouldn't recommend gangster style one hand shooting.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: Vroomfondel

WOW. Thank you.
I will take ALL this great advice and instruction to heart.
Thank you all.

Side question. Is it a good idea to have a sign or sticker by the doors saying the homeowner is armed?

I see those signs everywhere, for example I have a relative with a sign that says "nothing in this home is worth your life".

A great deterrent, only an idiot would proceed.

Heck, a no trespassing sign is pretty effective.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join